Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2015, 10:48 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjtjtjt View Post
“It is going to be the default thing and it is going to save a lot of lives,” said Mr. Musk. He added that human driven cars are “too dangerous” and they will be outlawed within the next 20 years. He even said that autonomous cars will be commonplace as early as next year, and his company, Tesla, will be the first to unveil a commercial self-driving vehicle.

from Bidness Etc

an article about who will be the first to come out with a self driving car.
Does anyone else find it strangely bizarre how quickly this technology has developed into a reality? I mean, it's not like we haven't been working on cures for cancer, AIDS, the common cold for much longer and with more money... but no, it's cars... cars is where we see will see real progress.

Oh well, I'll take it. Humans are clearly the weakest link in the chain of events that cause car crashes/death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 10:50 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
I don't buy it. For the drivers it's too lucrative, for the strip clubs, it's too good a marketing tool.

Actually, if Uber was smart, they'd have some sort of destination recommendation system built in the app, and charge potential destinations to be part of that service (or at least to get priority.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I'm leaning the other way. Most of the time you put in your destination in at the time of booking the ride so the rider will already have a destination in mind, I'm not sure how many people call for a car without having a destination. Plus it would put the driver at risk of getting a bad rating if they give an unsolicited recommendation, especially if it results in a more expensive ride. I could even see strip clubs extend their free entry if you arrive in your own car to Uber and Lyft as it would be a win-win for both clubs (not having to pay the kickback) and drivers (more people wanting to use the service in order to avoid cover charges)

Old 06-05-2015, 11:18 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,279,422 times
Quote:
“It is going to be the default thing and it is going to save a lot of lives,” said Mr. Musk. He added that human driven cars are “too dangerous” and they will be outlawed within the next 20 years. He even said that autonomous cars will be commonplace as early as next year, and his company, Tesla, will be the first to unveil a commercial self-driving vehicle.

from Bidness Etc

From the article.
Quote:
The report predicts 2017 will be the “watershed year” for autonomous car technology.
I think they're right that 2017 is going to be the watershed year for autonomous cars. From researching on the web several website posted announcements from companies when they plan to release their version. Of course, there could be some delays depending on each companies process.

Autonomous Cars Wiki

THIS IS BIG: A ROBO-CAR JUST DROVE ACROSS THE COUNTRY

Then there's this: Robot Taxis Will Reshape Urban Landscapes

Quote:
Uber has begun working on robocars with Carnegie Mellon University
How Uber’s Autonomous Cars Will Destroy 10 Million Jobs and Reshape the Economy by 2025 - This one has a nice picture of the uber autonomous car.

There is no doubt self-driving cars are at out doorstep.

7 companies launching driverless cars in the next 5 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Does anyone else find it strangely bizarre how quickly this technology has developed into a reality? I mean, it's not like we haven't been working on cures for cancer, AIDS, the common cold for much longer and with more money... but no, it's cars... cars is where we see will see real progress.

Oh well, I'll take it. Humans are clearly the weakest link in the chain of events that cause car crashes/death.
I'm with you. It all seems so sudden but if you look at the history from wiki it goes way back.

Quote:
Experiments have been conducted on automating cars since at least the 1920s; promising trials took place in the 1950s and work has proceeded since then. The first self-sufficient and truly autonomous cars appeared in the 1980s, with Carnegie Mellon University's Navlab and ALV projects in 1984 and Mercedes-Benz and Bundeswehr University Munich's EUREKA Prometheus Project in 1987.

Since then, numerous major companies and research organizations have developed working prototype autonomous vehicles. including Mercedes-Benz, General Motors, Continental Automotive Systems, IAV, Autoliv Inc., Bosch, Nissan, Renault, Toyota, Audi, Volvo, Peugeot, AKKA Technologies, Vislab from University of Parma, Oxford University and Google.

In July 2013, Vislab demonstrated BRAiVE, a vehicle that moved autonomously on a mixed traffic route open to public traffic. As of 2013, four U.S. states have passed laws permitting autonomous cars: Nevada, Florida, California, and Michigan. In 2015 those four states together with Washington, D.C. will by joined by Virginia in allowing the testing of fully autonomous cars on public roads.

In Europe, cities in Belgium, France, Italy and the UK are planning to operate transport systems for driverless cars, and Germany, the Netherlands, and Spain have allowed testing robotic cars in traffic. In 2015, the UK Government launched public trials of the LUTZ Pathfinder driverless pod in Milton Keynes.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:28 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
I love how they say they'll keep a driver in the cab, even if he's not driving. I wonder how long that will last? I'm guessing not very.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
They announced early last month they're already here in Nevada. I also started to notice there are luxury car ads out on hulu competing with autonomous vehicles. They're raising the question why would anyone want to give up performance and driving. When I first saw Google getting into self driving cars I thought it was kind of sci-fi. Now with the roll out of competing advertising dollars and the self driving semi-trucks on Nevada roads announcement it's becoming a reality.

Freightliner Unveils First Autonomous Semi-Truck Licensed to Drive Itself on Highways

Video

Video

Old 06-05-2015, 11:31 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
They'll keep the driver in the cab for only as long as it takes for the public to get used to robotic vehicles.

Right now, the public's most common experience with robots is the Roomba. And that robot makes it's decisions by bumping into things. It won't take long before savings on goods, higher stock prices for retail and transportation, and fewer accidents sway opinion.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I love how they say they'll keep a driver in the cab, even if he's not driving. I wonder how long that will last? I'm guessing not very.
My first thought when I heard about self-driving semi-trucks already being on the road during daylight hours here in Nevada was about safety.

They said they plan to have the drivers in the trucks for a minimum of two years. Their systems still have trouble navigating during the night time, in different kinds of weather and on some exit ramps.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
They'll keep the driver in the cab for only as long as it takes for the public to get used to robotic vehicles.
I think this is true too. People need to see that it's safe before more legislation is passed in other States for it.

It's kind of like getting used to using plastic for purchases instead of cash, or when everyone starting making their version of the bubble looking SUVs that have become so popular. This is another leap in technology that will change the way we live and look at things.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:18 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,795,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I don't buy it. For the drivers it's too lucrative, for the strip clubs, it's too good a marketing tool.

Actually, if Uber was smart, they'd have some sort of destination recommendation system built in the app, and charge potential destinations to be part of that service (or at least to get priority.)
True but that would require more of a change to their app than Uber would be willing to take. Plus I think Uber users are more tech savvy and are likely to use other tools like yelp to get opinions about the "recommendation."

I still think the better option is for these businesses to offer discounts to Uber riders. Strip clubs already try to avoid have to pay cab drivers by offering free entry if you arrive by their bus or in your own car, so why are they going to take on someone else to pay. I think that they will benefit from people looking to save in both the cost of the ride and not having to pay a cover charge, but the drivers will benefit from more people wanting to take these rides

Old 06-06-2015, 12:55 PM

116 posts, read 126,998 times
Quote:

from Bidness Etc

People like driving cars and Politicians will only outlaw what they can get away with and still keep their jobs.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:04 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBender View Post
People like driving cars and Politicians will only outlaw what they can get away with and still keep their jobs.
No need to outlaw human drivers. Insurance premiums go up 10X. That will pretty much do it. Then the auto guys stop making cars with human controls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas