Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 10:40 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
We have been using Sling for over a year, and we like it quite a bit. If you are a T-Mobile customer, there is a promo where you can get the basic service for $14 per month.
It's only live tv, though, right? You have to get a DVR if you want to watch on your own schedule? I'm assuming that you still have to deal with commercials?

Interesting that Sling is one of the only providers where you can buy ESPN almost ala carte. I don't watch sports, but I know others who would freak if they lost ESPN.

Anyway, I would be interested in hearing more. Especially if anyone has tried Sling vs. Hulu premium here in Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 11:05 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,724,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
It's only live tv, though, right? You have to get a DVR if you want to watch on your own schedule? I'm assuming that you still have to deal with commercials?

Interesting that Sling is one of the only providers where you can buy ESPN almost ala carte. I don't watch sports, but I know others who would freak if they lost ESPN.

Anyway, I would be interested in hearing more. Especially if anyone has tried Sling vs. Hulu premium here in Vegas.
I tried Sling for awhile and had a few issues with the streaming on their end. There is no PVR functionality but most of the programming was available on demand from 3 to 7 days from the air date. A lot of Sling customers are now ditching it for Sony Vue that seems to better in the streaming and is cheaper. I have Hulu premium and it does not provide live programming or channel selection. You are offered the content Hulu has procured from different content providers. I pretty much exist on OTA along with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video and HBO Now.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:39 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
I tried Sling for awhile and had a few issues with the streaming on their end. There is no PVR functionality but most of the programming was available on demand from 3 to 7 days from the air date. A lot of Sling customers are now ditching it for Sony Vue that seems to better in the streaming and is cheaper. I have Hulu premium and it does not provide live programming or channel selection. You are offered the content Hulu has procured from different content providers. I pretty much exist on OTA along with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video and HBO Now.
Thanks, Dex. I've been curious. I just have Netflix.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:38 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,074,309 times
Curious if anyone has called and complained about the rate increase that just went into effect? $77.99 for 50 meg down is insane to me.

I called when they did the price increase this year in Feb that was bringing it to $73.99. I asked them to switch me down to 5 meg down and they offered to add a $10/month credit for 12 months if I stayed on 50 meg down. That'll be expiring soon though.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:01 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,737,804 times
What are the options on the internet?

Old 10-24-2016, 06:09 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,314,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
What are the options on the internet?
Depends where you live. My options are Cox (have currently) $99/mo for 300Mbps down/30up. Centurylink Max 25Mbps down (No thanks), or Dish which is too slow with a terrible ping to even consider.

Up the road 2 miles, there is a bunch of Centurylink fiber installed delivering 1000Mbps Down / 1000Mbps Up. Not close enough for me to get it though. =(

Cox was in the news last year promising gigabit speeds to all of Las Vegas by the end of 2016, looks like that isn't happening. I even have a 32 channel modem capable of 1.4Gbps down, but Cox won't enable enough channels yet for that.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:57 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
I believe Centurylink DSL is $35/month with a two-year contract, with "up to" 40Mbps down. Hard to justify $78/month year-round for a vacation house which gets used three or four months a year. If I could get 25Mbps on Centurylink I think I'd switch. Based on where I think the DSLAM is located, 40Mbps down should be possible.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:02 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
Depends where you live. My options are Cox (have currently) $99/mo for 300Mbps down/30up. Centurylink Max 25Mbps down (No thanks), or Dish which is too slow with a terrible ping to even consider.

Up the road 2 miles, there is a bunch of Centurylink fiber installed delivering 1000Mbps Down / 1000Mbps Up. Not close enough for me to get it though. =(

Cox was in the news last year promising gigabit speeds to all of Las Vegas by the end of 2016, looks like that isn't happening. I even have a 32 channel modem capable of 1.4Gbps down, but Cox won't enable enough channels yet for that.
how can you tell if you can get century link gigabit?

supposedly cox are going docsis 3.1 and upgrading a lot of their network to fiber from 2017-2020, which should yield gigabit speeds... but yeah, can't really trust their promises

Old 10-24-2016, 09:39 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,314,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
how can you tell if you can get century link gigabit?

supposedly cox are going docsis 3.1 and upgrading a lot of their network to fiber from 2017-2020, which should yield gigabit speeds... but yeah, can't really trust their promises
You have to call their sales line to see. I signed up on their website to be notified when it was available, but they notified me 3 times it was available; I called to get it and they tried to sell me 25 Mbps service each time. 😐

Old 10-24-2016, 10:04 PM

452 posts, read 336,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
You have to call their sales line to see. I signed up on their website to be notified when it was available, but they notified me 3 times it was available; I called to get it and they tried to sell me 25 Mbps service each time. 😐
They don't offer 25mbps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: