Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 06:47 PM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times

Advertisements

When I did cable, everyone hated century link. BUT this was before they introduced fiber.
Does anyone here use the fiber? The reason I ask is my cox bill keeps going up and it can't even run 2 computers.
If my wife is online, I can't be and vice versa. Pretty BS for 80 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 07:32 PM

149 posts, read 399,384 times
How long have you been a cox customer? They offered me a decent deal for internet only, no cable or phone for 58.99/month no contract for the 100M premier plan. I have been with them for 4 years now. Have had no significant downtime or issues. Century Link doesn't offer fiber where I am and cox has a rival fiber service called gigablast that also isn't available here. Have you called cox and asked them what they can do to lower your bill?

Old 02-01-2017, 07:35 PM

149 posts, read 399,384 times
Also, unless both of you are trafficking in multiple HUGE data streams and/or multiple huge upload-heavy applications there really shouldn't be any issue with multiple users, even on the lowest tier cox package.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:41 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Another vote something is wrong. Any reasonable plan should accommodate two simultaneous users. The problems come up when you have four people downloading streams.

I think EA you need to get someone at Cox checking what is wrong. They should be able to tell you from their data feeds. I know you were in the other end of the business but the guys at the center really should be able to diagnose why you are having problems.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:41 PM

Youtube for me, Amazon prime video for her. My pc is built and I have to wait for simple pages to load.
Speed test shows 50mb but I can't browse with any kind of speed.

I bought a brand new pc last week and it's having the same issues. We've had a tech out to check everything. New modems. The service just sucks. It seems like they are throttling us. It's been like this the whole time we've been here in 2 different houses.

I called and complained a few times. I got 10% off so now it's 75 a month. whopty do. Quite frankly I am tired of paying Cox. BUT, I don't want to go to Century link if it's still as bad as it was a few years ago.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Youtube for me, Amazon prime video for her. My pc is built and I have to wait for simple pages to load.
Speed test shows 50mb but I can't browse with any kind of speed.

I bought a brand new pc last week and it's having the same issues. We've had a tech out to check everything. New modems. The service just sucks. It seems like they are throttling us. It's been like this the whole time we've been here in 2 different houses.

I called and complained a few times. I got 10% off so now it's 75 a month. whopty do. Quite frankly I am tired of paying Cox. BUT, I don't want to go to Century link if it's still as bad as it was a few years ago.
something is wrong EA. Router or the connection. Look around for a more sophisticated test and you should be able to figure it out.

Century LInk is as awful as ever unless you get someplace with the fiber but that is hopelessly rare.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:07 PM

They have come to my house several times to get us to buy fiber. Assuming they have it in my area.

Everything is new and has been checked. I followed the tech around and made sure everything was checked. Everything was perfect. We've had several different modems. They've got to be throttling us.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
They have come to my house several times to get us to buy fiber. Assuming they have it in my area.

Everything is new and has been checked. I followed the tech around and made sure everything was checked. Everything was perfect. We've had several different modems. They've got to be throttling us.
No router? You sure the modems are not interfering with each other? That is a weird enough hook up I would check the literature.

If they are throttling you it would appear in tests to non Cox sites cerrtainly. And do the test while running most of the other loads.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:20 PM

Computer plugged directly into the modem. Computer on wireless router. Doesn't matter.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:26 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times
Sounds like you may need a new modem (docsis 3.0 + 16 channels down) and a gigabit router

What model is your current modem?

Please don't say Motorola surfboard 5101
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas