Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 02:23 AM

6 posts, read 10,277 times

Advertisements

first a quick sidenote for total genius....
I moved here from Virginia a year ago, because of the opportunities that Vegas offers..

I worked for Capital One in Richmond, when they hired us they told us the reason Capital One and other corporations like it were located in Virginia so they could pay next to nothing for employees. It was tough making money there.

I currently work on the strip in sales, and am selling 2-3 thousand dollars a day in merchandise much like when i started a year ago. People are still coming here by the thousands everyday, and spending A LOT of money.

Gas prices are high, but people are definitely spending the extra money to come here, and will continue to do so.

the difference between the mid atlantic region and so cal is that so cal people have more money to spend, and frequently bring that money to vegas.

hotels are not cutting back like total genius is writing, we just started djing on the weekends at a strip hotel for their pool party. They are spending more money for us djing 3 days a week than a tier 3 exec makes at a big virginia corporation.

i think numbers are relative to the region.. i really dont agree that you can just draw a line across the board and show what city is worse of than others by showing percentages.

just my humble opinion, but i have to say i think Vegas will be continue to grow and provide opportunities for people who live here.

now a possible theory from left field on our economy and why we are in the mess we are in...

open your mind for just a few minutes and watch the videos, then make your own judgement.

could the powers that run this country actually be creating this downturn to further a larger goal ?
if you think about it, the top corporations/individuals are making record profits in these tough times.. i.e. the David Rockafellers, Bush's, Clinton's etc...

what if the dollar was ran into the ground on purpose, driving food and energy prices sky high with no end in sight to make the public desperate enough to go along with the unthinkable... merging North America to compete with the E.U.
3 countries merged.
1 currency.
banks now get millions of new customers.
we merge the natural resources of mexico, alaska, and canada.(Alot of OIL)

the idea could be sold that if we merged we will all be better off, and more competitive in the world.

makes sense why nothing was done about the border fence..
makes sense why the U.S. and Canada are investing taxpayer money into Mexican infrastructure.

Oddly the plan has already been put in motion and signed between Vicente Fox, George Bush and prime minister Paul Martin in 2005.. here's a couple cool videos..

first 2 videos are Ron Paul questioning Ben Bernanke on why the fed is creating the falling dollar

YouTube - CNBC Ron Paul grills Bernanke, traders cheering 2008.02.27

YouTube - Ron Paul Questions Ben Bernanke On U.S. Economy

YouTube - North American Union by 2010

YouTube - Deceit and Betrayal: Bush's Plan to Destroy the U.S.

deception by dick cheney and rockafeller on the council for foreign relations..

YouTube - Cheney Laughs About North American Union Agenda Deception

the amero - the north american union currency

YouTube - The Amero - North American Currency

YouTube - Lou Dobbs: North American Union Orwellian Brave New World

some powerful information...

Old 06-30-2008, 09:34 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Gas is not $4.40. Not untill next week. Yes there is a severe water shortage. Very severe. Rely on foreign tourist to bring us out of this depression? How can a local economy turn around by depending on foreigners?

The whole country is in a recession. Worse then any we have ever seen in 80 years. We here just happen to be in one of the 5 hardest hit. While many states argue if they are in a recession, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Miami and San Diego argue if they are in a depression.

Anyone tells you things are going to change anytime soon are dreaming. The signs are all there for a total economic colapse. Mark my words. What is in store for us is going to make the Great Depression of 1929 look like just a blip on the map.
$hit, I may as well stop paying on my home, save what little money I have and move to Canada.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:55 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massagemamma View Post
Lost 20lbs walking 2 miles to work daily for a year. I was like everyone else 8 years ago, very dependent on my car. It's kind of wierd being the only one I know not being hurt as bad by fuel prices. I almost don't notice the prices at all.
Walking is great. Back in the mid 70s I walked 3 miles to school each way. There was a bus that came to my corner but I would not get on it. I preferred to walk rather then sit on that smoke filled bus. There were no none smoking laws in those days.

But today even if we wanted to walk, it is a more dangerous world out there. Even at night while walking the dog I walk side streets where few if any cars go. Im afraid and I carry, it dont matter because the bad guy will get you first if he wants to.

Good looking females walking? That is crazy in this age of nut cases.

Euro lifestyle cant work here. What are we going to do buy next to our job? In a right to work state like Nevada where they can fire you if your hair develops a curl we would need to be highly mobile....a renter.

Buses? Would you get on one of those things? Ever pull up next to one at a red light? See the shady charactors on that bus especially at night? I would rather walk to work. In my case I have 500 pounds of eqpt with me I need.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:15 AM

Prime Mover I mostly agree with you. I too lived several years in Tidewater and the pay scale is low because all of them military spouses looking for part time work. Regardless it is still a fantastic place to live. And pay ain't much better here.

Are you suggesting the North American Union is the answer to our deep recession? What you said about bush the Dictator "The Decider" not wanting to build the wall and allowing all the illegals to come here could very well be proof solid on his stance with the NAU. Many of us know about the secret talks with Mexico and Canada's Presidents. I dont think it is much of a secret anymore. One form of money like they have now with the Euro over in Europe. No more Canadian and American dollar and no more Mexican Peso. We will have what has already been named the Amero currency good in all 3 countries.

Mexico has untold reserves of oil. And they have few if any environmental laws preventing drilling for oil. Most of the big oil companies have approached Mexico on building refineries but the corruption runs deep in Mexico and nothing has become of it. Of course Mexico is broke but the oil companies are willing to make the capital investment. Every Mexican can be a rich man/woman and never have a need to sneak under fences.

Instead this (not mine) govt does not allow drilling on our shorelines yet as we speak Canada, France, China and Cuba are drilling for oil within eyesight of our shoreline. Those we cant see with our naked eye are slant drilling. Meaning they are way off shore and aiming the drills to our shores. No matter...they are all taking OUR oil. Taking or stealing...you tell me?

Im harping on the oil thing because I believe the price of gas to be the nail that hammers the American economy into a total and complete collapse that can not recover in our lifetimes.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:00 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Walking is great. Back in the mid 70s I walked 3 miles to school each way. There was a bus that came to my corner but I would not get on it. I preferred to walk rather then sit on that smoke filled bus. There were no none smoking laws in those days.

But today even if we wanted to walk, it is a more dangerous world out there. Even at night while walking the dog I walk side streets where few if any cars go. Im afraid and I carry, it dont matter because the bad guy will get you first if he wants to.

Good looking females walking? That is crazy in this age of nut cases.
What leads you to that conclusion? Every number I know of says it is safer today than in the 70s or 60s. I would certainly agree that the paranoia quotient is much higher...but it is, in general, a safer world than back then.

Quote:
Euro lifestyle cant work here. What are we going to do buy next to our job? In a right to work state like Nevada where they can fire you if your hair develops a curl we would need to be highly mobile....a renter.

Buses? Would you get on one of those things? Ever pull up next to one at a red light? See the shady charactors on that bus especially at night? I would rather walk to work. In my case I have 500 pounds of eqpt with me I need.
In the western US a car is pretty close to required. Though most of us could get by with a very compact vehicle or a motor scooter or cycle. That may be the new trend. I already see a vast increase in the number of scooters.

Note that Europe has many disciplines that require a small truck.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
What leads you to that conclusion? Every number I know of says it is safer today than in the 70s or 60s. I would certainly agree that the paranoia quotient is much higher...but it is, in general, a safer world than back then.

In the western US a car is pretty close to required. Though most of us could get by with a very compact vehicle or a motor scooter or cycle. That may be the new trend. I already see a vast increase in the number of scooters.

Note that Europe has many disciplines that require a small truck.
I thougt about this for a moment. Safer today then in the 70s? Yea if your talking NYC, not here. The crime and all those murders in NYC in the days of Ed Koch is legendary.

Is it more dangerous to walk our own streets here today then 1970? Yes I really honestly believe it is. Of course the population difference is a big factor from 70 to now.

Is it more dangerous to walk NYC steets today then it was in 70? Yes it is and their popluation has not changed.

It has become a violent society everywhere.

As for scooters? Would you drive one? I wouldn't. Dont say you would. I can see you now......WHEWWW !! Hey even if you were a skinny young man my point is those damn things are far too dangerous to drive, especially inside of a city of crazies.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:55 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
I thougt about this for a moment. Safer today then in the 70s? Yea if your talking NYC, not here. The crime and all those murders in NYC in the days of Ed Koch is legendary.

Is it more dangerous to walk our own streets here today then 1970? Yes I really honestly believe it is. Of course the population difference is a big factor from 70 to now.

Is it more dangerous to walk NYC steets today then it was in 70? Yes it is and their popluation has not changed.

As for scooters? Would you drive one? I wouldn't. Dont say you would. I can see you now......WHEWWW !! Hey even if you were a skinny young man my point is those damn things are far too dangerous to drive, especially inside of a city of crazies.
What you actually agree is that the paranoia level is higher and you are a practioner. By every measure known there is less crime now than in the 70s. There are less deaths do to guns, and even automobiles. Where are much more concerned about things like child molesters but they still are not a big problem and are almost all ways a family member or friend.

I did mis- state it somewhat. The total crime rate in 2006 is actually lower than 1970 but the violent crime rate is a bit higher. 2006 is about the same as 1975 for violent crime. The 1960s are better than the 2000s.

But the point remains the same. Crime is actually around the same as the 1970s...it is not a whole lot worse.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:01 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
Quote:

I can think of one city that has a high crime past, but is has one of the lowest crime figures for any city over 1 million. Its San Jose, CA. Back in the 60s and 70s, the city was a dump and druggies and hookers would hang out downtown. Its a different world when your the technology capital and everyone has cleaned up the city.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:20 PM
MS1

135 posts, read 357,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
What you actually agree is that the paranoia level is higher and you are a practioner. By every measure known there is less crime now than in the 70s. There are less deaths do to guns, and even automobiles. Where are much more concerned about things like child molesters but they still are not a big problem and are almost all ways a family member or friend.

I did mis- state it somewhat. The total crime rate in 2006 is actually lower than 1970 but the violent crime rate is a bit higher. 2006 is about the same as 1975 for violent crime. The 1960s are better than the 2000s.

But the point remains the same. Crime is actually around the same as the 1970s...it is not a whole lot worse.
While I certainly agree with desertsun that you have to be careful these days, you simply cannot let fear rule your life. When I was last in Vegas a few weeks ago, I purposely took a stroll off of the Strip during the evening hours. Mind you I didn't venture too far away (in case I got lost! lol). Most of the people I encountered were huddled at a bus stop and many didn't look like they had the energy to rob me even if they wanted to. Regardless, common sense rules, and I played it safe and always walked to the rear of the bus stops--just in case.

Other than that, I spoke with one convenience store clerk when I went to get a bottle of water, and he was telling me that the community spirit in Vegas needs to get back to the way it used to be. In my experience, it wasn't so bad all-in-all....

Old 06-30-2008, 05:13 PM

17 posts, read 67,520 times
Basically everyone's freaking out about statistics, which are AVERAGES, rather than keeping a cool head and assessing their own situation.

My roommate's parents visited this past weekend, and while trying to buy a mattress, the store employee decided he'd "be honest with them" and "tell them how it really is." He informed them that Vegas has its highest rate of unemployment EVER (not true) and that his wife was laid off from MGM a month ago along with 3300 other people, and she's been completely unable to find a job. What he failed to mention was whether or not his wife is actively seeking employment (doubtful) as well as the fact that this information pertains mainly to service workers, and not people with college degrees. Basically her parents totally freaked out, and told her they didn't want her moving here--luckily I have secured four interviews this week and that's making them feel a little better, and she's not coming out until August so if my boyfriend and I have good jobs by then I think they'll calm down.

I've applied for five jobs and gotten interviews for four, within a matter of days.... I'm really not trying very hard, but (I'm sure because of my degree) this has seemed almost too easy. So everyone needs to stop panicking because "there's a recession, I shouldn't buy anything!" and start thinking more "wow I can afford this house because it's cheap." This happened during the Depression--everyone said "the banks won't have enough money!" so everyone went to the bank to get their money and guess what happened? The banks ran out of money. Assess your own individual situation, keep ahead of your credit card debt, carpool or stop driving your hummer, don't get ARMs, and calm down. It'll be okay.

As soon as you start acting like there's a recession, you begin to cause one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: