Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 11:37 AM

6 posts, read 22,115 times

Advertisements

Are Snakes Common in Neighborhoods? I'll be moving to Vegas soon and am scared to bring my dogs on walks because of all I've heard about snakes and scorpions there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 11:46 AM

15 posts, read 27,436 times
Good question. I am thinking of moving to Vegas soon as well and hadn't thought about that. Interested in seeing what the replies are.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 8,879 times
I live in the SW close to a lot of open BLM land. I've lived in three different areas and have been here since '99. We live in the desert. There are snakes, but I've never seen one in a neighborhood. Scorpions are a pretty common pest (again, we're in the desert). Even then, I've only ever had an encounter with 3- so far. Use pesticide. The biggest threat to dogs (depending on size and number) are coyotes. If they are small and depending on where you are in the city, I would be vigilant for their safety. That being said, I had two English Springers (medium size dogs) since they were pups and never had a coyote threat.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:50 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,114,160 times
You are very unlikely to see a snake in a neighborhood.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:54 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
A friend of mine sent me a picture of a rattlesnake on her front steps at her condo in Henderson. That's not a usual occurrence, but it does happen.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:43 PM

455 posts, read 651,379 times
I used to live in Georgia and would occasionally encounter copperheads and cottonmouths in my neighborhood (we had a creek that ran through). After almost 4 years in Las Vegas, I've yet to encounter a rattler.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:13 PM

2,536 posts, read 2,735,318 times
I'm in the Lakes area never seen a scorpion or snake. I have a small dog do so I do worry about this.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:21 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,344,142 times
I have been here since 1998, and I have never seen a snake in the neighborhood. Snakes tend to hang out where there is prey for them to eat.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:51 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,339,800 times
Just got 21 years in and used to spend lots of time with dog in the open desert. Have seen side winder sign once or twice. Have never seen an actual snake.

Never seen a scorpion around the house either. Have seen them in other homes. Believe most in Las Vegas come in with plants from AZ. The bark scorpion is not native here and is the common one seen.

Only things we see are birds, lizards (including a one footer who was hibernating one year in a front plant) and ground squirrels.

Black widows are common. Don't stick your hand in dark isolated places. Whe have them in our garage and there has been one in our electric box since we moved in.

Coyotes are often around but are not very big in the west. Threat to cats or very small dogs. We don't even worry about our cat who is big enough to handle a single coyote. The neighborhood has had loose cats the whole time we lived here including a feral who spent 12 years on our rear patio. None have been lost to coyotes.

The only incidents we have had was a pit bull who killed a chihuahua and badly damaged another dog. Actually chased the dog in through a dog door and damaged it in the home.

And of course there was the old bob cat they found at El Capitan and Cheyenne Unfortunately so demented they had to put him down.

Last edited by lvmensch; 05-16-2017 at 03:04 PM..

Old 05-16-2017, 02:58 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,201,334 times
Lots of rattlesnakes, scorpions, and, btw, black widows everywhere you look. As for your dog, coyotes just bagged a Pomeranian around the block a few weeks ago. As a rule of thumb, if you see roadrunners in the area, there are surely rattlesnakes. Far as I've heard, rattlers are only found in yards adjacent to open areas, but not in densely packed neighborhoods so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: