Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 09:28 AM

209 posts, read 265,592 times

Advertisements

Seems each morning when I read the local news with my coffee it's filled with stories of violence and crime with other news sprinkled around here and there. As an example, here are a selection of headlines on the home page of the LV Review-Journal just this morning:

Shooting death fueled by drugs, sex, jealousy
Suspect in las vegas court to face charge in tourist's 1-punch death
Man convicted of molesting children at las vegas apartment
Crash involving pedestrian blocks las vegas boulevard
Man accused of raping woman in las vegas motel room
Suspect's prior arson case involved trash can fires in las vegas
Jury deliberates rape charges against las vegas nightclub owner
UNLV's Dwayne Morgan suspended after arrest

These headlines are from the new site's HOMEPAGE. I didn't even have to start clicking and digging into the various sections of the news to see additional stories. Is there simply a lack of quality local news to report, or is Las Vegas a seriously violent place? Are headlines, like those listed above, just better stories and therefore are the stories selected to make the news? It's kind of sad! That said, when I read the Las Vegas Sun website they seem to post more stories about what's going on in the valley, such as updates on the Raiders, updates on what the state legislation is up to etc. It just seems like they report on the violence a little less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 09:33 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,593,821 times
Sex and violence sells, feel good stories don't. The Las Vegas Sun doesn't have to make money (they have a Joint Operating Agreement (JOA) with the Review-Journal and they depend on the RJ's ability to make money to exist (that's why there are not classified ads in the Sun)

Old 05-11-2017, 11:26 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,503,865 times
The stories on those papers show the type of readers and the type of people residing in Clark County, NV. The on-air news shows are not any better. Very dumb and domestic. Of all the news around the U.S and the World, these media outlets keep shoving the same garbage over and over again. There is a reason why tech giants Google and Apple are opening plants in Reno, in Northern Nevada and there is a joke that goes around that UNLV graduates can easily get a job at fast food joints soon after graduation. Hahahahaha!

Old 05-11-2017, 12:28 PM

15,883 posts, read 14,576,570 times
Eh, we get the same think in NYC. If it bleeds it leads.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:10 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,503,865 times
It's a big world out there and our local news channels are proud of their weather forecasting. They even waste money making an on-air commercial about it. Hahahaha! Dumb!

Old 05-11-2017, 01:36 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,429,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Eh, we get the same think in NYC. If it bleeds it leads.
Yup - What would you expect in a community of two million. Crime rate in Las Vegas is in the middle third of US cities above 100,000 and if you allow for the increased population due to the tourists it approaches the US city average. And it is pretty good while having a police much smaller relatively than other big cities.

You get rates as good as any in the US if you use say Henderson as an example. Summerlin would probably be better.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:25 PM

505 posts, read 587,796 times
Well let's see. In my time back in Las Vegas:

- I've had a neighbor get arrested multiple times for assaulting women
- visually witnessed thug children (Jr. High) vandalizing property and threatening adults
- when our neighbors called the cops to file a complaint, the police put us on hold for over an hour. We just hung up and went to file in person. Ridiculous!
- my niece talks about kids bringing guns and knives, threatening each other at Schofield Middle School
- two cinder block walls have been crashed into/destroyed by lunatic drivers nearby
- had a date try and kidnap me into his car after a date
- zip recruiters have tried to steal my social security number on two different attempts
- frauded by a dentist (had to take her to the dental board and won our case), realtors, pool/AC/ and hot tub repairmen

No, this does not happen everywhere as I've lived in 5 other states. My experiences are unique to Las Vegas. If you haven't experienced crime, good for you. *sighs*

Old 05-11-2017, 09:41 PM

23,330 posts, read 29,208,245 times
I stopped watching televised news a couple decades ago as the mass media exists solely to entertain!

To no avail, I've urged the local media to interview those who have hit pedestrians in this city, even though they were innocent, to help drivers/viewers realize the after effects of a tragedy like that, and the accompanying PTSD. Yes, there are those who were so traumatized by hitting a pedestrian, they went home and committed suicide.

But that wouldn't entertain their viewers, so scratch that!

I want to know more than just husband kills wife, wife kills her husband.

Lest we forget: when there's a murder there's generally 2 sets of fingerprints on the murder weapon!

Yes! Tell me more about the wife that was killed by the husband!

Old 05-11-2017, 10:41 PM

11 posts, read 10,068 times
I've been reading the Review Journal for the past year or so in preparation for my move. Last year Clark County had the highest murder rate in 25 years I believe. It seems there is still a lot of crime being reported by the LVRJ. I'm planning on making my move to Henderson and hope that the crime there is considerably lower.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:34 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,349,226 times
You have to remember that a lot of the crime being reported is the tourists that come to the city to enjoy it, and also criminals coming in from other places to wreak havoc and then they leave, and it all gets lumped into the total crime for our area, making it look like the worst place on earth. It is misleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas