Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 02:39 PM

542 posts, read 1,928,835 times

Advertisements

Okay so I don't have a laptop and I will be there for an entire week job/condo hunting. Of course I plan to pound the pavement once I'm there. I also plan to try and set as much as I can up before I get there. However, I know once I'm there I will want to be on the net daily to check out new leads. PLUS I have to run the condos I'm considering past you all for the stamp of approval and ask all the usual questions ..."is this place safe" "will I need to sleep with my gun" "are the walls paper thin" ?? ha ha ha

Can you go to the public library and use the internet for free?? I thought about just renting a laptop from a rental place but you can't just get them for a week, which is all I need.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 02:43 PM

359 posts, read 1,407,789 times
as for a lappy, why dont you just get a low end lappy with wireless ? you can a decent notebook for around 499 at compusa. or just go to the library and use their desktops. i think most of them are free and u might need a library card which is free also. the wifi if they have it is usually free too. just click and connect. and some other places like some starbucks and seattle's best have free wifi. go check those places out.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:47 PM

542 posts, read 1,928,835 times
Thanks for the advice, I think I will just apply for a library card before I get there. I hadn't planned on buying a laptop because I have a desktop and I'm pretty happy with it. Of course I won't be bringing that with me on vacation for a week. ha ha ha I really would only need the laptop for one week so it wouldn't be worth it to buy.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:07 PM

572 posts, read 1,684,460 times
Default Internet cafe

Library cards are free, but you have to be a resident, or show some sort of proof of residency (i.e. utility bill, etc.) I used the Spring Valley branch two summers ago when I was doing research for a class while I was on vacation out there. Las Vegas-Clark County Library District. There are branches all over the valley, but I'm sure they are pretty much the same.

My best advice would be to use an Internet cafe. Before I got my laptop, I was pretty much a fixture at Elysium Internet Cafe -:: ELYSIUM INTERNET CAFE ::- They are open 24/7 and are located on Sahara Avenue, just west of Buffalo, on the south side. In addition to free wi-fi, they have a bunch of desktop computers that you can use for a fee. You purchase a card, which never expires (I believe it's like 5 hours for 20 bucks). Plus, they don't have any sort of restrictions on websites for their internet, which the library tends to do. (*not that I look at those sites, mind you, but you'd be surprised what the library consideres offensive).

Plus, you can print there (I think it's like 10 cents a page, pretty standard) AND they have yummy food and coffee. They're a cool bunch of people. Definitely check it out. Heck, my mom even goes there when she needs to print out boarding passes for her flights, LOL!

I'm not sure where you are staying in town, but it's pretty much a straight shot west on Sahara from the strip, probably no more than 10-15 mins. at night. Definitely worth checking out.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:42 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon2vegas View Post
Can you go to the public library and use the internet for free??

Yes, but I don't recommend visiting the Library just north of downtown on LV Blvd. It is full of homeless types who hang out inside during the day. Creepy! Inside the library there are signs everywhere restricting the patrons' movements, etc. Incredible! I was in there just a few days ago. (The LV Rescue Mission is also just north of dt LV, so keep this mind about the clientele in that area.)

reviewjournal.com -- News: DAYTIME DIVERSION: Homeless find shelter in libra...

This article is from 2005 and says that at that time about 50% of the patrons in the dt LV branch are homeless.

During my visit a few days ago, I also noticed that the library had placed a large TV up on a wall outside in one of the patios to give the "patrons" something to watch while they hang around. There were about 20 people watching when I happened to walk in with a good number of additional unoccupied chairs also placed there. Amazing! This is not what I expect that most Vegas residents want the Library to be used for. But that's the result of the city's policy of not arranging for dedicated facilities for the homeless.

Last edited by ParkTwain; 05-13-2008 at 06:31 PM..

Old 05-13-2008, 05:44 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones978 View Post
My best advice would be to use an Internet cafe. Before I got my laptop, I was pretty much a fixture at Elysium Internet Cafe -:: ELYSIUM INTERNET CAFE ::- They are open 24/7 and are located on Sahara Avenue, just west of Buffalo ...

I also can recommend this place. You can buy as little as a small smoothie and get 2 hours of WiFi internet usage (on your own computer) for free.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:28 PM

31 posts, read 97,812 times
Default No Jobs In Vegas!!!

Go Back before you regret it.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:23 PM

99 posts, read 416,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needajobinvegas View Post
Go Back before you regret it.
I don't think I like this guy's attitude--am I alone?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:26 PM

494 posts, read 1,897,789 times
Will you be staying in a hotel? Does it offer Web TV/Internet access?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:27 PM

494 posts, read 1,897,789 times
There ARE jobs in Vegas... If you have the right attitude & are willing to work hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas