Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 11:49 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,057,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mask&gloves View Post
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2005/au...ing-of-rapper/ rapper killed on southern highlands. Drug houses in cheap part. How many rappers have been killed in Summerlin? Most murders out here are some how tied to domestic violence.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/r...-witness-list/

I knew people that bought in Southern Highlands when it was new. They had no idea what the traffic would be like going into strip area or out to Summerlin. Let their houses go during the real estate crash. Its just too far out unless you have a job in the area.

OP - I hear you about Eastern. Not a fan of the east side.
Pretty much the whole east side of Vegas is a dump. Slum after slum and neighborhood after neighborhood of rundown houses and trailer parks.

There are some nice neighborhoods off eastern in Silverado Ranch. Silverado Ranch is pretty good block/bad block IMHO.

At any rate, you always know it's an agent with an agenda on here when they start pushing Summerlin & Henderson. Not all parts of Summerlin & Henderson are good.

Southern Highlands has it's problems, too. I know people who live there and they do have homeless, thefts, and burglaries just like everywhere else in the Valley. You're not going to move anywhere in the Vegas valley and escape this. In fact, the gangs target the wealthier neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 02:57 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,998 times
Quote:
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2005/au...ing-of-rapper/ rapper killed on southern highlands. Drug houses in cheap part. How many rappers have been killed in Summerlin? Most murders out here are some how tied to domestic violence.

I knew people that bought in Southern Highlands when it was new. They had no idea what the traffic would be like going into strip area or out to Summerlin. Let their houses go during the real estate crash. Its just too far out unless you have a job in the area.

Did you forget to post as nvmama?

Old 04-27-2020, 11:33 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,493 times
Quote:

They probably let their house go because they couldn’t afford it. It’s WAY, let me repeat, WAY faster jumping on the 15 than it is going anywhere on the 215. I know I drive it everyday. I dread going out to Summerlin and sitting on the 215.

As far as the area going downhill. There’s some truth to it, but live behind a gate or two and you’d never know. They’ve been building high density off cactus / valley view and N of Cactus, especially west of Jones isn’t great it’s all small cramped rentals.

Personal opinion but the best part of Vegas is Summerlin South, Southern Highlands, and Henderson From McDonald Highlands west. I choose to stay in Southern Highlands because the 15 is a breeze.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:47 PM

24 posts, read 30,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
They probably let their house go because they couldn’t afford it. It’s WAY, let me repeat, WAY faster jumping on the 15 than it is going anywhere on the 215. I know I drive it everyday. I dread going out to Summerlin and sitting on the 215.

As far as the area going downhill. There’s some truth to it, but live behind a gate or two and you’d never know. They’ve been building high density off cactus / valley view and N of Cactus, especially west of Jones isn’t great it’s all small cramped rentals.

Personal opinion but the best part of Vegas is Summerlin South, Southern Highlands, and Henderson From McDonald Highlands west. I choose to stay in Southern Highlands because the 15 is a breeze.
Would also just like to add that anything north of Cactus and west of Jones is not Southern Highlands. Also technically speaking, the high-density at Cactus and Valley View is not officially Southern Highlands either. Southern Highlands in that area begins at Somerset Hills/Valley View. The Southern Highlands masterplan is clearly marked by the streetlights that have green on top of them. If you’re looking at a streetlight that’s painted grey, you aren’t in the official Southern Highlands masterplan. Kind of like how everything north of St. Rose at Seven Hills Dr is “Seven Hills area” but not actually part of Seven Hills.

Last edited by vegaslife18; 04-27-2020 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: Adding image.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:24 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,493 times
People complaining often don’t know it’s south of cactus they tend to cluster in all those American West homes south of Silverado on Decatur and all the developments sandwiched between Frias and cactus as southern highlands when it’s not.

As far as the valley view area I wasn’t aware of the technicality. I was under the impression all those apartments they built across from the gas station were considered in the hood. They’re probably nicer than a lot of the places along valley view and Dean Martin.

How about we just annex everything south of Blue Diamond and call it Northern Highlands? That might not work seeing as it’s all flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas