Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 09:09 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,314,489 times

Advertisements

Even a single Nest Hello video doorbell will use 300gb a month on the good bitrate setting. 1 terabyte is inadequate on purpose to force you to pay another $50 a month for no cap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 05:00 PM

149 posts, read 399,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenknight View Post
Nope. 1TB isn’t “generous” for me. We stream 1 4K movie a day... as it just goes in background while we cook and do stuff around the house .... that’s about 300 gb a month right there. Gaming :... I pay for the faster internet tier .... and steam has VERY fast downloads. So to save money I used fast discs.... so I don’t have much space. So I depend on downloading and uninstalling games pretty often. About 20-30 times a month. It’s super fast (takes 2 min) ..... rather than buy big expensive fast ssd. That’s 30-60gb each time. I easily hit the 1 tb mark in a week. My overall usage is 4-8 tb a month.
Why would you pay for top tier speeds and not have a decent sized ssd? I'm not sure you understand the way computers work correctly. 4-8tb sounds like someone is torrenting.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:02 PM

149 posts, read 399,696 times
Also, if you stream a 4k movie, it's like under 100gb. Unless its Lawrence of Arabia or something long like over 2 hours.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:08 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,314,489 times
Streaming a 4k video uses the same amount of data as torrents would, especially because they include the good quality audio streams that a torrent might skimp on. If he has a fast connection then Amazon and Netflix will send the biggest size file available every time.

Another experience before the hard cap took place: I had free audio/video backup for a year. 3 IP cameras at 720p quality uploading audio/video 24/7 used 3 terabytes on their own in a month. This is on the lower end of the cameras settings. I stopped uploading to that remote service once the caps took place. Unfortunately for people that sign up to cloud camera services that aren't through Cox, they are going to have a bad time when two cameras eat up their monthly allocation.

I'm still hoping Tesla's low Earth orbit satellite internet brings competition from a price standpoint.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:51 PM

241 posts, read 143,502 times
This would all be resolved with Municipal Fiber Networks where the city build fiber citywide and then charges the populace but that was shut down by many state governments working on behalf of ATT and Comcast.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:18 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterion View Post
This would all be resolved with Municipal Fiber Networks where the city build fiber citywide and then charges the populace but that was shut down by many state governments working on behalf of ATT and Comcast.
Fiber is pretty much dead. We clearly are going to 5G and whatever comes next. The last mile is going to be wireless. Inevitable at this point. The Google Fiber is the classical example. So we may see competition for Cox. But it will be wireless so the cell phone companies not the fiber ones.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Fiber is pretty much dead. We clearly are going to 5G and whatever comes next. The last mile is going to be wireless. Inevitable at this point. The Google Fiber is the classical example. So we may see competition for Cox. But it will be wireless so the cell phone companies not the fiber ones.
I'm a Telecom Engineer and you're 100% incorrect. For one, the backhaul medium for all these wireless networks is Fiber and that’s in the last mile, middle mile, and core. Secondly, 5G will incur usage charges so it’ll be totally unworkable for any mid-market to enterprise business and also it’ll present privacy concerns. So no, Fiber is not dead

Old 08-10-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I'm a Telecom Engineer and you're 100% incorrect. For one, the backhaul medium for all these wireless networks is Fiber and that’s in the last mile, middle mile, and core. Secondly, 5G will incur usage charges so it’ll be totally unworkable for any mid-market to enterprise business and also it’ll present privacy concerns. So no, Fiber is not dead
And I am an Electrical Engineer who helped develop the Ethernet. Even own a patent on the use of Ethernet within equipment.

When Google stopped the Fiber operation it is clear they intend to come back in with wireless for the last mile. I agree we may well see fiber backbones and high traffic distribution. But the last mile is going wireless.

Usage charges are a red herring. Simply a business decision.

Here is one of many discussions on the subject...

https://voip.review/2018/06/21/5g-co...n-will-affect/

Old 08-10-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
And I am an Electrical Engineer who helped develop the Ethernet. Even own a patent on the use of Ethernet within equipment.

When Google stopped the Fiber operation it is clear they intend to come back in with wireless for the last mile. I agree we may well see fiber backbones and high traffic distribution. But the last mile is going wireless.

Usage charges are a red herring. Simply a business decision.

Here is one of many discussions on the subject...

https://voip.review/2018/06/21/5g-co...n-will-affect/
Google exiting the business had nothing to do with the actual medium and everything to do with regulation and money. First off, Alphabet had a CFO that was a major bean counter and so the money they were spending plus the road blocks AT&T was putting up left and right made them lose their enthusiasm. AT&T would regularly block Google’s access to poles HENCE why google is now looking at wireless more closely. Lastly, the last mile is from CO/Hub to Cell Tower and so it’s impossible for the last mile to be strictly 5G if 5G requires Fiber to get back to the CO/Hub. It’s like saying a Hybrid Fiber Coaxial network is solely a coaxial network.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Google exiting the business had nothing to do with the actual medium and everything to do with regulation and money. First off, Alphabet had a CFO that was a major bean counter and so the money they were spending plus the road blocks AT&T was putting up left and right made them lose their enthusiasm. AT&T would regularly block Google’s access to poles HENCE why google is now looking at wireless more closely. Lastly, the last mile is from CO/Hub to Cell Tower and so it’s impossible for the last mile to be strictly 5G if 5G requires Fiber to get back to the CO/Hub. It’s like saying a Hybrid Fiber Coaxial network is solely a coaxial network.
Google has clearly not exited the business. Simply in a hold on continuing installation in new areas until they get the wireless last mile working. And it is pretty clear virtually everyone is going to do the same. There is simply not going to be any more cable laid to homes after some limited commitments are fulfilled.

And yes the system will be a hybrid. But the last mile to the home will be local tower to the home. And there are going to have to be a whole lot more towers which will be an interesting thing.

I would also note AT&T controls no poles in LV. And vast parts of the systems are buried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: