Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 12:02 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,314,489 times
This is really unfortunate. I have used between 3-4 Terabytes most months, I have the Ultimate plan. The difference in cost to Cox between 1 Terabyte and 4 Terabytes is pennies, this is just a stab at those who are cutting cable out of their lives. For Ultimate service I pay $99 a month; under the new pricing if I used 4 terabytes then it would cost $700. Ridiculous. It is also ridiculous how generous they are to offer automatic billing of $10 per 50 Gigs after your limit. I'd rather they cut my service until 30 days is up.

Also the president of Cox promised 1gig download speeds to all of Las Vegas by the end of 2016; not only did that not happen, but now we are going to get gouged for even using the 300Mbps bandwidth their "Ulitimate" service provides. Those of you who think 1 Terabyte is sooo much data, just wait until 4k streaming is mainstream; you will go over consistently.

Feeling trapped, hopefully these low orbit satellite services will become a reality and we have an option to cut Cox out completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 12:49 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,120,086 times
I bet if I switched to the ultimate 4 tb, next month they would say I went over by 1 tb.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:02 AM

654 posts, read 1,323,255 times
AAANNNDDD I got the e-mail as well.

Promptly called Cox to drop my service from 50 MBit to 15 MBit, even tho my usage has only reached 10-20% of the data cap last couple months. So far, the stuff I stream seems to be fine with 15 MBit; others don't put much load on my internet connection.

The Cox CSR seemed dumbfounded that I wouldn't want 'at least' 50 MBit, I explained if they're going to cap my usage I'm going to drop to a level where it will be difficult to exceed it. Added bonus is it drops my bill a little bit.

Mind you, I'm a tech guy & have a large gigabit ethernet switch with ethernet jacks in every room. Entire house is wired. Although I need the pipe to the internet, most of my usage is within the house (I will frequently stream pre-recorded stuff from a Tivo elsewhere in the house to another TV. Similar stuff with computer networking.) I've streamlined most of my stuff to minimize external internet traffic except when necessary. Not a big Facebook or social media guy, tho I do greatly enjoy getting out & interacting with others - more the face-to-face variety.

Here's hoping reasonable alternatives surface for broadband in the next few years. CenturyLink has not inspired confidence to date & most other tech has overpromised & underdelivered.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:29 AM

472 posts, read 378,544 times
This all coincides with new Cox on demand TV. If you stream Netflix why not stream Cox instead because they'll make that not applicable to download data and you can 'relieve' you data usage by switching.

You watch. All a ploy to get you to switch to their new service by making it less economical to stream via 3rd party.

Now the search will be on for a sound replacement. Where is Century link at with their service?

Old 06-30-2017, 09:21 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
My kids do not have a device with which to access the internet. There's a pc for them to use with supervision, but we have the password to that, and an adult is awake and here 24 hours a day. It's not the kids. There's no one else in my network or connected to my router. I used to install cable/internet so I do know what I am doing.
I agree if it is all wired. But if you have wifi you can be getting whacked by a neighbor and never know it. If I was pulling that much data I would certainly get curious and find out where it was going.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:31 AM

209 posts, read 264,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Someone is tapping your router. Through a kid? Betcha. Check around and set up a monitor...if I remember you are reasonably proficient. First thing I would do is change the login codes and see what happens. And don't tell the kids what they are.

I would note that some things can create odd loads. Had it on our cell phone account when we got a huge hit. Turned out to be using mapping with satellite. Upped the usage by 20 times.
I'd have to agree, something is up. We have probably 10 devices using our wi-fi, my wife is on her phone using the wi-fi practically all day and she streams Hulu/Netflix every single day. All of this and we use less than 300gb a month.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:01 AM

67 posts, read 72,201 times
For once I can say that I am glad to have CenturyLink.

Even if they added a data cap, service is too slow to reach it!

Old 06-30-2017, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 950 times
I am not here to sell you on our service but I could honestly say is that we are not moving in the direction of data caps.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:56 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,639,095 times
I have no idea what I use per month but any limit is concerning for customers. I've heard these companies act like it's somehow tough to go over 200 gigs or that nobody does. Maybe no old people or non-tech savvy people. Just updating and installing various video games every month is EASILY 50-100 gigs and there are times you're going to blow through 200 gigs just on update files. That aside, movie downloads are huge. I still think 1TB is solid but think about hard drives - 1 TB is a small pathetic hard drive. Is it really good for data for an entire month? Meh, depends on your usage. I work from home in the video business so large data is normal.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:03 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,280,062 times
It makes me angry that they just make numbers up to cap people's usage and make money off of them somehow when there's literally an unlimited amount of digital space and data out there to be had. It should essentially be free and unlimited!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: