Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 08:08 PM

101 posts, read 314,767 times

Advertisements

So I will be moving pretty soon for my job. Im being relocated from Sacramento to fabulous Las Vegas. I was hoping to get some advice on locations to live as well as anything anyone feels like mentioning.

A little info...

It will be just me and my gf, 25 and 24, no kids, and I would like to be near the strip preferably in a high rise maybe. If anyone has experience living in them or any advice on which are good which are bad and what not that would be the most relevant to my interests.

Ive been looking at Country Club Towers, I havent seen much bad said about them the price is about the max I would be looking to pay. Any word on those or a possible alternative?

Edit: What should I expect for electricity bills both summer and other seasons? For 1-2 bedroom residences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 03:31 PM

Bump?

Old 10-25-2008, 08:17 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Country Club Towers is in Las Vegas and is near the strip. Gets reasonable ratings on aptratings. It has a wide price range. I suspect over 2X as you go up in height.

You have made no mention of how much space or how much money or whatever.

Note that it is close but not on the strip.

Note that this town is not high rise oriented as far as the locals are concerned. Mostly tourists stay in high rises.

It is possible to rent a place in various high rises that are not apartments and will likely be quite nice.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:36 PM

494 posts, read 1,897,976 times
In general, Las Vegas residents don't live on the strip. It's a traffic nightmare & the novelty wears off quickly. You'll also find that most residents don't frequent the strip too often.

In general, the areas around the strip are not the safest. It might be best to take a trip down here and drive around. Before I moved to Vegas, I rented a car and just drove around (all day). I then used this forum (and other sources) to research the areas I liked. Helped considerably.

The electricity/gas bill question has been answered a few times. I just moved here a couple of months ago, so I don't have historical data to help you with. My home is also new construction and Energy Star efficient, so I would expect my gas/electric bill to be lower than average.

There have been a lot of threads about good areas to live in. It will also depend on where you are working and what type of commute you are willing to tolerate. I am single (early 30's) and live in Aliante (in North Las Vegas). I was looking for somewhere quiet and more of a "neighborhood." I am out of town 3 weeks per month, so I don't think I can offer the best advice where singles should live.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:26 AM

Thanks for the replies.

To elaborate a bit more, I would prefer a 2bd and >1200. Ive started to lean away from the Country Club Towers as I have seen some, In my opinion better properties for less. As well as the prices on the high rises is a little ridiculous to be honest. I will be traveling alot for work so the traffic isnt really a huge concern since when Im home thats where I will wanna be. At home. I would like something near the strip though, mainly for when friends/family visit.

I will be in town for a week about a month before the move to check out places, so Ill definitely get a good look around before I make any decisions. I just wanted some tips as far as areas near the strip to not waste my time and places that could be worth researching apartments/condos/houses.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:39 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,688,069 times
if you want to be close to a strip in a safe area that has a lot of what you're looking for, check out South Strip, Las Vegas Blvd south of Warm Springs, at LVBS/Agate (between Pebble and Silverado Ranch), you have Manhattan, Park Avenue, and Boca Raton...or if you want you can wait for One Las Vegas or Loft5 to open as well...

Old 10-26-2008, 02:00 AM

Thats good to hear, theres quite a few spots actually right in that area that I have on my list of places to check out. I am happy to hear that those are good locations. Last time I was in Vegas I stayed at the Silverton and remember thinking that area looked ok.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:11 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,688,069 times
the area has changed in terms of infrastructure, the Silverton is expanding, there is a new mall with a Whole Foods and Borders, H&M, movie theaters, etc., and a shopping center with a Target, Kohl's, and other shopping...

Old 10-27-2008, 07:27 AM

4 posts, read 8,087 times
You can get a really great deal in the Park Avenue Condos (they are nicer than the Manhattan condos), but only if you are paying cash. They have some litigation going on there against the developer and you can't get financing on them at the moment. Park Avenue, Manhattan and Boca Raton are all 4 story midrise properties. If you want true high rise, there are some foreclosure deals in both Panorama and Allure, but it depends on how much you want to spend.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:27 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasHomes View Post
You can get a really great deal in the Park Avenue Condos (they are nicer than the Manhattan condos), but only if you are paying cash. They have some litigation going on there against the developer and you can't get financing on them at the moment. Park Avenue, Manhattan and Boca Raton are all 4 story midrise properties. If you want true high rise, there are some foreclosure deals in both Panorama and Allure, but it depends on how much you want to spend.

Rental...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas