Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 10:20 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,245,233 times

Advertisements

We've been there (Vegas) twice, but have never thought about moving there until recently...we currently live in SE Florida (too expensive)...

I have some questions (and I know this board has great info).

1. My son has mild asthma (is this a bad area for asthma sufferers)?

2. How much is your car insurance for 2 cars (lets say a 2004 Caravan and a 2008 Altima - we currently pay $200 per month for both vehicles)?

3. What is home owners insurance like (for a home that is 2500 sq ft, built in the 2000's - it's about $5,000 pre year here)?

4. What are your home property taxes (ours are 2% the price of your home)?

5. Do you have Personal Property taxes there (we don't, but I know some states on the East coast do)?

6. What is the average home (currently) price, in a SAFE neighborhood, with good schools, newer home, 4 bedrooms, with a yard (where we live it's about $350k)?

7. Which subdivisions are great ones to live in?

8. Is this area child-friendly (beyond the "strip" of course)? Parks? Recreation? etc.

9. How's the health industry (my husbands a Physicians Asst.)?

Thanks SO much!

Alyssa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 11:27 AM

307 posts, read 1,223,091 times
1. No asthma problems here (as far as I know)
2. You'd probably pay about $800 for 6 months for two vehicles (depends on what policy you pick) I have a 2003 Honda Accord 4 doors, two adults, never tickets, never accidents, and good drivers. We pay $640 for 6 months.
3. My homeowners insurance is $1,100 for 1,311 sq ft built in 1982.
4. property taxes $1,100, 0.11 acre
5. zero.
6. Average home price is around 190-200's
7. Southwest LV - avoid Southeast LV where they have alot of crimes(that's what the police told me). You need to contact Las Vegas Police STation and ask them.
8. There are plenty of parks and receation for your kids. Desert Breeze is an excellent for your kids. They have water parks. VEry nice.
9. Excellent. we need more doctors here (inculding P.A.)
Taxes - Las Vegas - Nevada

Old 02-23-2008, 11:53 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
We've been there (Vegas) twice, but have never thought about moving there until recently...we currently live in SE Florida (too expensive)...

I have some questions (and I know this board has great info).

1. My son has mild asthma (is this a bad area for asthma sufferers)?
Varies...Mulberry and Olive trees are outlawed but still common. The desert itself is dusty but not pollen rich. It depends on what sensitiivities are involved.

Quote:
2. How much is your car insurance for 2 cars (lets say a 2004 Caravan and a 2008 Altima - we currently pay $200 per month for both vehicles)?
I pay 1800 for two...a new Avalon and an old truck.

Quote:
3. What is home owners insurance like (for a home that is 2500 sq ft, built in the 2000's - it's about $5,000 pre year here)?
About 20% of your rate.

Quote:
4. What are your home property taxes (ours are 2% the price of your home)?
Around 3/4 of one percent on an existing house. 1% on a new one.

Quote:
5. Do you have Personal Property taxes there (we don't, but I know some states on the East coast do)?
Yes...same rate as real estate.

Quote:
6. What is the average home (currently) price, in a SAFE neighborhood, with good schools, newer home, 4 bedrooms, with a yard (where we live it's about $350k)?
Around the same. Somewhat less in the areas with heavy foreclosure activity.

Quote:
7. Which subdivisions are great ones to live in?
There are dozens. Summerlin and Henderson are popular ans is the south, SW and NW.

Quote:
8. Is this area child-friendly (beyond the "strip" of course)? Parks? Recreation? etc.
Yup. Reasonable selection of parks etc.

Quote:
9. How's the health industry (my husbands a Physicians Asst.)?
Very good generally...

Quote:
Thanks SO much!

Alyssa

Old 02-23-2008, 04:11 PM

66 posts, read 327,046 times
My homeowner's insurance is $440/yr for a new 2300 sqft. Have 2 investment properties around $380/yr, I am surprised others are paying so much more, I assume you package your home insurance with your auto etc.
I have two cars; 01' Ford Astrovan, and 03' Hyundai... total is $170/mo so your desire to not pay more than $200/mo is easily attainable. Fwiw crime rates must make a huge difference on the auto costs, my insurance dropped almost $300 per 6 months after moving from 89139 to 89178.
You'll probably like the SE, great reputation for breeder living. I think the previous poster who mentioned a cop said something about avoiding the SE must have been referencing the near SE by the airport... those you can tell right away to avoid by the rusted gates on everyone's house, so just use common sense of course, farther south into Henderson couldn't be nicer. I personally like the SW too, and don't much favor the NW on account of the drive times to Strip, airport, etc.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:33 PM

560 posts, read 2,188,101 times
I have 2 children with asthma and when we first moved here they were symptom free until our first winter. They both had a total relapse, back on all their meds. Once things got under control we slowly removed the meds one at a time to see if they could get by with less meds. We will be here 2 years in June and my oldest has managed to get down to just Advair, Singulair and Zyrtec with her "rescue inhaler" used only occasionally and my youngest has managed to completely get off inhalers and just uses Zyrtec and Singulair. I would imagine that your child will have a similar adjustment period. There are days that the dust is very high and those tend to be the days my oldest needs her Maxair, especially if she is playing a soccer game or is outside a lot. We came from Michigan and I think both their symptoms were a lot worse there with all the grass mowing and blooming trees in the spring. I used to have horrible allergies every spring and since moving here they have about disappeared. The only time I ever have any sinus trouble, other than when I have a cold, is when we have to go out to the Silver Bowl for games and I think that's because of all the grass.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:51 PM

34 posts, read 132,389 times
My asthma is horrible here. I think it just depends some do fine and others do not.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:06 PM

59 posts, read 261,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD Hawaii View Post
6. Average home price is around 190-200's
I don't believe this is accurate based on the OPs question. Safe area, good schools, yard, and 4 bed won't be found for 190-200.

Yards are few and far between. Most "yards" here are little boxes of rocks or barely alive grass.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:51 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrasco LaFonz View Post
My homeowner's insurance is $440/yr for a new 2300 sqft. Have 2 investment properties around $380/yr, I am surprised others are paying so much more, I assume you package your home insurance with your auto etc.
I have two cars; 01' Ford Astrovan, and 03' Hyundai... total is $170/mo so your desire to not pay more than $200/mo is easily attainable. Fwiw crime rates must make a huge difference on the auto costs, my insurance dropped almost $300 per 6 months after moving from 89139 to 89178.
You'll probably like the SE, great reputation for breeder living. I think the previous poster who mentioned a cop said something about avoiding the SE must have been referencing the near SE by the airport... those you can tell right away to avoid by the rusted gates on everyone's house, so just use common sense of course, farther south into Henderson couldn't be nicer. I personally like the SW too, and don't much favor the NW on account of the drive times to Strip, airport, etc.
Same here. I heard $1100 a year for an 1100 sq ft house and I couldn't believe it. My hazard insurance on a 1900 sq ft built in '02 with .17 acres is around $40 a month. My car insurance is about $350 for 3 cars. They are all with the same company.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:42 PM

8 posts, read 16,269 times
Try Boulder City. 20 min away from Vegas, but no gambling, kid friendly, no smog, very little crime, 15k people, great schools. A little more expensive, but well worth it!

Old 08-31-2008, 08:08 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,687,180 times
and what is there really to do there?
they don't have movies, they don't have bowling (correct me i'm wrong), they don't have skating, please tell me how are they kid friendly? what makes a kid friendly community?

and you have the choice of 2 supermarkets and 1 full service pharmacy...

they may not have all the services you need and you may not want to drive to henderson for everything, and henderson doesn't even have everything, you might have to drive into vegas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas