Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 08:59 PM

775 posts, read 776,015 times

Advertisements

We just installed a new pool with a very quiet pump, variable speed. Our neighbor has been complaining about noise, even though it is located on our side of his garage, away from their living area. We notified them before building and only run it during the day due to solar heating. He has complained about the noise, going so far as enter our yard to speak with our spa guy to complain, and leaving pool pump insulating info on our doorstep. We deliberately chose the quietest pump we could get so it would not be a nuisance. Today he complained because he could hear it in his yard during the day. Previously he complained because it was keeping them awake at night. This is a brand new system which we have serviced every week. It’s as quiet as they get. It’s not a case of poor maintenance or an old, loud system. We are presently trying to find a suitable insulator for the pump motor that will not overheat it. Today he mentioned it again and had erected an obnoxious styrofoam block on his side of the common wall. He also said he could turn up his stereo amp to drown it out. While I told him we were working on it, I reminded him of fire wood and trash he has piled against his house on the side bordering ours which is a fire and pest hazard, which does violate code. Then he got nasty. We have lived here five years and have had no issues with neighbors, in fact, we exchange gifts at Christmas and help each other out with things around the neighborhood. I’m afraid I finally told him he was being over the top and walked away. We are not violating any codes and everything is permitted and professionally installed, and honestly want to alleviate any nuisance. He has otherwise been a reasonable neighbor, sharing fruit and eggs with us, but now I’m not sure. We are fully aware of his concerns and are not ignoring them. While it seems that we are trying to fix a problem that likely exists in his own head, how do we deal with his other intrusions? Am worried that anything we are able to reasonably do will not be enough. No HOA. Never encountered this before and we have lived here over 25 years.
Rate this post positively
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2023, 09:11 PM

I placed this post in the Orlando forums in error and have now opened it here. My thanks to those who helped me with replies. This is a Las Vegas post.

Old 05-23-2023, 12:32 AM

299 posts, read 224,377 times
I would completely ignore and inform the neighbor that he's trespassing next time he enters your yard. You live in Vegas and pools are a thing here. I'm sure he would be upset if your pump stopped and the pool filled with nasty standing water.

I would maybe get a security camera to keep an eye on the pool area. If he gets brazen enough he might try to mess with your pool as a act of revenge. Maybe record the noise level so if he does complain you'll have evidence right away that it's just normal noise.

Old 05-23-2023, 05:40 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,588,452 times
Pentair Intelliflo is the quietest variable speed pump. Is that what you have? I’d be curious as to what info he left regarding pool pump insulating. Is there a chance your pump was installed incorrectly? As far as the styrofoam block wall contact your City Building Code Drpt might be a violation. Sounds like you have a neighbor who has issues far beyond the noise of a pump.

Last edited by Packrat1; 05-23-2023 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 05-23-2023, 09:19 PM

It’s a Hayward variable speed pump and isn’t loud. Yes it hums but it’s not unmaintained, old or defective. It’s very quiet but obviously a new noise for the neighbor, which is why we talked to all our neighbors before building. All permitting requirements and codes are met. Installation was done only 18 months ago and we have it cleaned and maintained weekly. The info he left was about covering the filter housing, not the motor.

We found yesterday that our solar heating unit had been turned off. No proof but we are wondering how that happened. It didn’t do that by itself.

According to what we have gathered from other neighbors, your last sentence is correct. His own pool is empty and we were told by neighbors that he had once been reported for it being green, years before we were here. The styrofoam could be another issue but we don’t want to rock the boat over that just yet. We have locked all our boxes and gates.

Old 05-24-2023, 11:39 AM

83 posts, read 67,184 times
I know it is a pain but it may be time to set up dedicated cameras for your pool equipment and the solar shutoff. You may also want to put up no trespassing signs, ensure you write the applicable NRS number on them. Having to take out a restraining order on your neighbor is not unheard of but i a very last resort. You could have an engineer come in and measure dB of pump at different distances and even his back yard if he would allow it. This will probably escalate sooner rather than later so make sure your ducks are all in a row.

bob

Old 05-24-2023, 11:58 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,707,876 times
I'm a professional recording and live sound engineer. I doubt the styrofoam block is doing anything to lessen the noise he hears. Low frequency sounds (long wavelengths) will travel around it. Sound pressure level (SPL) drops according to the inverse square law. https://www.wkcgroup.com/tools-room/...nd-calculator/

You could build an enclosure around the system, but it would have to be well ventilated. In the hottest months, I think it would be impossible to keep the pump cool enough.

It sounds to me like your neighbor might have a legitimate complaint, i.e. he hears something he didn't before the new pool and pump were installed, but I don't think he can do anything about it from a legal standpoint. If the sound level at his home doesn't meet the standard for a noise ordinance complaint, he's out of luck. The ordinance also states hours of the day (10pm to 7am), if the pump isn't running during the time of day when it applies, he doesn't have a legal basis for a complaint.

Old 05-24-2023, 12:15 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,588,452 times
Additionally if you have cavitation caused by an air leak or filter has air in it this will cause more sound or if the motor bearings are going out. Check to see if your pump has water all the way up to the see thru lid. If you see there is a lot of bubbles or turbulence thru the lid you might have a problem. Just an idea anyway.

Last edited by Packrat1; 05-24-2023 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 05-25-2023, 07:54 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,260,775 times
I don't know a darn thing about pool pumps/equipment. Is something like this an option? https://noisypool.com/products/

Also, I agree with putting up cameras. He really has no business being on your property looking for problems.

Old 05-25-2023, 06:23 PM

The pool was newly constructed 2 years ago and the Hayward pump is a 2.7 THP variable speed pump. There are 4 speed settings as well as various selectable pump run times. Having spoken with our pool guy, we have instructed him him to lower the speed from current 2600RPM to 2300 from 0900 to 1200 noon, and then back to 2600 until 1800 when the pump is deactivated. Max RPM according to Hayward owners manual is 3450. So, we are well under that at all times.

Initially, he said it kept them awake at night as their bedroom is on that side of their house. It only ran 24/7 for about 2 days when first built as that was a manufacturer’s requirement. As stated previously the equipment and pool is maintained professionally every week. Now he says it disturbs the peace and quiet of his backyard during the day time! It’s Vegas, 75% of people have pools with pumps running during the day. We’ve never had an issues with anyone’s pool pump “noise” in any of the three house with pools we’ve had before. Nor can I find any thread where this was a big issue. It’s white noise, certainly much less than traffic on a main road.

Anyway, we have placed an order for one of these on AMZN:

Horizon Industries Pump Motor Cover for Hayward Ecostar Pump - Variable Speed Pool Pump Motor/Drive Cover - Outdoor
(Unable to upload a photo here, but easily found on AMZN on that title)

At $71 incl. tax, it’s a lot cheaper than your suggestion and much cheaper than a shed-like covering which start at $1700! Keep in mind, you need unfettered access for maintenance as well as ventilation. Sometimes simple is best. I also like this as it is designed to prolong the life of the motor from the elements such as rain, sunshine and UV rays. It can be cut for a custom fit and is just placed over the pump motor section. It can also mitigate noise levels although that is not its primary function. At least we are making* an effort, not ignoring it……

Hopefully, this will be the end of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas