Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:31 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times

Advertisements

I assume you're talking about the CCSD breakup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofvegasgirls View Post
I wonder if there is a successful model for doing this anywhere else in the country? As the 5th largest district in the United States, how do you even begin to do this? As much as it probably SHOULD be done, I'm not sure anyone in charge has an inkling of how these changes would be implemented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 02:05 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
It might be difficult. I wonder if the magnet schools would be negatively affected. The Magnet program is great IMHO.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:13 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,018 times
I'm for it. Anything that breaks up the current power structure is a good thing.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:34 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
If CCSD is broken into five parts, we will have five carbon copies of poor CCSD administration.

Where do you think all the administrators are going to come from? The same place as the currents administrators came from.

We'll just have five districts buying the same materials and supplies five times. We'll pay for five directors of school transportation and five IT directors and all of them will do the exact same thing.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:53 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
States like Texas that have independent school districts coming out the wazoo discriminate against poor districts, so the education problem actually is worse. Breaking it up will only cost more, and create districts that people will try to send their kids to even if they live in another district. Mesquite, Searchlight, Indian Springs, and Laughlin are the only towns that maybe should have their own districts IMHO.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:09 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
States like Texas that have independent school districts coming out the wazoo discriminate against poor districts, so the education problem actually is worse. Breaking it up will only cost more, and create districts that people will try to send their kids to even if they live in another district. Mesquite, Searchlight, Indian Springs, and Laughlin are the only towns that maybe should have their own districts IMHO.
Indian Springs would be bankrupt in a month or two. No tax base. I suspect the same in Searchlight.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:40 PM

210 posts, read 449,604 times
A tale of two hearings: How bill to break up CCSD made comeback - Las Vegas Sun News

The Bi-Partisan support is really surprising. I am and have been in favor of this breakup for sometime. Bigger when it comes to education is ALWAYS worse...whether is be larger school districts or class sizes.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:54 PM

I don't buy this. I live in NYC. The NYC metro area has a large number of school districts of various sizes. Some of the smallest, and THE largest (NYC.) So of them are terrible (NYC's probably down near the bottom.) But some are the best in the country (Chappaqua, Great Neck South, among others.) These towns have a strong commitment to their schools, and are willing to pay for it.

I have a feeling if CCSD is broken up, it will stratify the same way. The districts who have richer families that are willing to pay for better education will get better schools, and visa versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
If CCSD is broken into five parts, we will have five carbon copies of poor CCSD administration.

Where do you think all the administrators are going to come from? The same place as the currents administrators came from.

We'll just have five districts buying the same materials and supplies five times. We'll pay for five directors of school transportation and five IT directors and all of them will do the exact same thing.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:54 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecd3easy View Post
A tale of two hearings: How bill to break up CCSD made comeback - Las Vegas Sun News

The Bi-Partisan support is really surprising. I am and have been in favor of this breakup for sometime. Bigger when it comes to education is ALWAYS worse...whether is be larger school districts or class sizes.
It will sure be interesting. Sounds like a slice approach. That would not be very well liked in Henderson or the west side both of which want to escape the rest of the valley.

I wonder if you could do an overlay district with all the weak schools and vastly higher funding?

Old 04-17-2015, 12:58 PM

I'm assuming the funding would be some combination of state money plus local taxes. Also, some of the tiny towns will likely tack on to the closest bigger town. Searchlight would probably tack on to Boulder City or Laughin, for example. Then again, these town are not going to have a whole lot of kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Indian Springs would be bankrupt in a month or two. No tax base. I suspect the same in Searchlight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas