Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 04:32 PM

6 posts, read 18,605 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting but I have been lurking for months now.

Here is my story and hopefully you all can give me some advice.

My husband and I moved here in April of this year from Texas. We found a house to rent in the Pueblo village in Summerlin. It is a very nice house, 4 bedroom, 2500 sq feet with a pool for $1750 month. When we went to look at it the owners are the ones who showed it to us. They are an older couple who originally bought the house for their son to rent and he moved out a few months ago so now they are renting it out.

I kind of got a bad feeling in the beginning just because the guy was so invasive into our lives. He wanted 2 months of pay stubs, copies of bank statements, credit reports, references etc. This was not so bad but then he wanted to go over everything on our credit report line by line, he even asked to see our credit card statements for the past month. Not knowing any better, we had not rented a home before, we put up with all this hassle. He even went so far as to offer to sit down with us and come up with a budget to make sure we could pay the rent on time. My husband was ready to walk, but I really wanted the house so I just convinced him to go along with his game.

Well, now it has been 3 months in the house. ( Oh, I forgot to mention, we had to pay 1st, last and $2500 security to move in.) We have paid rent on time every month. The only glitch is that we have paid cash each month on the first, offering to drive it to his house which is in Sun City Summerlin, (five to ten minutes away) but he has always just come by and picked it up. Every time he picks it up he grumbles about what an inconvenience it is to have to come by and pick up the rent and why don't we just pay with electronic check from our bank. We explained to him before we even signed the lease that we prefer to pay cash and to hand deliver it to him each month.

Well, about July 20th he called me and said that things were not working out and that unless we were willing to pay him with electronic check that he would refuse the cash on the first and give us a 5 day notice. We complied with his wishes and had the funds withdrawn from our account on the 25th as suggested by our bank, to reach him by the first. Well, he claimed that the check never arrived, we had to incur a $30 charge from the bank to stop payment and also he is now charging us a $100 late fee because the rent was late.

He also has called us numerous times each day, not leaving a message, I have stopped answering his calls. I really love the house and really thought that we would be happy here. Can a landlord tell you how you have to pay the rent? Can he really refuse cash? I have looked at the landlord tenant statutes for the state of Nevada and I can't find anything that addresses the form that rent is paid in. My husband has suggested we pay him in money orders by certified mail each month because neither of us really wants anything to do with him at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,780 times
Default Landlord

Unless your lease states that only specific types of payment are acceptable, you can pay him any way you want. I think you husband is right-get the money order and mail it certified. Then you have proof of payment in case he should try to give you a 5 day or something. Sounds like a real jerk. Good luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candi1980 View Post
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting but I have been lurking for months now.

My husband and I moved here in April of this year from Texas. We found a house to rent in the Pueblo village in Summerlin. It is a very nice house, 4 bedroom, 2500 sq feet with a pool for $1750 month. When we went to look at it the owners are the ones who showed it to us. They are an older couple who originally bought the house for their son to rent and he moved out a few months ago so now they are renting it out.

I kind of got a bad feeling in the beginning just because the guy was so invasive into our lives. He wanted 2 months of pay stubs, copies of bank statements, credit reports, references etc. This was not so bad but then he wanted to go over everything on our credit report line by line, he even asked to see our credit card statements for the past month. Not knowing any better, we had not rented a home before, we put up with all this hassle. He even went so far as to offer to sit down with us and come up with a budget to make sure we could pay the rent on time. My husband was ready to walk, but I really wanted the house so I just convinced him to go along with his game.

Well, now it has been 3 months in the house. ( Oh, I forgot to mention, we had to pay 1st, last and $2500 security to move in.) We have paid rent on time every month. The only glitch is that we have paid cash each month on the first, offering to drive it to his house which is in Sun City Summerlin, (five to ten minutes away) but he has always just come by and picked it up. Every time he picks it up he grumbles about what an inconvenience it is to have to come by and pick up the rent and why don't we just pay with electronic check from our bank. We explained to him before we even signed the lease that we prefer to pay cash and to hand deliver it to him each month.

Well, about July 20th he called me and said that things were not working out and that unless we were willing to pay him with electronic check that he would refuse the cash on the first and give us a 5 day notice. We complied with his wishes and had the funds withdrawn from our account on the 25th as suggested by our bank, to reach him by the first. Well, he claimed that the check never arrived, we had to incur a $30 charge from the bank to stop payment and also he is now charging us a $100 late fee because the rent was late.

He also has called us numerous times each day, not leaving a message, I have stopped answering his calls. I really love the house and really thought that we would be happy here. Can a landlord tell you how you have to pay the rent? Can he really refuse cash? I have looked at the landlord tenant statutes for the state of Nevada and I can't find anything that addresses the form that rent is paid in. My husband has suggested we pay him in money orders by certified mail each month because neither of us really wants anything to do with him at this point.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:01 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,470,355 times
Quote:

Well to be fair, considering we get so many transients wanting to live here in Las Vegas, this homeowner has a right to be suspicious. He went overboard though. Going over your credit card bills? Working a budget for you? And you and your husband let him do it? Oye vay!

Man, that's a bit too much! I would have walked, no run.. away from this homeowner! There are so many other homes in Summerlin just like it! Obviously, the homeowner is overly cautious...or a control freak..or both. But he's also trying to protect his investment. This type of homeowner, nickel and dime landlord, shouldn't be renting out his house, because NO tenant will ever be good enough to live there and pay rent in his eyes.

OK, now the bank thing. So long as you pay your rent, there's no law that says you can't pay cash, money order, bank check...how ridiculous! Unless it's stipulated in your lease?

If you had the money in your account when you requested the electronic check to be sent, then it was sent electronically from your bank straight into his bank account. You have proof that the electronic check was sent from your bank.

This homeowner sounds a bit unreasonable, and you have everything to lose. Pay the fines from the bank, pay the homeowner every month with a bank check, certified check or you can use money orders. Send the rent certified, return receipt requested..it will cost you $5.32 each month to do this. And for heaven's sake, don't pay it late...allow at least 3-4 days for it to arrive by or on the first of each month.

Good luck with this. Keep in touch, we'd like to know what's going on..

Last edited by MomMom; 08-14-2008 at 05:16 PM..

Old 08-14-2008, 05:15 PM

Thanks for your replies. The way our bank handles electronic check payments for private people, not businesses like the electric company etc., is that they issue a certified check and mail it to the person. The money came out of our account on the day it was mailed, which was the 25th of July. We have a receipt number verifying the transaction. Personally, we think he DID receive the payment, he just wanted to collect an extra $100 from us. That is why we will now send it ourselves certified with return receipt so that he can't pull this again.

I agree that he will probably never find the "perfect" tenants and I was hoping that we could stay here for a few years but now I am afraid that we will have to move in a year when our lease is up.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:20 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,470,355 times
Quote:
Thanks for your replies. The way our bank handles electronic check payments for private people, not businesses like the electric company etc., is that they issue a certified check and mail it to the person. The money came out of our account on the day it was mailed, which was the 25th of July. We have a receipt number verifying the transaction. Personally, we think he DID receive the payment, he just wanted to collect an extra $100 from us. That is why we will now send it ourselves certified with return receipt so that he can't pull this again.

I agree that he will probably never find the "perfect" tenants and I was hoping that we could stay here for a few years but now I am afraid that we will have to move in a year when our lease is up.
I'm surprised your bank couldn't just take the money from your bank and deposit it into his bank, in his account.

He did receive the check candi...please, when your lease is up...as much as you love this home, it's not yours, so leave when you can. Either purchase (prices are good right now and they will be for some time) or find a more reasonable landlord.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:07 PM

23,849 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
I'm surprised your bank couldn't just take the money from your bank and deposit it into his bank, in his account.
They can - it's called a wire transfer. Most banks charge for sending or receiving a wire (around $30 typically). It's usually only done for larger amounts. I don't recommend suggesting this to the landlord as he'll be charged for the incoming wire and I think that'd cause more problems than it solves...

Do what we do - on the 1st (or 30th or whatever), go to your bank and get an official check, then go straight there and drop it off. If he's close, it shouldn't be too inconvenient for you and he'll have his bank check in his hand on time. This is the same result that you'd have by using the online bill payment from your bank, but without the delay and the uncertainty.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:38 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
That landlord sounds like a real waste of human flesh. Walk away. You are overpaying for your rental. Rentals are a dime a dozen right now and even rentals are coming down in price. There are about 10,000 vacant active and availables in the MLS right now. Many of them, although listed for sale, would love to rent to you without prying into your personal lives asking everything short of when you had sex last.

Your security deposit is too high too. In looking around I see the required security deposits have come way down due to competition. Im seeing $500 gets you in. No first and last, none of that anymore.

That landlord seems to think he is a real bank. You should stick it to him like everyone else is doing to real banks now. It's an eye for an eye out there.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:10 PM

152 posts, read 638,837 times
You will live under the precise amount of tyranny you will tolerate.

He wanted to make a budget for you? Complete control freak psycho in my opinion.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveinPA View Post
You will live under the precise amount of tyranny you will tolerate.

He wanted to make a budget for you? Complete control freak psycho in my opinion.

I understand what you are saying, however, we are stuck here for at least the remainder of our lease. I just want to try and make the rest of our time here as peaceful as possible. If he really can't dictate how the rent is paid then that part of our problem is solved. We will pay with certified funds by certified mail.

The other thing he does is drive by a lot. He doesn't actually stop, but I have seen him a few times when I am either pulling in or out or getting the mail. We are in a community, not on a common road, so he has to make a conscious choice to come down our street. My husband and I weren't sure if this was a normal thing for landlords out here to do. We have heard of people abandoning houses and trashing them and we thought at first that he was just making sure his house was being taken care of. After almost 4 months you would think he would relax a little.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:01 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
I understand what you are saying, however, we are stuck here for at least the remainder of our lease. I just want to try and make the rest of our time here as peaceful as possible. If he really can't dictate how the rent is paid then that part of our problem is solved. We will pay with certified funds by certified mail.

The other thing he does is drive by a lot. He doesn't actually stop, but I have seen him a few times when I am either pulling in or out or getting the mail. We are in a community, not on a common road, so he has to make a conscious choice to come down our street. My husband and I weren't sure if this was a normal thing for landlords out here to do. We have heard of people abandoning houses and trashing them and we thought at first that he was just making sure his house was being taken care of. After almost 4 months you would think he would relax a little.
I bet you a few tanks of gas he is coming into your home when your not home. You described the perfect nut case who operates like that. He is not allowed to enter your home without your permission. He can if he asks according to most leases.

Who ever called him a control freak is right on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas