Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 02:39 PM

22 posts, read 119,500 times

Advertisements

well im planning on moving to the US soon but im undecided where to go,NYC,LA or LV. but the thing is i would like to know what the public transport is like in LV because i wont be buying a car at first.and maybe if u could chose between the citys what would u chose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 02:48 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
it public trans were the only deciding factor I would probably choose NYC.....Las Vegas is doable on public transportation but is NOT the best in the world

Old 05-07-2008, 02:52 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,474,424 times
Las Vegas only has a bus system, and an inadequate one at that. Sometimes, depending on where you live, you need to drive to the nearest bus stop.

We have no train, no streetcar and no subway system. The Monorail only runs adjacent to the Las Vegas Strip, behind the hotels...and not ALL of them at that and only drops you off at the hotels. It's for the tourists.

Choose NYC, you don't need a car there at all.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:58 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Las Vegas only has a bus system, and an inadequate one at that. Sometimes, depending on where you live, you need to drive to the nearest bus stop.

We have no train, no streetcar and no subway system. The Monorail only runs adjacent to the Las Vegas Strip, behind the hotels...and not ALL of them at that and only drops you off at the hotels. It's for the tourists.

Choose NYC, you don't need a car there at all.

But for almost any life style it is cheaper to live in Las Vegas and buy a car than to live in NYC and ride public transit.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:02 PM

Las Vegas is cheaper than NYC to live in...but the OP provided no details other than basing his/her decision on public transportation.

I'm not too familiar with the LA area, don't know how that public transporation is compared to NYC. Gotta be much better than Las Vegas though.

I would put Las Vegas LAST on the OP's list as far as public transit is concerned.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:22 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Las Vegas is cheaper than NYC to live in...but the OP provided no details other than basing his/her decision on public transportation.

I'm not too familiar with the LA area, don't know how that public transporation is compared to NYC. Gotta be much better than Las Vegas though.

I would put Las Vegas LAST on the OP's list as far as public transit is concerned.

You would be incorrect. Aside from some narrow corridors served by light rail LA is the worst public transport set up in the Nation. Simply too big and sprawling. Everything is 25 miles apart. Las Vegas is in general better even though it is pretty limited.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:09 PM

818 posts, read 3,698,510 times
Las Vegas can be fine for someone without a car, as long as you stick to the central part of town. As soon as you need to start stretching out to the 'burbs, your commute gets long and sometimes impossible.

Visit the RTC's site (broken link) for maps and routes

Old 05-07-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
You would be incorrect. Aside from some narrow corridors served by light rail LA is the worst public transport set up in the Nation. Simply too big and sprawling. Everything is 25 miles apart. Las Vegas is in general better even though it is pretty limited.
Oh, I thought LA had a better public transporation system than that...

Us old people learn something new everyday...

Old 05-07-2008, 04:31 PM

150 posts, read 636,206 times
There are many edge areas of Lv where the nearest bus stop is 1 to 2 miles away. LV is not mass transit friendly for residents.

Personally I loved DC. I lived there and the METRO was awesome for a system in a city that is not condensed like NYC.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:51 PM

100 posts, read 404,757 times
I agree on the vegas transportation system!
As for NYC. Unless you have a lot of money, living in the city is very expensive. If you live in the subrurbs (NJ) you have mass transportation to the city all day long. But if you plan on working in the city and living in NJ, you pay 2 separate income taxes to both to Nj and a portion to NYC. North eastern, NJ is not cheap either! That is why we are retiring to vegas in the next 2 months!
The taxes in both states are a killer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas