Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 04:59 PM

1,047 posts, read 726,727 times

Advertisements

Thanks for these suggestions. Will try all.

RE t mobile. Yes, I notice I am on one bar if any all the time now in Vegas. I am using it to hot spot on to pc. I have not dived into cox cable here b/c so many describe it as worse than my hot spot connection. I will switch carriers if I can still have what is nearly unlimited hot spotting. Many say unlimited for everything but nobody really ask about hot spotting. So they have no idea that many other carriers don't give you unlimited on that one particular thing. We got grandfathered in is their line. After 30gig or more it says you have a chance of it slowing down but I do not notice. It isn't fast to begin w but manageable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 05:04 PM

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
There is a lot of construction and subsequent traffic jams on the freeway near MLK. I have noticed weird routing occasionally in that area lately specifically due to trying to route around traffic and dealing with the construction closures in that area.
Interesting. We went in eve shortly before they close at 8pmish. On the way back there seemed to be no construction. Maybe on the way there, there was so it took us through horrible neighborhood tiny streets. We should have been on freeway whole time. Is this city like LA and works on freeways late at night? Part of why LA always had traffic. In the middle of the night they are working on freeways then in the day you have working people of all hours.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:56 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,494,854 times
Which map apps are you using? Google Maps? Do you have your GPS app set up to avoid highways/freeways? I'm not even sure if you can do that anymore.

I googled and found out you can set your app to avoid highways, maybe you have done that:

Customize your route
  • On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app .
  • Search for your destination or tap it on the map.
  • In the bottom right, tap Directions .
  • At the top, tap Drive .
  • In the top right, tap More Route options.
  • Tap Avoid tolls or Avoid highways.
  • Tap Done.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:01 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
I flew into Vegas twice this past summer, and both times it took FOREVER for my phone to link to a tower there. It doesn't happen like that in other cities.

I have T-Mobile.

I recall my GPS/Google Maps working just fine, but I don't think I used it much at all.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Which map apps are you using? Google Maps? Do you have your GPS app set up to avoid highways/freeways? I'm not even sure if you can do that anymore.

I googled and found out you can set your app to avoid highways, maybe you have done that:

Customize your route
  • On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app .
  • Search for your destination or tap it on the map.
  • In the bottom right, tap Directions .
  • At the top, tap Drive .
  • In the top right, tap More Route options.
  • Tap Avoid tolls or Avoid highways.
  • Tap Done.
Waze and google map. Using both b/c both equally jump all over like they are on fire.

Will definitely see if we can do this. I didn't notice an option but will look. Thank you for the precise directions. Cool. In LA it was important most of the time not to be stuck on the freeway and here I do want to be on it and not go in crazy circles over and over. I think it could be t mobile too. I still have not heard from one person who had good experience w t mobile in Vegas.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:36 PM

I hope it isnt t mobile. They are supposed to have a lot of towers but from what one person said here and my experiences I wonder. Truly hope that setting works Sany mentioned.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:21 PM

15 posts, read 19,316 times
Try getting a tool similar to GPS Status & Toolbox. You can use it to clear the data GPS is using. I had a terrible problem getting satellite fixes - it would take over 10 minutes sometimes. I used something similar (can't remember which one anymore) and it cleared the problem up.

If you can't get fixes the GPS will try its best using other means. That usually results in a bunch of wandering around because it's constantly getting data that tells it it's somewhere else.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:26 PM

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxo View Post
Try getting a tool similar to GPS Status & Toolbox. You can use it to clear the data GPS is using. I had a terrible problem getting satellite fixes - it would take over 10 minutes sometimes. I used something similar (can't remember which one anymore) and it cleared the problem up.

If you can't get fixes the GPS will try its best using other means. That usually results in a bunch of wandering around because it's constantly getting data that tells it it's somewhere else.
Gps status and toolbox already in my phone or something you are saying to download? Thank you. Will try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: