Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 08:37 PM

46 posts, read 57,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longton52 View Post
Glad to hear the move went smoothly. Congrats. I wondered if not having jobs would make the rental process difficult, but I guess not.
Yes, work is hard to find. (since you're in Summerlin, the Williams Sonoma call center is nearby and hiring for the holidays. As well as Zappos call center downtown)
Good luck!
Thank you I will look into both of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 01:04 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times
solar covers ($50 at home depot work well enough), but wont do much good in winter

i use my pool through october with the solar cover

Old 10-03-2014, 01:11 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
A solar cover will help you keep the heat in at night but they are a pain in the butt to remove and put on.
I tried out a tip I saw on troublefreepool.com and cut mine into strips. I cut it right along the seams into 6' wide sections. It's worked out very well. The pieces pretty much stay in place all the time - except for a little water along the seams you wouldn't know it was cut. And the 6' wide pieces roll up and store easily. A roller is not an option for me since the pool is an irregular shape.

The solar blanket I bought at NPS didn't even last one season. I bought one on Ebay, which was cheaper, even with the LVVWD solar blanket rebate, and it looks like it will last a few seasons at least.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:59 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
I bought my cover from Ebay also and it has lasted me a few years already and its still good. I use a roller and it keeps the pool around 85 up until it gets into the 50s at night. If you heat the pool with a gas heater and leave the cover on, it will keep the heat in for a few days as long as we are still getting good daytime heat (80's).

Old 10-03-2014, 11:17 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,373 times
Solar heating is great but not so good when the nights are cool, cant get mine warm enough during the days now.
Gas is expensive, heat pumps are a nice efficient way to heat a pool and if I had 2500 bucks, I'd have one right now.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:05 PM

15 posts, read 19,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Probably the most common is the solar system where the water is pumped up to your roof and goes through a series of panels to warm. This works but only when your pump is on and you can pretty much count on the system leaking at least every couple years. You have to empty the system in the winter. The best this system usually does is a few degrees warmer than the air. It is not enough to keep your pool swimable year round.
Just some data points based on 5 years in my home:
  • I have a 30,000 gallon pool and 16 panels on my roof. It's only effective May through September. I easily keep my pool at 90 during the summer. I've set it higher (95) and it's just too warm. I'm pretty sure I could keep the pool at a 100 if I wanted to. If I was okay swimming at lower temps, it would probably be useful late April through mid October.
  • I have leaks every year. I normally spend about $500/yr repairing it. I also run the pumps almost 24/7 since I like to swim at odd moments (I run the pumps at 3300 rpm when solar is active). It's probably in the range of $30/mo added cost due to the higher rpms and added run time.
  • I drain mine in the late fall, but I do have a Pentair system controlling the pool and it has a freeze setting that will start the pumps if the temperature gets too low. It's likely sufficient but I'm a belts and suspenders guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas