Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 08:38 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times

Advertisements

One plumber told us tankless was the only way to go, and another plumber told us that we would always run out of hot water. The first guy said they don't give you instant hot water though. I have to decide by Monday because I just found out my tank is leaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 09:37 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times
I would go tankless gas if you have a 110v outlet near and the right size gas pipes (2/3in? or 3/4?)

I would get the renaii brand

Before buying anything I would get in touch with an installer and see if it's a standard install, otherwise costs could be very high

Old 02-04-2017, 11:12 PM

654 posts, read 1,323,102 times
Want a different answer? Ask a different plumber

I had my water heater flushed this fall & the guy was adamant it was a GOOD thing I don't have a water softener. He swears they kill the lifespan of water heaters. I've heard others make the opposite argument.

As you've experienced, you can run into the same thing with tank/tankless. Ask a different plumber, get a different answer. Generally speaking, all things being equal, I'd go tankless. They last longer. They're more efficient. They *do* provide instant hot water, the caveat being you need to push existing water through the pipes first - so there will be a delay, but I have that with my tank heater as well. The plumbers with whom I've spoken say a decent tankless model will handle whatever you throw at it unless you often have several (4-5 or more) people showering at the same time.

That said, there are some downsides, such as: Higher acquisition cost. Sometimes MUCH higher installation cost (I would have to re-pipe to 3/4", which would make the cost prohibitive). If you have 5 people that all shower at the same time (can't imagine WHERE that might happen) it may tax an undersized unit.

I concur that you want to speak to an installer before going down that road, though, because you may find the costs prohibitive. If your gas bill is low & you don't put much strain on your water heater, you may find a simple replacement of your existing heater the best answer. As is true with many things in life, the correct answer is 'it depends'.

Personally, I would LOVE to install a tankless unit but it looks like it will cost me upwards of $2K thanks to re-piping, so I'll likely stick with what I've got. I don't tax it much, my costs are low & it works just fine. I'll give my Bradford White TLC & try to get it to last as long as possible, then replace it when the time comes.

Keep us updated on what you do, Buzz. Good luck.

Last edited by delgadobb; 02-04-2017 at 11:21 PM..

Old 02-05-2017, 12:25 AM

I don't know what size pipes are coming into the garage, but it all goes to a manifold where it is distributed throughout the house via PEX pipes. How much room do tankless heaters take? I don't know if I have enough room or not. Would Home Depot be a good place to buy one, or do I call the plumber and have him bring me whichever I decide on? That's kind of what we did the last time, but I get the idea that they are a lot more expensive now.
BTW: I'll ever go to Lowes again for anything after the mess they've caused me with our shower install.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:55 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Call two or three plumbers and get estimates for both tank and tankless options. Let the plumbers offer alternatives on the units they would use - that way the warranty falls on them. The tankless needs about 3'x3' of wall space for installation as well as a place to exhaust. Also reach out to the gas company and see what types of incentives they are offering for installation of tankless. Here in MA, the rebates on tankless have been as high as $1200 - a friend installed one for less than $500.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:14 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Call two or three plumbers and get estimates for both tank and tankless options. Let the plumbers offer alternatives on the units they would use - that way the warranty falls on them. The tankless needs about 3'x3' of wall space for installation as well as a place to exhaust. Also reach out to the gas company and see what types of incentives they are offering for installation of tankless. Here in MA, the rebates on tankless have been as high as $1200 - a friend installed one for less than $500.
Rebates from SW Gas on tankless ended December 31, 2014

I don't think there are any other rebates unfortunately

Old 02-05-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Hadn't thought of the gas company. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Rebates from SW Gas on tankless ended December 31, 2014

I don't think there are any other rebates unfortunately
Figures. I should have listened to my wife.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. And, delgadobb, there are just the two of us, but I probably should shower more often.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:20 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. And, delgadobb, there are just the two of us, but I probably should shower more often.
Buzz the pipe size refers to the gas pipe. A standard gas line cannot provide enough gas for a tankless water heater. And I suspect you would have to replumb to the gas meter to do one. They work reasonably well. Size is not a problem they are tiny things compared to a water heater.

You can also find out that the flue is not big enough and has to be replaced.

Lady in Sun City has a remote control that you can push and turns on her re-circulation pump. Less than a minute and you have warm water in very distant bathroom. Need a re-circulation pump but I suspect Buzz's tract has them.

They will save money though the initial cost may well be double or more than a tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: