Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 06:19 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times

Advertisements

So my brat, who has never been out of the desert southwest, is moving to Poughkeepsie, NY.

He's excited to see snow, and trees.

I already warned him about leaving a libertarian state for a very regulated state ( they choked a guy out for selling loose cigarettes) the weather, and the sticker shock.

I'm hoping this will be a very positive experience for him, and that he will either decide that Vegas is in fact hell on earth, or he'll appreciate what he has come to loathe.

Not many native Las Vegans about, so I gave him a cap, and told him it would strike up conversations.

East coasters- what did I miss for my desert rat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 06:41 PM

15,823 posts, read 14,463,105 times
It'll be a shock to him when his paycheck looks like it's half what he was expecting, and everything is twice what he's used to in Vegas.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
It'll be a shock to him when his paycheck looks like it's half what he was expecting, and everything is twice what he's used to in Vegas.
Won't his wages be double as well? Everyone blasts LV for a shortage of college educated or IT workers in this valley, but the following job link is an example. They want a BS degree, ten years of experience, and Sigma Six certification. Responsible for multi- state implementations. Unskilled workers make a lot more, and no student loans.

Starting pay : 13.50 per hour + doe.

Mgr, Project - Patient Svcs - Las Vegas, NV (covers both Pacific NW and Nevada) Job | Beyond.com

Old 01-07-2016, 06:53 PM

222 posts, read 225,813 times
he'll miss roadways set on a grid.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:55 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
No, his wages won't be double. He can claw his way up the ladder and get to the point where the wages/cost-of-living ratio approaches Las Vegas.

But make sure he knows he's in for a long hard slog at first. He's probably going to need friends/roommates (preferably the same people) to help him get through.

I put myself through school three hours away, and without a lot of people giving me opportunities, I never would have made it.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basnobua View Post
he'll miss roadways set on a grid.
He's taking the bus! He totalled the car I bought him for graduation. Shame. It was an Acura Vigor in great condition.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:59 PM

That makes it even harder. He's going to want wheels as soon as humanly possible. If you think waiting in the heat for a bus sucks, it's worse when it's negative numbers.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
No, his wages won't be double. He can claw his way up the ladder and get to the point where the wages/cost-of-living ratio approaches Las Vegas.

But make sure he knows he's in for a long hard slog at first. He's probably going to need friends/roommates (preferably the same people) to help him get through.

I put myself through school three hours away, and without a lot of people giving me opportunities, I never would have made it.
He's with my youngest, his step-brother who attended CIA. The boys are getting the band back together ( so to speak ) God help Poughkeepsie.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:02 PM

The town where I went to school had basically the same prices/climate/job outlook as Poughkeepsie. Same kind of people, too. It's doable. But "fun" is going to be limited to the free kind until he gets a life sorted out.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:35 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,807,414 times
Weather wise he will be in for some acclimation especially to the cold and how long it last. When it does warm up he will have to get use to the humidity and the bugs also lol. Lots more rain in the spring,summer and fall and learning how to drive on winter roads is something you never master. Summers are short and winters long.

Cost of living is going to be double what it is here and the convince of everything staying open 24/7 will be missed. He will encounter many more ethnic populations and religions.

Owing a automobile will be more costly because of the yearly inspections the cost of repairs from the wear and tear from winter and the rusting out of parts from the road salt. He will find NYS has many more taxes and Fees(which are taxes) and a big one he will have to pay NYS INCOME TAX on top of the Federal Income Tax.

On the plus side he is close to NYC and the train goes from Poughkeepsie right into Penn Station so visiting the city is a breeze. He will have access to many wonderful nature sites in the Hudson Valley plus he can go to other New England states on day trips or weekend visits.

He will have many more companies to seek employment from vs Las Vegas NYS is way more diverse infrastructure and not dependent on tourist.

So knit him a wool sweater and some socks and I hope he sticks it out through the fall season which is very beautiful and the weather is nice but the season is short.

I was born in NYC and lived in Plattsburgh NY area over 50 years so that is my take I never encountered anyone who moved from LV to NYS more the opposite they moved fron NYS to LV like I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas