Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 11:21 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,001,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired at 44 View Post
Do things like this happen often? Or are we talking once or twice a year across all of greater Las Vegas?
Happens all the time. I have a property under contract that has a squatter problem. I will either lower my offer or cancel it depending on how badly they trash the property. Landlords really need to get real tenants into their rental properties before the squatters get to them. While this is a landlord-friendly state, squatters can do significant damage during the time it takes to evict them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 11:49 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Happens all the time. I have a property under contract that has a squatter problem. I will either lower my offer or cancel it depending on how badly they trash the property. Landlords really need to get real tenants into their rental properties before the squatters get to them. While this is a landlord-friendly state, squatters can do significant damage during the time it takes to evict them.
It happens. I look at perhaps 400 or 500 homes a year that are vacant and listed. I have not seen a squatter. I do however know of a couple. Now I generally don't work low end so not often below $150K which I suspect is the target area. And it may also be that homes that do have a squatter problem are pulled from the active market quickly.

So it is not common. But it does occur.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:04 AM

687 posts, read 4,406,152 times
Well, back to step one!
The bank lost in court on Monday. I figured something was up, because the squatters had the power and water turned on yesterday.
The judge said that since the procedure was not handled properly from the beginning, that they have to start over with the proceedings again.

Guess I better go over there and tell them to start watering there danged yard and buy a lawn mower while their at it!

Old 07-09-2014, 09:25 AM

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times
Do you have an HOA? Have they been involved in this at all?

Did you ever contact the local politicians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
Well, back to step one!
The bank lost in court on Monday. I figured something was up, because the squatters had the power and water turned on yesterday.
The judge said that since the procedure was not handled properly from the beginning, that they have to start over with the proceedings again.

Guess I better go over there and tell them to start watering there danged yard and buy a lawn mower while their at it!

Old 07-09-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Do you have an HOA? Have they been involved in this at all?

Did you ever contact the local politicians?
We have no HOA. We have a couple neighbors in the process of talking to the politicians.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:25 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,951,640 times
Quote:
We have no HOA.
Bingo.

Reason #34923 why HOAs are not always the evil corporations people on this board make them out to be.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Bingo.

Reason #34923 why HOAs are not always the evil corporations people on this board make them out to be.
Whats the difference? Even if they moved into an HOA neighborhood, all the same laws would still apply for removing them and the time it takes to get them out.

We do a great job keeping our neighborhood nice and without the hassle of an HOA. Guess you just gotta have a large group of people that share the same standards.

I have seen some neighborhoods that need an HOA more than anything but I guess we've been lucky around here thus far, aside of our little neighbor problem.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:51 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,001,725 times
Quote:
Whats the difference? Even if they moved into an HOA neighborhood, all the same laws would still apply for removing them and the time it takes to get them out.
Absolutely not. The HOA holds the bank's feet to the fire. They're just as happy to levy fines on a bank as they are on deadbeat homeowners.

I would never, ever buy a house in Las Vegas that didn't have an HOA. (I'm not saying all HOAs are good, far from. But for every heavy-handed tyrannical HOA, there are a dozen that do their job quite well.) The reason is that left to their own devices there are simply too many deadbeats and losers who wouldn't care if their neighborhood goes to hell.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Absolutely not. The HOA holds the bank's feet to the fire. They're just as happy to levy fines on a bank as they are on deadbeat homeowners.

I would never, ever buy a house in Las Vegas that didn't have an HOA. (I'm not saying all HOAs are good, far from. But for every heavy-handed tyrannical HOA, there are a dozen that do their job quite well.) The reason is that left to their own devices there are simply too many deadbeats and losers who wouldn't care if their neighborhood goes to hell.
I grew up in a couple towns that had old established neighborhoods and no HOA's but most people took pride in their homes.
I wanted an older neighborhood here and it took a long time to find one that wasnt run down. We got lucky with the one we are in and after 10 years, it finally has a few rentals where people dont take pride in the yards but all in all, the rest of the place is kept up great.

As far as the squatters go, the bank has been put through the wringer with the judge they got, she is known for siding with renters. I dont care how much an HOA rides a banks butt, it's still up to the judge in the end.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:23 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,554,759 times
Who is the judge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas