Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 09:29 PM

6 posts, read 52,768 times

Advertisements

Could someone shed some light on the boundaries of each of the above neighborhoods?

Also, what are the differences as far as what to expect from each "personality"-wise?

My husband and I are East Coasters who have been in Denver for 3 years. We currently live in a small row house in Cap Hill. We are going to rent it out and hope to buy a larger house somewhere in the Highlands area.

I'm looking for a neighborhood that will be diverse, safe, have decent schools (within 5 years, we're currently childless) and our home will appreciate in value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 11:00 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,977,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella_beam View Post
Could someone shed some light on the boundaries of each of the above neighborhoods?

Also, what are the differences as far as what to expect from each "personality"-wise?

My husband and I are East Coasters who have been in Denver for 3 years. We currently live in a small row house in Cap Hill. We are going to rent it out and hope to buy a larger house somewhere in the Highlands area.

I'm looking for a neighborhood that will be diverse, safe, have decent schools (within 5 years, we're currently childless) and our home will appreciate in value.
Sure, the city actually considers north Denver as six neighborhoods, all of which are called "Highlands" in a casual sense. There's "Highland," (aka East Highland), "West Highlands", "Sunnyside," "Berkeley", "Sloan's Lake" and "Jefferson Park." Potter Highland is a historic district that comprises much of the "Highland" neighborhood.

Highland (aka East Highland) is bounded by 38th, Federal, I-25, and Speer. As noted, the Potter Highland Historic district occupies much of the neighborhood West of Zuni. The part of Highland closer to downtown, people are now taking to call it LoHi, particarly the portion of the original downtown Grid (i.e., 15th St through 20h Street). This area is rapidly being turned into newer lofts and condos.

Jefferson Park is just south of East Highland but north of Mile High/Invesco. It's just now starting to really pick up activity with lots of lofts and condos being built, but the historic housing is mostly not very nice (with a few notable exceptions).

Sunnyside is just north of East Highland, but south of I-70, East of Federal. 38th for a long time was a barrier preventing the gentrification from spreading north, but it's starting to happen now. The east side of sunnyside, near the railroad tracks, is still pretty run down and partly industrial. Not quite sure exactly where that section starts, but the west side of Sunnyside seems nicer than the east side.

West Highlands is immediately west of East Highland across Federal -- also south of 38th, heading west to Sheridan. It runs south to I think 29th or so. This is where Highlands Square (32nd and Lowell) is and is where the real gentrification in north Denver began, and clearly where it's at its most expensive.

South of West Highlands is Sloan's Lake, which includes the namesake park and the areas around it. The northern part of the lake runs pretty imperceptibly into West Highlands.

North of West Highlands is Berkeley. It's starting to take off as well, with Tennyson Street as its main shopping district. It's a bit cheaper than West Highlands but is similar in character -- it also has two nice parks with small lakes.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:13 PM

Thanks! That is all great information!

I'm noticing we can get much more house for our money in Sunnyside vs. Highlands or Berkeley ... is Sunnyside still considered to be gentrifying, or is it a "riskier" place to buy a home?

Old 11-24-2007, 11:28 PM

249 posts, read 1,030,140 times
Potter Highland is actually quite small bordering east of Federal to Zuni and between 32nd and 38th. The cool part about this area (and good reason to think it will appreciate) is all the new businesses that have very recently moved into the area between Clay and Zuni on 32nd (i.e., Duo, Pasquini's, Gallop, An's Lemongrass Grille). I have recently found out that Pasquini's is opening a bar and Patzquaro, an excellent, very traditional mexican restaurant, is opening a patio spring 2008. The other good thing about this neighborhood is that it is walking distance to LoDo. There are other run down businesses between Clay and Zuni on 32nd that I feel confident will sell or rent and open up similar great establishments. I think you can get a nice size place for low 300s with tons of character.

Personality-wise, I think the people are very interesting and diverse in this area. They are very friendly - I don't know many places where the still neighbors hang out together. It is an exciting area to live due to all fun changes happening. There is probably a 50-50 mix between people with kids and without.

Last edited by kristenfromdenver; 11-25-2007 at 12:13 AM..

Old 11-24-2007, 11:36 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
This is the link to the a map for Denver Neighborhoods:

http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/downloads/maps/citywide/Neighborhoods.pdf (broken link)

Livecontent

Old 11-24-2007, 11:37 PM

Depends on where in Sunnyside you're talking about. I'd say the western part is about on par with Berkeley or Highland, though it's been a bit slower to redevelop than those two have. The eastern part will probably be torn up and redeveloped about the time the Fastracks commuter rail station goes in, which is to be located at around 40th Ave and Jason Ave or so. Expect that area to turn into loftsville, especially since the current housing around there is all rentals anyway and will be pretty expendible.

I wouldn't think that anywhere in North Denver is really all that "risky" right now, Sunnyside least of all. The more gentrified areas like 32nd/Lowell though are probably reaching a point where they've jumped about as high as they're going to go for a little while anyway -- and I'll bet appreciation isn't going to be quite as high as it has been in the next year or two. (If for not other reason than the housing market generally is so bad).

I've been pretty shocked at just how things have progressed so quickly -- I have some family history in North Denver so I've seen things change. Only 5-10 years ago it was gentrification more in pockets -- now most of the whole area is affected. We're on our way to see nearly 100% turnover of the neighborhood.

BTW, you mentioned schools -- word is that Acadamia Sandoval is pretty well sought after as a charter bilingual montessori. There's also a very popular IB program at Brown, and Edison has a gifted program. The schools are going to get better, eventually. However, Central Denver's mix of schools overall are much better than north Denver's, and of course the high school, North High, is easily the worst in the city now that Manual was shut down. If you stick around in north Denver, budget private or parochial schools for your kids in high school, or choice them in somewhere else.

If you move, definitely get involved in Highland Mommies as soon as you move in. They basically run all of North Denver these days, and they'll be happy to help you make choices with your kids' education since all the Moms are dealing with the same issues. If you've never heard of them -- they're like a neighborhood mom's group on steroids; there is nothing like Highland Mommies anywhere else in the city.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:54 PM

Again, thank you for all of the wonderful information! I don't have kids yet - we hope to start a family this year or next, though - and I am a teacher in Jeffco, so I suppose it is always an option (when the time has finally arrived) to opt my kids into a school I am teaching in, or at least my district. I am just trying to look to the future as far as that goes.

I have heard of Highland Mommies! A coworker is a member, and does rave about them!

Old 11-25-2007, 12:05 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
Any Part of Any Neighborhood that immediately borders Federal Blvd. in North Denver is not the best, in my opinion. Regis, Chaffee Park, SunnySide, Highland, West Highland, Berkeley, Sloan Lake, Jefferson Park, all have some problem areas that are adjacent to Federal. See the map in my previous post.

Tfox is correct that there will be changes as the Fastrack comes into being. In addition, I see big changes near St. Anthony Hospital, when it moves to the Federal Center. It will open up a large parcel of Land for development and will be near stations on the new west line. I believe that changes in this area will spill over into big development near the Sheridan station on the West Line. This will bring much development along Sheridan and will encompass Edgewater. I think changes will be more initially pronounced west to Sheridan vs. east toward Federal because Sloan's Lake is much nicer than the area around the Stadium on Federal.

Large Future Development will also be seen on in Lakeside, when Lakeside Amusement Park closes (or burns down). Certainly, the old raceway in Lakeside is due for development. There is now building happening on the old Lakeside Mall. This is a great area around Lake Rhoda (the lake in the amusement park) and across from Berkeley Lake.

So Sheridan From West 13th through Colfax to West 46th will see great growth and will become the main shopping area for real essential goods vs. expensive yuppie shopping for the North Denver gentrification neighborhoods.

I have thrown rocky mountain oysters on the floor and the pattern has given me these future predictions.

Livecontent

Old 11-28-2007, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 16,899 times
Default Moving to Denver...

I am moving from the Atlanta area to the Denver area in the next week. I am currently looking at a home in the area of W 47th Ave and Tejon. What can anyone tell me about that area?

I am looking for information on home conditions in the area, crime information, etc. Basically if someone can tell me everything they know. I have read some of the previous posts and have gathered some good information about the area. I am just trying to pin it down to a more specific area that I am looking in.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Joe

Old 11-28-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac315 View Post
I am moving from the Atlanta area to the Denver area in the next week. I am currently looking at a home in the area of W 47th Ave and Tejon. What can anyone tell me about that area?
47th is very close to I-70 -- I'd say maybe too close, depending on what part of the block you're on. I-70 is on the 48th Ave alignment.

As for that particular cross streets, can't tell you too much about it since I don't live in that part of town. I get the impression that it's still in transition, though, moreso than other parts of the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver