Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 06:21 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,921,814 times

Advertisements

I get this question a lot. "Are there family-friendly things for me to do with my kids?" "What do locals do on weekends?" "I'm not into gambling, is there anything else to do?"

So I thought it would be helpful to provide a comprehensive list of all the cool things the city has to offer locals. I'll start the list, but of course, anyone can add onto it.

For Kids & The Family:
-Skymania (a whole new type of extreme sport). SkyMania Homepage
-Lied Discovery Children's Museum (science and technology museum oriented towards kids). Lied Discovery Children’s Museum
-The Springs Preserve (an outdoor ecological exhibit). Springs Preserve (http://www.springspreserve.org/html/home.html - broken link)
-Bodies: The Exhibition. http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/
-UNLV sporting events. UNLV Rebels
-Las Vegas 51s (minor league baseball). Las Vegas 51s: Home

Culture and Entertainment:
-Phantom of the Opera. PHANTOM - THE LAS VEGAS SPECTACULAR
-Cirque du Soleil shows. Cirque Du Soleil - Las Vegas
-Jazz bands and orchestras playing @ the Hills Park in the summer. Picnic style.
-UNLVino. Annual wine tasting event. UNLVino® - Las Vegas Wine Event
-San Gennaro Italian Food Festival. San Gennaro Feast - Las Vegas
-Red White and Boom. Annual 4th of July concert and festivities. Sparks in the Park : 4th of July Festival Event
-House of Blues. Popular concert venue. House of Blues - Mandalay Bay

Outdoor Recreation:
-Mount Charleston. Hiking fall through spring, skiing in the winter. Mount Charleston Lodge
-Red Rock Canyon. Red Rock Canyon
-Lake Mead. Lake Mead National Recreation Area
-Lake Las Vegas. Often hosts events. The Official Home Page of Lake Las Vegas
-Golf. Las Vegas Golf Courses
-Cycling teams. Las Vegas Bike (http://www.lasvegascyclery.com/index.htm - broken link)
-Youth Soccer. Nevada Youth Soccer Association

Other locals, please share your favorite things to do in the valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 09:20 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,576,464 times
Good.With the sports you forgot the 1st place LV Wranglers!!!Other than that it seems your on point.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:07 PM

638 posts, read 2,244,369 times
First Friday - First Friday:: Welcome
Mountain Biking - for details... McGhie's Bike Outpost – Bike Tours and Bike Rentals Near Las Vegas, Nevada
Flying RC planes LVRCONLINE.com - Home Page
Photography... tons of good shots to be taken all over the valley

Thats just to name a few.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:01 AM

253 posts, read 1,332,552 times
This site run by a woman I know has a great listing of local events: Las Vegas: Sandra Off the Strip

Old 03-24-2008, 11:24 PM

280 posts, read 572,183 times
Im more into the history of an area. And I love taken drives up to the old mining towns (Pioche, Panaca, Goldfield, Tonopah and such) and exploring. If your a rock-hound these are great areas for rare finds.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:26 PM

280 posts, read 572,183 times
Oh and I almost forgot,
FISHING at Lake Mead

Old 03-24-2008, 11:33 PM

13 posts, read 13,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVNVTrucker View Post
Oh and I almost forgot,
FISHING at Lake Mead
i thought lake mead dried up?

Old 03-25-2008, 11:56 AM

What? Lake Mead is losing water, but it's still very deep. Deep enough for boating and water recreation.

And there are plenty of fish. They tend to hang out by the piers, so they can mooch off people who feed them.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:58 PM

Bumping this, so more people can see it.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:02 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
What? Lake Mead is losing water, but it's still very deep. Deep enough for boating and water recreation.

And there are plenty of fish. They tend to hang out by the piers, so they can mooch off people who feed them.
It would take a while for this to dry up even if the river stopped flowing.

The Reservoir (Lake Mead)
Length: When full 110 miles
Shoreline: 550 miles
Capacity: 28,537,000 acre-feet , including dead storage
Maximum depth: 500 feet
Area: 157,900 acres(
Elevation: 1221.4 feet

BTW: Those fish near the piers are not the game fish, they are carp, considered trash fish. They are fun to watch as they follow you up and down begging for food. The game fish are: Largemouth bass, striped bass, channel catfish, crappie, and bluegill. Back in the day we used to catch trout out there but then they introduced striped bass and they ate all the trout. Trout can't spawn in a warm water lake so had to be stocked. I believe you can still catch trout below the dam at Cottonwood Cove on the Arizona side but the stripers made their way through the dam and into the river and started eating those trout too. Has anyone fished down there lately? I haven't for a long time and would like to go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas