Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2023, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,196 times

Advertisements

My wife and I travelled to Vermont for what will be a total of 9 days for a family funeral. We left our daughter home alone (safe neighborhood, plenty of food, etc). She is 4 days shy of her 18th birthday. She's very independent and responsible and her high school is a quick walk from the house. She's a straight A student and is starting UNLV this coming August. She has a job and a car.

Our neighbor (a total Karen we've been having to deal with for years) called CPS to report that we "abandoned" our daughter. The other day, 3 CPS workers showed up at my front door. My daughter told them all was well, but did not let them in. They called me and I assured them all was well.

Today I get a call from CPS who informed me they have acquired a search warrant for my house (to ensure my daughter has food/water and is safe) and a warrant to interview my daughter at school. I did not answer any questions but told them this is ridiculous as my daughter will be 18 years old in 4 days. They told me that her age doesn't matter. Then they hit me with this... if a person is 18 in Nevada and is still enrolled in high school, they are still considered a "minor". I call total bs on that. If you are 18 you are an adult. There are also no laws/statutes in Nevada regarding to age children can be left home alone. They further told me this is going to be a complete child neglect investigation that will take time.

Has anyone delt with CPS before in Clark County? What about the "minor" if still in high school thing? My daughter, wife, and myself are not going to speak to them but this whole thing seems absurd given my daughter's age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2023, 01:49 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,707,876 times
I would get an attorney who knows the law about this asap, it sounds like it could be a nightmare for you. Close (as in close to 18) only counts in horseshoes. Pretty unbelievable your neighbor would call CPS. Sorry to hear this happened.

Decades ago, my wife and I left our slightly under 18 year old daughter at our house for a few days. She threw a party and her friends trashed our new house. Back in those days, she and her friends would have been in trouble, not us. Times have changed. Good luck.

Old 03-24-2023, 03:56 PM

7,761 posts, read 3,791,421 times
Lawyer up with a good Family Law attorney ASAP. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200, head directly to an attorney TODAY. This is going to cost you a pretty penny, but if you do not do so, you might very well be on the receiving end with no lube.

It seems to me Child Protective Services ought to have much higher priority cases. I'm quite sure there are actual children who are without actual adult supervision and who do not have an adult providing for their basic needs of food & shelter & education. Why CPS is bothering you - well, that's an indication they do not have enough work to do. They need their budgets cut.

Not in Nevada, but I was on my own prior to 18. I was even chipping in money for my Mom, my autistic older brother & special needs little sister. I started hustling for money (nothing illegal) when I was 14, and haven't stopped since.

At the same time, I suspect there is a law that CPS must fully investigate any complaint they receive, and that is why they are being diligent. Still....

Old 03-24-2023, 06:13 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,955 times
Wow, so many kids in crisis in Las Vegas and that is what CPS decides to act on so quickly. I find it hard to believe they responded so quickly. In most cases Metro would do a welfare check and they would be the ones to call CPS.

Old 03-25-2023, 01:59 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,260,775 times
Nevada law has no legal minimum age for leaving a child home alone. Since she is almost 18 let them interview her at school. She should be the one to reiterate that she is almost 18, has a job a car and that they are completely out of line.

Old 03-25-2023, 03:16 PM

299 posts, read 224,377 times
CPS has to (and should) investigate all instances no matter how absurd they seem on a personal level. They don't know you or your situation so they have to investigate everything. They could have been told this is normal or eluded to other abuse CPS won't directly tell you about because they are investigating YOU as a potential abusive deceptive parent like the thousands they encounter every day.

As far as I know/understand 18 year old high school students are minors because they are 100% dependent on their parents as their status as students is contingent on where they live amd who's responsible for their needs. So it's less about the age and more about the fact your daughter is still considered dependent on you. This is why people complain about paying child support for their 19 year old that flunked 12th grade. If they are still enrolled in school they are dependants until graduation or they prove in court otherwise.

My advice is to work with CPS as carefully as you can. A lawyer at this point will help guide you, but a court order like a warrant isn't avoidable. They most likely just want to ensure the house is safe, clean, and the child isn't in destress. Not doing so would open them up to possible legal issues if there was abuse and they never did anything or walk away. As long as your daughter reiterates she feels safe, cared for, and shows her maturity (can demonstrate her readiness for college and understands how to handle emergencies) the issue will be done.

The school year will end soon enough and that will shut the case. The main worry is the neighbor that call CPS on your 18 year old. Next year when the daughter housesits it could be the police. That needs to be addressed asap; maybe a lawyer could help send a threatening letter regarding harassment?

Old 03-25-2023, 04:34 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,616 times
Disagree with sending a threatening letter to the neighbor. It will just make you look bad. Maybe neighbor is associated with one of those dozens of jobs, which mandate reporting. As a mandated reporter, you are legally required to report any suspicion of child abandonment or neglect, even if the child is “close enough” to crossing the threshold into being a legal adult. I would be wary of any lawyer who is willing to put their name on a letter discouraging people from going to the authorities to report suspicions of neglect or abuse.

Old 03-26-2023, 07:07 AM

1,933 posts, read 819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
Wow, so many kids in crisis in Las Vegas and that is what CPS decides to act on so quickly. I find it hard to believe they responded so quickly. In most cases Metro would do a welfare check and they would be the ones to call CPS.
Even CPS has quotas to meet, and low hanging fruit fulfills the needed numbers

Old 03-27-2023, 07:12 AM

7,761 posts, read 3,791,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlynorthofnowhere View Post
Even CPS has quotas to meet, and low hanging fruit fulfills the needed numbers
Good point.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:24 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
Bro, get an attorney. You do not want to mess with CPS. They screwed my friend over very badly and he no longer has his kids!!! Get an attorney TODAY!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: