Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 01:07 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times

Advertisements

Now this ought to be a wild ride. Silverstone closed on its sale. Sounds like not going to be a golf course anymore. But that has all sorts of ramifications.

I would suspect changes to its usage will take land use and zoning changes. And those will be very hard to come up with if there is organized resistance. I would expect the Silverstone HOA to go to war.

Tough though. At Spanish Trail the place is gated so you have to be able to get cooperation from the HOA to access the property. Not true at Silverstone where I would think the major roads are dedicated.

What now? Let the property degrade I presume. Make it ugly for those who live on the course. Certainly not going to water an inoperative golf course.

Duffers be gone as Silverstone Golf Course sold, closed - News3LV

Silverstone Golf Club closed; future uncertain | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Last edited by lvoc; 09-04-2015 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 03:00 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,343,494 times
Got a tweet the night it closed, not at all surprised as it has never recovered from the recession and multiple management groups have run it into the ground. Of course, having 6 figure monthly water bills does not help but lack of customer service and poor conditions were enough for people to go elsewhere.

Still is a shame as a former member to see what was a beautiful course and clubhouse gone.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:17 PM

165 posts, read 209,455 times
I made an offer on a house up there back in 2013 when I was house shopping. At the time I was pretty bummed out when my listed price offer wasn't accepted. I guess I really dodged a bullet there.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:43 PM

638 posts, read 594,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post

Tough though. At Spanish Trail the place is gated so you have to be able to get cooperation from the HOA to access the property.

How healthy is the golf course at Spanish Trail, any danger of closing? I heard that 9 holes were closed for quite some time there?

Old 09-04-2015, 09:30 PM

There is some word that Badlands might go down to 18 holes to get some housing put in place.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:17 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,326,728 times
I've read that this is happening all over the country. Young people simply aren't golfing at the rate their parents did and have far less interest in the country club lifestyle. In municipalities with a lot of courses, some advanced planning should be done on what's the best way to convert those properties to other productive uses. Certainly the controversy won't be limited to this one club.

I grew up in a Pennsylvania town with a pretty 9-hole course built in the 1920s that bordered the elementary school. The sight of the course was an attractive asset to the community. I understand it's gone to ruin. Someone bought the course, closed down the golfing, and is just sitting on the land. He's had two reasonable offers from developers, but has turned them down, imagining this property will continue to appreciate into the future. It's a small town, so he's actually ruining the whole place. He's already succeeded in devaluing all the homes on the roads surrounding the mess. That cannot be good for a neighborhood.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:28 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,047,026 times
Wow! I feel sorry for all the people who bought there. I know I would be angry if I had paid high HOA to have a golf course and they sold it out from under me!

Old 09-05-2015, 06:41 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Wow! I feel sorry for all the people who bought there. I know I would be angry if I had paid high HOA to have a golf course and they sold it out from under me!
The fun and nasty part of all that is that it can't happen. Zoning and land use can make it very difficult...and this is one of those places. I will see if I can dig up the actually zoning etc. But they certainly will have to change the land use and zoning to do anything with that property.

The bad news is that the next act of the owner is unfortunately clear. He abandons the property. Cut off the water and ignore it for a few years. See if the bordering properties like that. Object is to make it as undesirable as possible so the border owners would rather have anything rather than what they got. Does not always work. In some situations the view may be fine and the border owners would find desert more desirable than a golf course.

Other places you may have to find a way to access some segments. There are a number of segments inside gated portions of the community. And you will play hell getting access across their roads without a deal.

The bad news though is the new owner is probably not going to do anything but ignore the property for a few years and I doubt there is anything the border owners can do about that. And that has to sting in terms of property value. So don't sell until it resolves. Icckkk.

Note by the way this property was earlier the source of one of the great zoning double crosses. Many years ago it was zoned as horse property and well defended...it was well interion to the equistrian neighborhoos and against the park. So simply impossible to get down zoned. But they did get the zoning changed. It was rezoned as a destination resort with acres of greenery and a singlek or pair of high rise towers. No single family homes. That turned out to be very difficult to get funding for. So eventually Pulte bought it. And then through some magical and non voted on process it got converted into a planned community. It was frigging unbelievable...particular in Clark County...this was the days of the witches so no claim it was honest. But this one occurred without being touched by human hands...Penn and Teller would have been proud.

Actually was not a bad property...but it does have a wild and wooley history.

Last edited by lvoc; 09-05-2015 at 06:50 PM..

Old 09-06-2015, 09:21 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,368,438 times
It only takes a little money in the right pocket to get whatever zoning you want in this town. You know that.

Where is Silverstone?

Old 09-06-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
It only takes a little money in the right pocket to get whatever zoning you want in this town. You know that.

Where is Silverstone?
North of Buffalo/Grand Teton where Arbor View HS is located. Take Buffalo until you can't go any further then take a left on Cupp Drive, go all the way back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas