Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2018, 12:32 AM

10 posts, read 7,505 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I have just secured a rental in the Tanglewood neighborhood off of rainbow and smoke ranch road. I am slightly confused as in what “area” this would be considered? The zip code map I looked seems to technically place it in centennial hills but I assumed that was further northwest and it’s like almost Summerlin but not quite. Any other info on the area would be great as well. I have already gathered that I conduct business (shopping, eating, etc) to the west of my home. Hoping I picked a relatively safe and ok area for my family and seeing as the 89108 zip seems so spotty, it is mildly concerning as I have small children. I really fell in love with the house though!

Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 02:21 AM

927 posts, read 884,177 times
The closest middle school (Brinley) ranks 125th out of 126 middle schools in the state.

93% of the students come from low-income households. The elementary school (Fong) has similar demographics.

Tons of apartments on the other side of Smoke Ranch and off Rainbow.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:30 AM

3 posts, read 2,458 times
That area is worlds away from Summerlin. It is a working class area with good freeway access.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:02 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,554,150 times
That's not Summerlin or Centennial Hills. That's considered the 5th ward.

https://www.lasvegasnevada.gov/porta...3Dmouiauylh_29

Old 05-19-2018, 08:11 AM

581 posts, read 456,755 times
If you want to know if you're in a good area, look at the percentage of students at the schools who are on free lunch. If it's high, it's not a great neighborhood. You should be okay for now, but when your kids become school-age I'd look to get in a better district.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:20 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,004,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessikahchloe View Post
Hi guys,

I have just secured a rental in the Tanglewood neighborhood off of rainbow and smoke ranch road. I am slightly confused as in what “area” this would be considered? The zip code map I looked seems to technically place it in centennial hills but I assumed that was further northwest and it’s like almost Summerlin but not quite. Any other info on the area would be great as well. I have already gathered that I conduct business (shopping, eating, etc) to the west of my home. Hoping I picked a relatively safe and ok area for my family and seeing as the 89108 zip seems so spotty, it is mildly concerning as I have small children. I really fell in love with the house though!

Thanks for your time!
Did you visit before choosing this area? 93% low income. Smh

Old 05-19-2018, 10:12 AM

10 posts, read 7,505 times
Thanks for your replies-

I am not worried about schools at this point. We were having a hell of a time securing a rental and found a super nice updated house in the neighborhood. I did visit in person and the neighborhood itself looks beautiful but I did notice outside the neighborhood- not so beautiful. So I was just wondering more about the area.

I read post after post stating that near rainbow or west of the freeway is good to go, so I am kind of surprised by the replies lol. Oh well- I am coming from Albuquerque which makes Vegas crime rate and schools look good haha. A bit of ghetto doesn’t scare me, just making sure I wasn’t in any gang war zones or anything lollllll

Old 05-19-2018, 05:50 PM

3 posts, read 2,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessikahchloe View Post

I read post after post stating that near rainbow or west of the freeway is good to go, so I am kind of surprised by the replies lol.
This is true, but the home you rented is east of Rainbow. The area immediately west of 95 is much more upscale. Like I said before it is a solid working class area.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:11 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,004,431 times
I wouldn’t have rented there. Like the poster said, east of rainbow not as good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas