Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 10:06 AM

18 posts, read 41,187 times

Advertisements

We're looking to rent a home in Henderson, one of the home is about $100 more than the other home that we like more. However, it's got a solar system that is supposedly $100 flat fee for unlimited electricity.

We're debating on if it's worth paying more for a floor plan we don't like as much but in return save on electricity. Both homes are aboutt 2400 sq ft 2 stories. The more expensive home with the solar is newer and better insulated.

I tried to search this info up and ask a few friends and I'm getting numbers anywhere from 200-800 in the summer months and 150-200 the rest of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 10:32 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,705,983 times
Floor plan is very important to me. You can put solar panels on any house that doesn't have them. If you plan to live in the house a long time, I would for sure buy the house with the floor plan I prefer and put solar panels on it if you think the investment is worth it. I would not buy a house based on the cost of the power bill.

Old 05-24-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
Floor plan is very important to me. You can put solar panels on any house that doesn't have them. If you plan to live in the house a long time, I would for sure buy the house with the floor plan I prefer and put solar panels on it if you think the investment is worth it. I would not buy a house based on the cost of the power bill.
That's the thing, we have some business to take care of here for a couple years, we're not sure if we would stay or move back to California afterward as we still have our home in CA. If we were to buy, then you're right, you can't change the structure so the floor plan is priority.

Old 05-24-2023, 11:27 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
That being the case, you should, by all means, rent until you know for sure your long term status, and stop agonizing over a mere $100.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-24-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
That being the case, you should, by all means, rent until you know for sure your long term status, and stop agonizing over a mere $100.
It's not the $100, if electricity is 500-600 then the flat fee electricity makes sense. If it's a couple hundred bucks then it doesn't matter we'll go with the house we like.

Old 05-24-2023, 11:58 AM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
You can ask to see the electric bills for the house over the last 2 years. I know in northern Nevada rates have skyrocketed in the past year.

Old 05-24-2023, 12:01 PM

783 posts, read 836,666 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-...-increase.html

The electricity bills in Las Vegas can be very high in the summer heat. $100/month for a 2 story home is a bargain.

In the linked thread, a poster from LV says he is paying well over $500/month.

Old 05-24-2023, 06:42 PM

Look at the average per month cost over a year, not the high and low months. My average monthly bill for a 2,100 sq ft single story home is about $100. Heat rises in two story homes, they should have separate systems and thermostats (dual zones). I don't have a pool and control the temperatures in my house day and night because I work from home. You would be surprised at what feels comfortable here after you acclimate to the climate. My thermostat is set to about 77 degrees during the day in the hottest months and I'm never uncomfortable. There are many months I don't use much heat or A/C. Being conscious of energy consumption isn't difficult, and I won't sacrifice my comfort for what it costs to change the settings. Using ceiling fans makes a big difference in comfort level. You only turn them on when you are in the room.

Old 05-24-2023, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
Look at the average per month cost over a year, not the high and low months. My average monthly bill for a 2,100 sq ft single story home is about $100. I don't have a pool and control the temperatures in my house day and night because I work from home. You would be surprised at what feels comfortable here after you acclimate to the climate. My thermostat is set to about 77 degrees during the day in the hottest months and I'm never uncomfortable. There are many months I don't use much heat or A/C. Being conscious of energy consumption isn't difficult, and I won't sacrifice my comfort for what it costs to change the settings. Using ceiling fans makes a big difference in comfort level. You only turn them on when you are in the room.
I also noticed this. I flew in this past weekend, it was 95 degrees outside but it felt like 80-85 for CA. One of the house we viewed T stat was set to 78 and it was extremely cool inside. As I write this sitting here at home in CA, my T stat sits at 70. During the summer, it's at 68. Any reading above 75 in my house here would be very uncomfortable.

Old 05-24-2023, 06:57 PM

I lived in Illinois and Florida before I moved to Vegas. I'm still surprised at my thermostat settings here, my power bills are a lot less than the other places I lived. I set my thermostat to 75 at night in the hot months and sleep fine with the ceiling fan on a low setting. Vegas is not like any other place I know of. Low dew points make a huge difference in comfort level. I don't know how I survived living in Florida for five years, I was always miserable except when I was in an air conditioned space or my pool. I visited friends in LA, Scottsdale and San Diego over the past year. Those are places known for nice weather. I could feel how "humid" they felt compared to Vegas.

Last edited by movin1; 05-24-2023 at 07:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas