Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 11:58 AM

33 posts, read 53,612 times

Advertisements

Hi I will be moving to the Las Vegas area in June but I will be in town next week to switch to a Nevada license for work purposes. I will be using a family members address (with the same last name) and I have my bank statements and credit card statements already switched to that address. I also have my Sprint cell phone bill switched to that address. Now...I have done my homework and I looked up all the needed proof of address documents I would need to obtain a License in Nevada, but if I am missing something or if anyone has any advise they could give me to make this as LESS stressful as possible, that would be greatly appreciated. I have heard some things about the DMV system in Nevada but I wouldn't think that it could be as bad as the ones here in Chicago. Any advise would help before I fly out to Vegas and realize that I forgot something. THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 12:01 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
What they have on the web is exactly what you need. Be prepared to wait a long time!

Old 03-23-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
What they have on the web is exactly what you need. Be prepared to wait a long time!
Ive been told to be prepared to wait a while and not to leave once im in the building just in case they call my number.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:03 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,031,264 times
Go to the DMV website and learn to use Dash Pass. You might be able to cut your wait time to 30 minutes or less.

Also, make sure that the documentation for your personal identification is adequate for 'Real ID'.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:42 PM

529 posts, read 512,460 times
You can get in line on the DMV website and not have to go there in person. It will text you every 30 minutes to tell you how long your wait is. I renewed in January and it took 9 hours. I checked in around 11am and wasn't done until 8pm. You must be in the office by 5pm or they will lock you out.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:54 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedang View Post
Hi I will be moving to the Las Vegas area in June but I will be in town next week to switch to a Nevada license for work purposes. ...
Just be advised that some people switch to a Nevada license plate for state tax purposes but don't actually move here. Those people are typically in for quite a shock as their home state's taxing authority has a very good chance of figuring it out.

Just sayin' .

Old 03-24-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Just be advised that some people switch to a Nevada license plate for state tax purposes but don't actually move here. Those people are typically in for quite a shock as their home state's taxing authority has a very good chance of figuring it out.

Just sayin' .

I am actually moving to Nevada in June. I work in the Automotive industry and my work requires me to have a Nevada drivers license for insurance purposes.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Go to the DMV website and learn to use Dash Pass. You might be able to cut your wait time to 30 minutes or less.

Also, make sure that the documentation for your personal identification is adequate for 'Real ID'.
Ok I will do that but is there real difference with the Real ID??

Old 04-02-2015, 12:12 PM

Update:

I used the dash pass system which worked great for me. I arrived about 7:30 am and the line was crazy as they don't open until 8am. I was able to use the dash pass system via text message at about 7:45am to hold my position in line as i stood there. I got in about 8:15 and got to the desk. The lady asked for my phone number and i told her that i had already been in line with the dash pass. My updated time to wait was 19 min. And the lady said the wait was 2-3 if i hadn't used it. By the time i got in at 8:15 i was finished at 8:45 and walking to my car. People that were in line waiting in front of me were still waiting to be seen. The Dash Pass works great!

Old 04-02-2015, 12:24 PM

930 posts, read 1,818,480 times
one of the criticisms of dash pass was it gave an unfair advantage over those who dont have the technology to use it but nowadays , who doesn't own a cellphone??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: