Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 11:42 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times

Advertisements

what type of pool heater did you get?

also if you have pets, i would avoid the cover at all costs... they could fall in and drown... i had a cover for a day.. my dog thought he could walk over it and fell in... luckily we were there when it happened
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 12:42 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,587,847 times
I put in a gas 400k BTU Sta-Rite Max E Therm which is like the Pentair Master Temp. Size wise it is a very compact unit and apparently fairly easy to work on. I tried to do a lot of research on which one to buy and this is the one I came up with.

My old heater was a Hayward 400k Btu heater, the new one heats significantly faster than the Hayward.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:28 AM

2,536 posts, read 2,734,602 times
Can you use the same gas line that the BBQ uses or does it have to be a separate line?

Old 09-20-2015, 07:13 AM

It has to be a separate line due to the larger volume of gas needed.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:38 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
what type of pool heater did you get?

also if you have pets, i would avoid the cover at all costs... they could fall in and drown... i had a cover for a day.. my dog thought he could walk over it and fell in... luckily we were there when it happened
Any pool can take out a dog. The small and old are the one at risk. You need to make sure they have an escape route if they fall in. Most dogs can get out reasonable stairs or a beach entry. Next door neighbor lost his old pooch to his pool. Was likely getting a drink and fell in.

Ours is a safety cover and can be walked on and the prior dog used to love to run across it. the present one won't get near it.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:56 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
I put in a gas 400k BTU Sta-Rite Max E Therm which is like the Pentair Master Temp. Size wise it is a very compact unit and apparently fairly easy to work on. I tried to do a lot of research on which one to buy and this is the one I came up with.

My old heater was a Hayward 400k Btu heater, the new one heats significantly faster than the Hayward.
I have the same one but its nowhere near as fast..wonder if they need servicing

Old 09-21-2015, 11:04 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
Quote:
Do you remember the brand name and model of the one on ebay?
Thanks.
I looked it up in my Ebay history. The one I have was purchased 10/2013. It was a 12 mil solar blanket sold by poolproducts.com. I think this is the same one I bought:

16x32 Inground Solar Blanket Swimming Pool Cover 12 Mil Rectangle | eBay

I do a rough cut to size with a utility knife, just to get the extra material off the deck, then after it has sat on the pool for a few days, I come back with heavy duty scissors and cut it to fit.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:47 AM

Quote:
I'm actually in the market for a 400k BTU pool heater. I was at NPS today and they have both the Sta-Rite and Pentair in stock, as well as a similarly priced Hayward.

The guy I talked to recommended the Pentair. His claim was that the control panels on the Hayward and Sta-Rite are exposed, and he's convinced that it leads to early failure of the controller board when heaters sit exposed to the sun in this climate. He said the Pentair has a plastic cover over the controls, and that little three dollar piece of plastic and and the airspace under it provides enough protection to the display and control panel that controller board failures are far less common on the Pentair.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:09 AM

With all due respect, the Pentair Master Temp and Sta Rite Max E Therm are exactly the same unit. The only difference is the casing. The Sta Rite is a Dura Glass fiberglass type case and round where the Pentair is a square metal Case. They both use the same controller board and other parts.

I did a fair amount of investigation on all of these including the Hayward H Series (which was my last heater) and the Raypak which is a very basic heater.

The Pentair, Sta Rite and Hayward all have induced draft ie: a blower that helps heat more efficiently. The Raypak does not. The Raypak is a builder basic unit which isn't as efficient but on the flip side because of that it doesn't have as many moving parts to repair and is cheaper to buy.

I did speak to salesmen at both NPS and Leslies but only just to gather data and their opinions. I felt it was much more important to speak to the people who actually repaired the units rather than someone who is trying to sell me something. I spoke to my pool person who does most of my repairs as well as Sun Devil Pools who ultimately installed my Sta Rite system. I also went to poolsuppliesunlimited who carrried everyone's heater and got data from there.

What I found was that the round Sta Rite Max E Therm was the most serviceable. Because of it's casing (Dura Glass not metal) it is easy to replace the control unit (only 4 screws) and the replacement cost of the control unit was much cheaper than Hayward or Raypak. Additionally, due to the round case you can turn and position the controller basically 360 degrees to locate where it is easy for you to see and/or get to. This is not the case with the Pentair. Also the Pentair is harder to get into the box to get to the controller ie higher labor prices.

The Pentair and Sta Rite do have a smoked plastic cover to shield the digital readout. Care must be taken to keep this shield over the digital readout or it will fade in the sun. My Hayward only had led's and they faded too although they lasted 15 yrs.

I didn't go with another Hayward as the pool techs stated it is hard to get parts for them. In fact they couldn't get parts to repair mine. Reason is that they change models frequently and a lot of the parts are not interchangeable. On the flip side, Raypak doesn't change designs very often so their parts are very interchangeable but I didn't want a basic heater without a blower.

I also looked at reviews online and every brand had good and bad reviews. What I did find is that most of the Pool Heater manufacturers balk on paying warranty claims on heaters that are not installed by a factory certified pool tech. Many complaints on heaters bought via Amazon for that.

The unit I bought is warrantied for 2 years since it was installed by a licensed authorized pool tech. The Sta Rite unit also has a much smaller footprint too which I liked. Some are turned off by the R2D2 look of the Sta Rite so the Pentair would be the other choice.

Anyway that is my take on the issue.

Last edited by Packrat1; 09-27-2015 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: Edit

Old 09-28-2015, 01:32 AM

Quote:
With all due respect, the Pentair Master Temp and Sta Rite Max E Therm are exactly the same unit. The only difference is the casing. The Sta Rite is a Dura Glass fiberglass type case and round where the Pentair is a square metal Case. They both use the same controller board and other parts.
I'm aware of that, that's why I pointed out such a minor difference as the presence or absence of the plastic cover over the control panel. I've never seen the Sta-Rite Max E Therm in person, but in every picture I've seen, I can't see a cover over the control panel.

I had mine installed on Friday. The Pentair Master Temp has a plastic enclosure, not metal, and its footprint is 21"x23", which is not much different than the 25" diameter footprint of the Sta-Rite, maybe even a little smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: