Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:56 PM

8 posts, read 32,344 times

Advertisements

I'm a 25/single mom of a 5 year old, and she'll be attending kindergarten this year. I'm in the process of getting plans and $$ together to move to LV by this summer so I've got to get some arrangements going for some type of childcare after kindergarten. Because I'm a single parent, I can't afford to pay hundreds of dollars every month for childcare. Are there any options available for me with my income? (i.e. some type of low or moderate income childcare)? And/or can someone recommend some great daycare facilities for my daughter? I haven't obligated myself to any one area so I'm open to different suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 11:21 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,918,186 times
Most schools out here have afterschool programs. I think they watch the kids until 5 or 6, either for free or at a very low cost.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:35 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,490,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Most schools out here have afterschool programs. I think they watch the kids until 5 or 6, either for free or at a very low cost.
That's part of the problem...too many parents look at schools as low-cost babysitting services. And the fact that schools have these "after school" programs is proof that they have accepted their role in childcare, as opposed to teaching. A teacher today, in that environment, is simply a well-paid babysitter.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:56 AM

818 posts, read 3,697,642 times
I don't understand. If a single parent is working, they are somehow better parents if they pay a large sum for childcare versus using a public program designed to help them out?

I agree that education has problems - but you're jumping to conclusions here.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,974 times
You can check with the Child Care EOB for possible assistance. Their address is 500 W. Washington LV 89106 and their phone is (702) 387-0985. If they can help, be prepared to go onto a waiting list. KinderCare seems to be pretty prevalent in this area but I would talk with co-workers, friends, etc about their preferences. Good luck!

Old 01-22-2008, 02:28 PM

560 posts, read 2,187,601 times
I can highly recommend All Saint's Day school on Washington at Valley View. They also have kindergarten there although you do have to pay for it. They are very reasonable when it comes to childcare and it is a very loving caring school.

Some of the public schools offer all day kindergarten which you may or may not be able to qualify for. It is difficult to find good childcare out here, it does take a little digging and it is one of those areas where you really do get what you pay for.

Good Luck.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:40 PM

84 posts, read 390,902 times
I moved to Boulder City from Las Vegas 4 years ago when I became a single mom of 2 kids. My son was in kindergarten and my daughter was in 4th grade. I lived close enough to work in Las Vegas and the kids went to Boulder City schools. The Elementary school now offers all day kindergarten, I believe, with a small fee. I sent my kindergartener to Oaklane Preschool. They had the cheapest rates compared to any other preschools in Las Vegas and Henderson. It is a very small preschool and it is very structured and the kids learn a lot there, even Spanish.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
That's part of the problem...too many parents look at schools as low-cost babysitting services. And the fact that schools have these "after school" programs is proof that they have accepted their role in childcare, as opposed to teaching. A teacher today, in that environment, is simply a well-paid babysitter.
These "after school" programs are not taught by teachers. It is run by the city's recreation center. It has nothing to do with the school districts.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:52 PM

278 posts, read 1,083,842 times
First off, you will want to look into schools that offer all day kindergarten. some are free and some are $300 a month. The schools offer a safekey program before and after school. Starting a 7am and ending at 6pm(you will have to check on this time). It is relatively inexpensive. It is worth comparing the price of child care centers verses Safekey.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:26 AM

I send my son to safekey before and after school and I pay $44 per week. It's cheaper if you only need after school care or before school care. I do both. The hours are 7:00-8:10 in the morning and 2:45-6:00 after school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas