Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 11:18 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,058,223 times

Advertisements

The year before I occupied my house it was empty. I had a smart thermostat installed I could monitor remotely. That year we had lows of 22 and the coldest the house got was 50F. I never turned the heat on.

If I go on vacation now I do this:

- Turn off the main water valve.
- Turn the water heater all the way down.
- Flip breakers to anything that doesn't need to stay on except for things like cameras and exterior lights.
- Set heat to 55 (it basically won't ever get there)

If I were to leave the house for months:

- All of the above and:
- Empty water system
- Turn off and empty hot water heater and turn off gas
- Turn off gas to furnace and flip breaker
- Flip breaker on AC
- Keep irrigation active (mine is on a separate water loop)
- Keep outside lights on timer
- Setup inside lights on random timer in various rooms
- Leave all cabinet and closet doors open
- Put something that won't evaporate or freeze in the dishwasher, washing machine, toilets, sinks, and drains, and anything else with pumps or seals that might dry out.
- Unplug appliances
- Prop Fridge doors open
- Put space heaters in water sensitive areas to keep temp at 55
- Siphon out and cut off softener. Unplug it.

If you have electronics running in the house still like internet routers and cameras, you'll need to run some AC:
- Keep AC breakered on and set for 85F. Most electronics are rated for ambient temps up to 85F.

With no AC at all, I found my house will track roughly 10F below outside temp pretty much all summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 11:25 AM

1,609 posts, read 2,016,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
The year before I occupied my house it was empty. I had a smart thermostat installed I could monitor remotely. That year we had lows of 22 and the coldest the house got was 50F. I never turned the heat on.

You have to be careful about leaving the irrigation on, the control valve (I think that is the name) can bust and it'll leak water until someones notices it running out of yard into street. That would be a huge water bill. I realize that plants might die, but which is more important?

Old 01-15-2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
You have to be careful about leaving the irrigation on, the control valve (I think that is the name) can bust and it'll leak water until someones notices it running out of yard into street. That would be a huge water bill. I realize that plants might die, but which is more important?
Yes, its a possibility. I have trees that need water year round, so not much choice. Cheaper to fix broken irrigation than to cut down and replace a dead tree. My valves are below ground so less of a risk.

I've never actually had my irrigation freeze here. I've had a ton of busted lines but only from expanding and invasive tree roots, not from sub-zero temps.

I do cut water and empty vacuum breakers and whatnot if I know we're going to be in a cold snap for a few days.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:24 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,031,788 times
Quote:
Yes, its a possibility. I have trees that need water year round, so not much choice. Cheaper to fix broken irrigation than to cut down and replace a dead tree. My valves are below ground so less of a risk.

I've never actually had my irrigation freeze here. I've had a ton of busted lines but only from expanding and invasive tree roots, not from sub-zero temps.

I do cut water and empty vacuum breakers and whatnot if I know we're going to be in a cold snap for a few days.
Insulation blankets and sleeves are available for above ground valves. Freezing irrigation valves should never be a problem for Las Vegas, we never have the prolonged freezes that northern states have.

Old 01-16-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Insulation blankets and sleeves are available for above ground valves. Freezing irrigation valves should never be a problem for Las Vegas, we never have the prolonged freezes that northern states have.
Its just a precaution. I've seen the blankets, but all you need to do is cut off the water loop for irrigation in the garage and twist the two screws the empty the valve. No big deal.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:21 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Its just a precaution. I've seen the blankets, but all you need to do is cut off the water loop for irrigation in the garage and twist the two screws the empty the valve. No big deal.
Mine is well exposed alongside the house but has not frozen in 25 winters. It has a blanket but that is it. Has no cutoff other than the one on the vacuum breaker.

Old 01-17-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Mine is well exposed alongside the house but has not frozen in 25 winters. It has a blanket but that is it. Has no cutoff other than the one on the vacuum breaker.
My house has a separate loop for irrigation with its own shutoff.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
My house has a separate loop for irrigation with its own shutoff.
We are on a community well and have a 14 run irrigation system on a .6 acre lot. We have pressure irrigation lines in all corners of the property. There are 6 boxes spread around with wiring for valves. Each box has a hose connection as well. The irrigation system is teed of the main feed to the property and has its own cutoff at the vacuum breaker. The house has a cutoff in the garage.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:59 PM

1,086 posts, read 746,686 times
Quote:

If I go on vacation now I do this:

- Turn off the main water valve.
- Turn the water heater all the way down.
- Flip breakers to anything that doesn't need to stay on except for things like cameras and exterior lights.
- Set heat to 55 (it basically won't ever get there)

If I were to leave the house for months:

- All of the above and:
- Empty water system
- Turn off and empty hot water heater and turn off gas
- Turn off gas to furnace and flip breaker
- Flip breaker on AC
- Keep outside lights on timer
- Setup inside lights on random timer in various rooms
- Leave all cabinet and closet doors open
- Put something that won't evaporate or freeze in the dishwasher, washing machine, toilets, sinks, and drains, and anything else with pumps or seals that might dry out.
- Unplug appliances
- Prop Fridge doors open
- Put space heaters in water sensitive areas to keep temp at 55
- Siphon out and cut off softener. Unplug it.

If you have electronics running in the house still like internet routers and cameras, you'll need to run some AC:
- Keep AC breakered on and set for 85F. Most electronics are rated for ambient temps up to 85F.

With no AC at all, I found my house will track roughly 10F below outside temp pretty much all summer.
I am sure these are great ideas but it sounds exhausting to do all that. I'd rather have someone house sit or check on the place occasionally.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
I am sure these are great ideas but it sounds exhausting to do all that. I'd rather have someone house sit or check on the place occasionally.
Well said. Our home has not been unoccupied for more than 24 hours in 20 years. We are going to have to find a new house sitter though. The retired bookie we have used for the last 15 years has vanished. We are hunting for him but it looks bad. May need to find a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: