Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 11:46 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,865,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVguy View Post
sportyandmisty thanks so much!

SCheduled for later this afternoon, guy said permit you don't really need it, many people don't have it, and everything will be up to code so shouldn't be a problem with house inspection when I sell it later. Maybe I will skip that and save a few bucks.
You can apply and pay for the permit online. Then you just have to have the work inspected (cost included in the permit cost).

If someone were to tell me it's my choice whether or not to pull the permit, I would probably trust their installation to comply with the required plumbing codes. If they did not offer the option of pulling a permit, then I'd question whether they knew everything required to be code compliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 12:11 PM

645 posts, read 707,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
You can apply and pay for the permit online. Then you just have to have the work inspected (cost included in the permit cost).

If someone were to tell me it's my choice whether or not to pull the permit, I would probably trust their installation to comply with the required plumbing codes. If they did not offer the option of pulling a permit, then I'd question whether they knew everything required to be code compliant.
awesome that's exaclty what I wanted to know, they come highly recommended I will just skip the permit.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:28 PM

sportyandmisty I told them to apply teflon tape to the anode rod, they say it came preinstall from factory, they say if they take it out and apply teflon tape it will be ruined, I guess they mean the factory warranty. So they don't want to do that.

So I didnt bother with the drain thing. I guess if I trust their work enough I will tell them to do it and forgo the tank's warranty. But if I don't do it it will be very hard to remove 5,6 years later?

Old 02-21-2018, 01:31 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,007,241 times
I did the heater myself. Only paid $259 for it at Lowe’s. It was a return, guy needed electric and bought gas by mistake. I put it out and republic or someone picked it up

Old 02-21-2018, 01:55 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,075,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVguy View Post
sportyandmisty I told them to apply teflon tape to the anode rod, they say it came preinstall from factory, they say if they take it out and apply teflon tape it will be ruined, I guess they mean the factory warranty. So they don't want to do that.

So I didnt bother with the drain thing. I guess if I trust their work enough I will tell them to do it and forgo the tank's warranty. But if I don't do it it will be very hard to remove 5,6 years later?
That's a pretty poor excuse on the teflon tape thing. I doubt any warranties are going to be void over adding teflon tape.

I did remove my anode with no teflon tape after 5-6 years, but it was a major pain. I used a 2 foot breaker bar on it and had to brace the tank to keep it from moving. Since I added the teflon tape, it comes out easy.

The difficulty with doing the drain after the fact, you can do it, I did it also after 5-6 years, the tiny factory drain that comes on the water heater will clog in a couple years. It's nearly impossible to drain the tank in an orderly fashion at that point. You then have to remove the entire factory spigot and it's going to dump water all over while you rush to screw in the new drain. It can be done, it's just messy.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:14 PM

Hmm sounds like it will be hard to remove the anode later, maybe I will add the tape myself when I get around it.

Well they came with the 50 gallon bradford white, I think it's just an average brand? can't pick and check reviews online since the plumber supplies it. But the company seems pretty reputable so it's all good. https://www.totalhomesupply.com/50-g...DFORD-RG250T6N

Old recirculating pump was broken, never used it so it didn't work no more. Plumber just block and plugged the pipe to the wall (recirculating pipe I guess) So with the pump on it's like leaving a 30 watt bulb on, how about extra gas and water wasted etc? not too much every month?

Do you guys have thermal blanket for the heater? or extra insulation on the pipes. Heard newer water heater the insulation is really good and Vegas isnt' cold like Wyoming etc so there is no need. But those blanket seems to be cheap just 20 bucks.

So glad I found this thread and didn't go buy the tank at lowes and have a handyman install it, great advice here, saved a lot of hassle, money etc and so nice to have hot water again

So the warranty is 6 years, and they usually last around 10 year I think. so with good maintenance how long will it last?

Old 02-22-2018, 04:53 PM

how much did it end up costing you

Old 02-22-2018, 04:59 PM

Old 02-22-2018, 05:42 PM

1150 for a regular water heater????????

Old 02-22-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
1150 for a regular water heater????????

too expensive?

Page 4 yesterday 6am http://www.city-data.com/forum/51094562-post33.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: