Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 12:32 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,861,555 times

Advertisements

It took me a while to realize that the traffic & driving rules in Las Vegas are different than those in many other jurisdictions:
  • If you are on the freeway (I-15, 215, 95, etc) and you wish to switch lanes, don't use your blinker. Doing so just signals to a car in that lane to hit the gas & close ranks so you cannot safely merge.
  • On a major boulevard, do not leave more than 5 feet between the nose of your car and the bumper of the car in front of you. Elsewhere, this would be considered tailgating, but here it is a signal to that car in front of you that you are more important than they are & they should move out of your way.
  • The actual speed limit is the posted speed limit plus the larger of (20) or (30% of the posted limit)
  • It is perfectly acceptable to eat food, drink coffee and talk on a cell phone all at the same time as you drive a car
  • The taller your truck, the more important you are.
  • Crosswalks are a place where, as a motorist, you get to scare the crap out of pedestrians.
  • The middle finger is an acceptable way to communicate with other motorists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 12:35 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,636,745 times
Actually i have a 'lane entry' rule.
If the car is Nevada, I can change lanes safely
If the car is California I cannot change lanes safely
If the car is Utah, i Cannot change lanes safely

Jonathan

Old 05-10-2015, 01:36 PM

2,536 posts, read 2,735,318 times
It is acceptable for me to cut in front of you in the left turn lane if you get the green arrow before I get the green light in my lane.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:30 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
It took me a while to realize that the traffic & driving rules in Las Vegas are different than those in many other jurisdictions:
  • If you are on the freeway (I-15, 215, 95, etc) and you wish to switch lanes, don't use your blinker. Doing so just signals to a car in that lane to hit the gas & close ranks so you cannot safely merge.
  • On a major boulevard, do not leave more than 5 feet between the nose of your car and the bumper of the car in front of you. Elsewhere, this would be considered tailgating, but here it is a signal to that car in front of you that you are more important than they are & they should move out of your way.
  • The actual speed limit is the posted speed limit plus the larger of (20) or (30% of the posted limit)
  • It is perfectly acceptable to eat food, drink coffee and talk on a cell phone all at the same time as you drive a car
  • The taller your truck, the more important you are.
  • Crosswalks are a place where, as a motorist, you get to scare the crap out of pedestrians.
  • The middle finger is an acceptable way to communicate with other motorists
I don't know where you're from, but it's a he** of a lot worse than that back east in almost any state. The exception might be Maryland where they are so afraid of the police that everybody drives at least 5 mph UNDER the speed limit. And, of course, certain parts of Pennsylvania and Ohio, where they grab for the reins before they realize it's a steering wheel now.

Then there are the California drivers who, after they cut you off by squeezing into a half car length space, turn on the blinker for one blink while slowing down for no good reason at all. This even though the lane they were in had nobody ahead of them, and they really didn't need to change lanes for any reason.

Nearly every driver you see in Las Vegas came here from one of those rude states, and haven't learned to drive correctly yet.

A woman from California asked me once why everybody drives so slow here. I said, I don't know, since 80% of them came from California.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:37 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,111,878 times
If I am in a parking lot, I can drive like a guided missile and be completely oblivious to the fact that someone may be pulling out of a parking space or walking into or out of the establishment.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:03 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,990,921 times
Lord have mercy...try driving in Northern Virginia...there are apparently NO rules at all... no middle finger signals, no nothing...total free for all....we have no manners here. Drive 50 miles south...and rules abound! So civilized!

Old 05-10-2015, 07:34 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,805,539 times
i'm super extra cautious in parking lots, because there are so many clowns abusing the laws there

you gotta love the numerous 3 lane roads here where nobody respects the fast lane, i often see people driving at 5-mph or more under the speed limit in that lane with no intention of turning left any time soon

Old 05-10-2015, 07:51 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,810,629 times
I notice drivers making more U-turns in the Las Vegas area than elsewhere. No stats or official info to back that up, just an observation.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:17 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,480,500 times
All of the crying about Vegas drivers and traffic makes me laugh!
Out of all of the places I've driven/lived, LV was one of the best/easiest to drive around.

I will say that if I saw a CA plate I prepared myself for them to do the dumbest stuff and was usually correct...knowing that was the only thing I really had to watch out for.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:19 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Most stupid damn driver I've seen so far had Washington plates. Idiot was in a lane that was ending for construction and was clearly marked for two blocks. Pulled up on my right side (sped up to get there - and there was no one behind me) and started moving over. He was apparently as deaf as he was stupid as my constant honking did not alert him to the fact that there was a car right next to him. Mrs. Tek was with me so I had to behave.

Old fart driving in Washington la-la land. I let him in and watched him lane dance for the next twenty blocks doing the same crap to other drivers. I foresee a shooting death in his future.

And I still enjoy the Vegas Slide. I see it all the time. pick a far lane, left or right, and wait until you are 1/2 block from your destination which is on the other side of the street. Slide across all lanes regardless of any other cars on the street, slam on your brakes, and turn (or stop, depending).

It's more fun to watch the Vegas Swoop on the freeways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: