Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 03:15 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,808,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Sitting and not being active is when your body starts dozing off and getting tired. Just try working repeatedly those 12 hours shifts month after month year after year.
Sitting can kill you in more ways than one. After doing this a while, many drivers develop cardiovascular problems and diabetes and are tired all the time. Attention span and driving becomes impaired....
Very good points that few people know about...

Sitting is also very bad for your spine/discs/vertebrae. In fact, it stresses the back so much more than standing... which is counter-intuitive because sitting is what people do to relax (e.g. from standing too long)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 08:41 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,903 times
Again... Many of us are working 10 hour shifts.. Including myself. Even more so now that we are in the slow season.
And again... We are getting out of the cab to help load and unload luggage.
Many of us keep the cab parked in the cab line and like to get out and stretch while we are waiting for rides...

So I would venture to say that office workers do just as much sitting as we do and probably get their blood flowing less than we do since they dont do any lifting or anything like that.

Put it this way... I used to do industrial work in power plants for about four years. A FULL, mandatory 12-hours standing with little to no sitting. It was also usually between 110-125 degrees in there (highest I ever saw it was 144)... I recall several occasions in which I did not pee for an entire shift because of how much water my body was losing. Not to mention when you blew your nose, the snot was black from how much coal dust you were breathing in.

So maybe taxi driving is detrimental to your health to some people... But not to people who have actually experienced REAL hard labor.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:53 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Are you still against uber coming to town?

Old 11-19-2014, 09:22 AM

To be honest, I dont know how I feel about it yet. I dont think my initial assessments have changed much.
Basically, I don't know how it would work on the strip or at the airport... It would be total chaos. I think the strip and airport are handled pretty well overall by the cabs... Yes, there are dummies who long haul. I would 100% be in favor of having a full time TA or Metro officer stationed in the tunnel, cracking down on it. That would make the cab riders happier and the legit/honest cabbies happier as well.
I talked to a fella the other day in my cab who flew here on business. Turned out his company makes the dispatch computers we have in our cabs. Apparently they are getting ready to launch tracking systems similar to what Uber has. You'll be able to text request a cab and both parties will be able to track each other.
I think they should put these systems in our restricted cabs (the ones who can't pick up on the stop, downtown or airport) and test it out in the suburban routes. It's smart that they are implementing this because this was one of the biggest problems customers had about the cabs - not being able to tell if they are really on their way or not.
I think if we can get the tracking service going and if we could cut out the longhauling, people would be a heck of a lot happier with us... But since TA and Metro won't be stationed in the tunnel, it's up to individual cabbies to make the right choice.

Fun fact: The cabbie in front of me looks EXACTLY like John Hammond.. The hat and all. If I had that working for me, I think I'd have to be like, "Welcome... To Jurassic Park" each time someone gets in.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:35 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times
They said on the radio that 34 citations and vehicle impoundments have occurred in the last several weeks.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:42 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
To be honest, I dont know how I feel about it yet. I dont think my initial assessments have changed much.
Basically, I don't know how it would work on the strip or at the airport... It would be total chaos. I think the strip and airport are handled pretty well overall by the cabs... Yes, there are dummies who long haul. I would 100% be in favor of having a full time TA or Metro officer stationed in the tunnel, cracking down on it. That would make the cab riders happier and the legit/honest cabbies happier as well.
I talked to a fella the other day in my cab who flew here on business. Turned out his company makes the dispatch computers we have in our cabs. Apparently they are getting ready to launch tracking systems similar to what Uber has. You'll be able to text request a cab and both parties will be able to track each other.
I think they should put these systems in our restricted cabs (the ones who can't pick up on the stop, downtown or airport) and test it out in the suburban routes. It's smart that they are implementing this because this was one of the biggest problems customers had about the cabs - not being able to tell if they are really on their way or not.
I think if we can get the tracking service going and if we could cut out the longhauling, people would be a heck of a lot happier with us... But since TA and Metro won't be stationed in the tunnel, it's up to individual cabbies to make the right choice.

Fun fact: The cabbie in front of me looks EXACTLY like John Hammond.. The hat and all. If I had that working for me, I think I'd have to be like, "Welcome... To Jurassic Park" each time someone gets in.
Is there a such thing as celebrity impersonator taxi drivers? I can imagine that the tips would be great.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Is there a such thing as celebrity impersonator taxi drivers? I can imagine that the tips would be great.
You're right. They would totally make a killing on tips.
There is one taxi driver who gets out and juggles at red lights... I don't know how his employers allows this or how he hasn't been ticketed for doing it, but I'm sure he does pretty well.
One ridiculously attractive woman from Switzerland once told me I look like a slightly younger Zach Galifinakis. I'm pretty sure that's not a good thing.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:50 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
I guess we'll find out shortly..

Nevada high court fast-tracks Uber venue question - 8 News NOW

Old 11-19-2014, 04:45 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times
Quote:
Again... Many of us are working 10 hour shifts.. Including myself. Even more so now that we are in the slow season.
And again... We are getting out of the cab to help load and unload luggage.
Many of us keep the cab parked in the cab line and like to get out and stretch while we are waiting for rides...

So I would venture to say that office workers do just as much sitting as we do and probably get their blood flowing less than we do since they dont do any lifting or anything like that.

Put it this way... I used to do industrial work in power plants for about four years. A FULL, mandatory 12-hours standing with little to no sitting. It was also usually between 110-125 degrees in there (highest I ever saw it was 144)... I recall several occasions in which I did not pee for an entire shift because of how much water my body was losing. Not to mention when you blew your nose, the snot was black from how much coal dust you were breathing in.

So maybe taxi driving is detrimental to your health to some people... But not to people who have actually experienced REAL hard labor.
Is this guy for real? Are you sure you are a driver? The far majority of drivers will side with me. Taxi driving SU KS AND IS DANGEROUS .in more ways than one as stated!

Old 11-19-2014, 07:28 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,808,496 times
Quote:
We are getting out of the cab to help load and unload luggage.
That's good.. It certainly helps
Quote:
Most certainly true... You're doing great, keep going

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas