Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 02:57 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,846,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parking View Post
Ladies and Gents,

They are no jobs in Vegas. If by a miracle you find a job, be happy you make $8.00 an hour. Do your research.

If you move here without a job transfer, job offer, you are going to hate yourself.

If you have tons of money and can afford not working, by all means do what ever you want.

Many users on this forum are agents. They tell you everything is terrific in Vegas.

I made this mistake a year ago. I bought a home , moved my family to Vegas, and couldn't find employment for 6 months. It was a hard decision, but I had to relocate my family out of Vegas back to California so I can find work.

Don't make the same mistake I made.
How many threads are you going to start on this subject? You're right though, moving out here (especially purchasing a home) without employment lined up is a pretty dumb move. As I've mentioned in other threads about the same subject, I don't make any money off of people without jobs. People without jobs cannot get mortgages unless they go with a no doc loan, which do not exist anymore (and I've never written those anyway). I suppose going with a no doc was not the brightest move either.

So what happened, the limo gig didn't pan out? Were you holding out for that $80K a year job? Had your sights set on that easy valet money on the strip? I purchased a Sunday paper yesterday and just happened to see quite a few IT jobs, although they were only paying $40K-$60K. The majority of the unemployment in this town right now is due to the downturn in residential construction, and I can tell you from personal experience that most construction workers lead a semi-nomadic existence, moving from hot spot to hot spot.

I do wish you the best of luck back in Cali. I hope you can find gainful employment in a position commensurate with your abilities.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:36 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,439,432 times
I was just told yesterday that Las Vegas is the booming place for jobs. After reading this thread, I am not too sure.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:14 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
I was just told yesterday that Las Vegas is the booming place for jobs. After reading this thread, I am not too sure.
Compared to where? It is certainly a shadow of what it was two years ago...but it still is a lot better than some other places. It is certainly not an easy job market at this point.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:24 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,846,583 times
Quote:
Don't listen to the OP. Do your own research. I have a feeling that he didn't really try that hard to get a job. Why do I say that? Telephone survey takers make $12 an hour, and require zero experience and there are positions open in the valley. There are over 30 IT jobs in town currently, one with UMC and one with Clark County and both likely pay around $45K a year to start. There are numerous cab driver and limo driver positions, which the OP asked about previously.

reviewjournal.com -- Employment

Likie I said, do your own research. Plenty of employment, depending on what YOU bring to the equation.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:06 AM

38 posts, read 138,329 times
We're moving to Vegas next year. My boyfriend is transfering with the company he works with. I was going to try to look before getting there but I've heard from some they won't talk to you till you live there. I'm not picky. I'd work at Walmart till I found something I want!! We're going to make sure we have enough money saved before moving. We're looking at apartments now trying to figure out which ones we want to go look at.

I'm excited about moving there...am I crazy???

Old 07-21-2008, 11:12 AM

91 posts, read 371,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
Don't listen to the OP. Do your own research. I have a feeling that he didn't really try that hard to get a job. Why do I say that? Telephone survey takers make $12 an hour, and require zero experience and there are positions open in the valley. There are over 30 IT jobs in town currently, one with UMC and one with Clark County and both likely pay around $45K a year to start. There are numerous cab driver and limo driver positions, which the OP asked about previously.

reviewjournal.com -- Employment

Likie I said, do your own research. Plenty of employment, depending on what YOU bring to the equation.
You must be some sort of Wizard. According to you it's boom town.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:39 AM

1,309 posts, read 4,190,425 times
I don't think the problem is isolated to Vegas. I was shocked to read OP's post about $8.00/hr jobs there - that's how bad they are here in FL!

DH & I moved to Vegas in '98. Lived there till '06. I don't have a degree, but I never had a problem finding a decent job (last job was as an Admin. Asst., left making almost $20/hr)., and my husband's business (service-related) definitely thrived there.

Good luck to ya.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:44 AM

31 posts, read 72,875 times
Quote:
That must be a realtor. Suck up the 6%.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:22 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
It may not be a great idea to move anywhere without a job lined up, but it appears that the vast majority of people who came here, including me, 2½ times, did it that way and survived very well. A few didn't make it, and they are the one's that everyone holds up as the norm. But the norm is really those who took the risk, and once their necessity levels kicked in they did all right. I don't recommend it for everyone. It is scary, and you might have to compromise on the work and pay, but what else can you do but survive? We're not talking about succumbing, we're talking about how well you survive. And most people in Nevada survive pretty well. Not talking about the really poor people who can't or won't work, but if you are working on the lower income scale you will probably survive better here given the opportunities we have. Take a look at our "ghetto". It looks more like the normal neighborhoods in older communities in other cities. If you want to see poor, go to the south, or to Chicago, New York, Houston... If you compare the amenities that Las Vegas offers compared to most other cities, we do much better than almost anyone. Don't believe it? Leave here for a while and see what all you miss.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:33 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
Quote:
Encore is just starting to take apps for 6,000 jobs. There will most likely be 150,000 apps so it pays to start early and have a plan. And be prepared for possible layoffs a couple of months after the opening which is SOP with new properties. But they won't lay off all 6,000 new employees, only a few hundred, so make sure you are worth keeping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas