Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 01:06 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times

Advertisements

Of course law enforcement is against it. Big bucks for them. Easy suspects to deal with too.
All it does is cost us money to house people who's only crime is putting something into their own body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 01:14 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,279,422 times
I think he makes a fair point though. Legalizing it doesn't solve addiction and the crimes that occur because of it.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:30 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,031,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I think he makes a fair point though. Legalizing it doesn't solve addiction and the crimes that occur because of it.
It should be obvious to everyone by now that criminalization of the use and sale of recreational drugs makes these drugs very expensive. That is the cause of a huge portion of the crime in this country. So yes, legalization would certainly reduce crime.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:38 PM

505 posts, read 502,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
That flies completely in the face of what Portugal experienced when they decriminalized drugs.

It's not like we're charting virgin waters here -- other countries have already implemented these policies. Since humans are humans no matter the language they speak, we can expect similar outcomes if we follow their lead.
Portugal is exactly the example I was thinking of. They found drug issues persisted because of personal failings and disassociation from family and community. By essentially legalizing hardcore drugs, the stigma was erased and people who were addicted to the substances were mentally more attune to getting help.

I know that sounds touchy feely, but its just basic sociology and human nature

Old 03-28-2016, 04:43 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times
Portugal not only legalized drugs, they offer treatment to help get people off drugs.

Alcohol is legal, I don't hear anyone complaining about people going around robbing people for beer money even though it does happen, it's not rampant enough to worry about it.
When alcohol was made illegal, people got shot to death over it. People got beaten to death over it. Car chases happened.
Keeping it illegal is far more detrimental than legalizing it and dealing with the lower level of related crimes.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:09 PM

27 posts, read 31,631 times
Quote:
There is a segment on KNPR called, Murder Is Up, Detectives On The Street: How's Metro Doing?

They talk to the under Sheriff who says if there is crime in your area and you've reported it and you don't know what's going on then go to your area command and ask to speak with the Captain to find out what's going on with your case. They're supposed to update you on that.
Thank you for that info. I can go ask to talk to the captain before going up the ladder.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:15 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,037 times
Quote:
Legalization is just a step in the right direction. It's not a one step cure. Inevitably, more money will end up going towards treatment and removing stigmas. Freeing up prison space and officer time.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:48 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,279,422 times
Billionaire entrepreneur Richard Branson came to Las Vegas last year for a talk on the drug war. I recall he was part of a panel. His idea was that we should treat drug use as a health issue and not a crime. He served on the Global commission on Drug policy. Richard Branson leaked this UN document to make a point about the drug war I recall that he said that the drug war was racist and evidence of that was by the 84% of the prison population being blacks incarcerated for drugs.

Then there was this recent disclosure about the Nixon administration creating the drug war to suppress the minorities. Report: Aide says Nixon's war on drugs targeted blacks, hippies

I think though that he's right. If you're going to decriminalize drugs then you've got to have treatment options in place to handle what manifests from that, especially in this town.

The other thing that the under Sheriff brought up in the interview as a counter argument was that it's difficult to raise a family in an environment where people are openly smoking marijuana everywhere. Similar to the use of cigarettes being so common only people are under the influence of weed. I could see how the argument about alcohol being a more damaging substance being consumed in public than pot would play out. They serve alcohol at the AMC movie theater by my house now and they even put in some nice recliner seats while you may consume your adult beverages next to families with small children.

Some of the other arguments I've seen brought up by law enforcement and lawyers is that they would have to review all the cases of people incarcerated for it. Some that are dangerous criminals that they could only get on these sorts of charges. They'd have to release a lot of people. Then we'd revisit the prisons for profit argument, ect, and why that's good for business all around. One of my SIL's worked as a court stenographer for the Dept. of Corrections and she said that she could see that once you're in the system it's hard to get out. They just keep coming back for you.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:52 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
If we decriminalize drugs, we're going to have a LOT of extra money which isn't spent on incarcerating minorities. More than we need to treat addiction as a health problem, in fact.

The real shame about our drug war is that it sent stoner kids to prison. And then they learned how to be career criminals while incarcerated. This policy failure has ruined more lives than drugs ever did.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:38 AM

34 posts, read 35,055 times
End prohibition, and you end all the problems that result from prohibition. Gangsters aren't gunning each other down over alcohol anymore. Alcoholics aren't stealing copper pipes from vacant homes for a fix. Prohibition doesn't stop anyone who wants to use drugs from using drugs, it only creates an obscenely profitable inherently violent black market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: