Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 04:54 AM

557 posts, read 793,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung and succesful lv View Post
While the narrative of owning a home is very powerful it does come with many unintended consequences, such as lack of mobility and low risk taking as one’s home consumes money, time and worry.

Thanks for your ideas but my lifestyle is stress free right now and my blood pressure is much lower knowing I'm not tied up in anything.
It's all bout what stage in life you are at and the needs a family/individual. Lack of mobility is not a bad thing when you are happy where you reside and looking for stability. I do not think there is a one size fits all approach to own a house or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 05:02 AM

Although owning a house works for my family, there is one negative that I see no one talking about. The amount of undeveloped land in Southern Nevada has me more worried than anything else. I owned a house back East on Long Island, NY, and there is no more land to build on ( its pretty much all developed ). Now, I know God is not making any more land, but with so much land undeveloped here that is a real concern.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:51 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung and succesful lv View Post
While the narrative of owning a home is very powerful it does come with many unintended consequences, such as lack of mobility and low risk taking as one’s home consumes money, time and worry.

Thanks for your ideas but my lifestyle is stress free right now and my blood pressure is much lower knowing I'm not tied up in anything.
The loss of mobility is fiction for the well heeled. In fact a lease may well be more constraining than ownership. The costs to maintain a home are paid regardless of whether you own or rent.

Maintenance of low blood pressure is a fair concern. That would indicate you are forever confined to very dull investment strategies.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyliveonce View Post
Although owning a house works for my family, there is one negative that I see no one talking about. The amount of undeveloped land in Southern Nevada has me more worried than anything else. I owned a house back East on Long Island, NY, and there is no more land to build on ( its pretty much all developed ). Now, I know God is not making any more land, but with so much land undeveloped here that is a real concern.
Why? Most of that land is contained in various park and recreational reserves. The rest is owned by BLM who sells it at rather high commercial prices. That is often considered one of the factors in the bubble locally.

The limit on growth in Las Vegas is virtually certain to be water. I would think the region is capped at between 135% and 200% of present size.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:44 AM

244 posts, read 332,419 times
It appears that main street will end up holding the bag (again).

"The comps are being busted by flippers. And if a Wall Street guy wants to raise the comps on the slew of houses he already owns he just has to offer this price on this house to do so."

Say No to Recourse Loans.: Las Vegas Real Estate Driven By Greed Not Fundamentals

Old 05-11-2013, 11:52 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The loss of mobility is fiction for the well heeled. In fact a lease may well be more constraining than ownership.
I used to be the king of breaking lease agreements. It was never intentional, just Uncle Sam calling. I broke leases all over the world, Italy, Japan, New Mexico, Utah...even here in Vegas. If anyone ever needed to be "mobile", it was myself. I never looked at it as an advantage though. I was mobile/renting because I HAD to be, not because it was convenient.

When kids are involved, being mobile goes out the window.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 05-11-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Why? Most of that land is contained in various park and recreational reserves. The rest is owned by BLM who sells it at rather high commercial prices. That is often considered one of the factors in the bubble locally.

The limit on growth in Las Vegas is virtually certain to be water. I would think the region is capped at between 135% and 200% of present size.
Yes, but their is still tangible land here in the Southern Nevada. There is NO more land on Long Island and some of the land is VANISHING due to erosion. I agree Las Vegas can grow up to 200 % putting the number at 4 million people if that occurs. Long Island could not even come close to that increase in population unless they build up vertically . .

Old 05-11-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I used to be the king of breaking lease agreements. It was never intentional, just Uncle Sam calling. I broke leases all over the world, Italy, Japan, New Mexico, Utah...even here in Vegas. If anyone ever needed to be "mobile", it was myself. I never looked at it as an advantage though. I was mobile/renting because I HAD to be, not because it was convenient.

When kids are involved, being mobile goes out the window.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Bingo.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVicsezhowdy View Post
It appears that main street will end up holding the bag (again).

"The comps are being busted by flippers. And if a Wall Street guy wants to raise the comps on the slew of houses he already owns he just has to offer this price on this house to do so."

Say No to Recourse Loans.: Las Vegas Real Estate Driven By Greed Not Fundamentals
That one was a conventional sale to the flipper. The price was very low for Monaco so I presume the house was beat up. It appears to have been redone and dolled up. It has sold and quickly for cash.

We should see who bought it in a week. Hard to believe they are going that high on a rental.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:24 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyliveonce View Post
Yes, but their is still tangible land here in the Southern Nevada. There is NO more land on Long Island and some of the land is VANISHING due to erosion. I agree Las Vegas can grow up to 200 % putting the number at 4 million people if that occurs. Long Island could not even come close to that increase in population unless they build up vertically . .
Las Vegas is slated to grow roughly at 1-2% per year until 2050. However, water is a real issue and Clark County might control the population growth by limiting build permits. I'd imagine the water authority will raise rates 2-3x what they are now as a mechanism to force people to kill their lawns and gardens and convert them to desert landscaping.

People have the misconception that the valley has a lot of land. Take a look at a map sometime. All the un built desert that has tire trails on the outskirts of town are the boundaries of where development can occur. Maybe someone knows how many square miles Vegas has left of undeveloped land, if anybody has such a figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas