Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 08:41 PM

615 posts, read 665,623 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for affordable real estate and found a house that fits my budget, but it turns out to be right near the AFB runway. It is in a neighborhood that borders the airport property.That is probably why it is less than $1 per sq. ft, garage and massive space. I don't care about the area being rough, but my concern is the noise at night that might wake me up. Has anyone lived near there? I'm wondering if jets come and go at night or if pilots work more of a 9-5 M-F shift like a normal government worker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2023, 08:55 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Military pilots do not have a 9 - 5 shift. They go when they are needed. (Navy veteran here)

Old 03-25-2023, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Military pilots do not have a 9 - 5 shift. They go when they are needed. (Navy veteran here)

I was thinking about just trying to live there for a month and see how loud it is. Do you think air traffic is loud enough to wake people at night?

Old 03-25-2023, 07:04 AM

399 posts, read 562,983 times
Nellis traffic is 100% driven by airspace time (NTTR - just North of the base), which will commonly start at 6AM in the summer and not end until 9PM. Additionally - there are recurring periods of the year where takeoffs will continue until about 10-11PM for airspace times until the wee hour of the morning. Don't do it.

Old 03-25-2023, 08:54 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,227,253 times
As I recall having worked as a contractor at Nellis, they allow full afterburner takeoffs.

Awesome spectacle at night with the sights and sounds, but that would get old quick as a resident.

Old 03-25-2023, 09:16 AM

6 AM - 9 PM is reasonable. I'm next to Las Vegas blvd and Harleys roar at night, probably just as loud as a jet, laying on it at full throttle right off the light I'm next to, rowing through the gears. 130db at 1 AM. Plus I've got road noise coming through my window during the day/when people are active even when there aren't vehicles driving by with loud exhaust.

It is $3 sq ft here where I am for a studio. The rentals on Zillow and the other SEO optimized sites for the Vegas area are silly expensive for what I get and there is no private garage to keep my car in. I'd like to move into a 1+ bedroom house with a garage and even better a front yard and back yard with a drive way. Where is land less expensive in Nevada such that rentals are about $1 sq. foot and there is access to grocery stores?

Old 03-25-2023, 11:23 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,705,983 times
You are paying $3/sq ft, i.e 1,000 sq ft costs $3,000/ month. You want a house for a $1/sq ft = $1,000/month for 1,000 sq ft. I don't think that exists here, but I may be wrong. I suggest not focusing on cost/sq foot so much, but finding a place you can afford that has what you are looking for and doesn't have what you don't want. Even if you pay what you are paying now, you will probably get more for your money. The studio you are in probably has high HOA fees. Look at all aspects of the housing budget, cost of utilities etc. Get a realtor to help you, it's their job to know where to find what you're looking for.

Old 03-25-2023, 03:30 PM

The $1 per sq. ft. house exists by the runway I may need to do an apartment instead since they are cheaper. I like your idea of spending a little more for comfort but if I end up spending too much per month for rent then that means I can save less money per month and I'd be handing that cash over from my employer right to a landlord when it could be staying in the bank.

Old 03-25-2023, 03:54 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,705,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z06 View Post
The $1 per sq. ft. house exists by the runway I may need to do an apartment instead since they are cheaper. I like your idea of spending a little more for comfort but if I end up spending too much per month for rent then that means I can save less money per month and I'd be handing that cash over from my employer right to a landlord when it could be staying in the bank.
Of course, that's always the case. Do you know your way around the Las Vegas area? There are lots of places I wouldn't want to live even if rent was free. Money in the bank is great, living in a safe place is priceless.

Old 03-25-2023, 09:12 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z06 View Post
<snip>
Do you think air traffic is loud enough to wake people at night?
It will be loud. Very, very loud. I was stationed at Naval Air Station Adak, Ak and McGu, Ca. Adak had P-3 Orions on anti-submarine patrols 24-7 every time a boomer left Valdavostok. As for McGu, Full afterburner take-offs at any time. Get earplugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas