Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 09:47 AM

52 posts, read 200,210 times

Advertisements

Ok we have a fake tree that we used in Michigan (too many freezing cold trips going to cut one down, we caved)

However it's TOO TALL for our rental home that does not have the high ceilings. So we have to go real tree this year and buy a house with higher ceilings before next Christmas

WHAT do you guys do here?? I know they don't grow here. Do they ship them in? Do you just buy them at the stands on the side of the road? What advice can you offer me?

My husband INSISTS it's too soon and if we get one now it won't make it till Christmas. I INSIST if we wait much longer it's going to be impossible to find something nice. I want to go this weekend to pick one out, we're discussing it at the moment

What do you guys do about Christmas trees out here and how do you keep them alive the longest and where do you get the freshest trees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 11:05 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavinMI View Post
Ok we have a fake tree that we used in Michigan (too many freezing cold trips going to cut one down, we caved)

However it's TOO TALL for our rental home that does not have the high ceilings. So we have to go real tree this year and buy a house with higher ceilings before next Christmas

WHAT do you guys do here?? I know they don't grow here. Do they ship them in? Do you just buy them at the stands on the side of the road? What advice can you offer me?

My husband INSISTS it's too soon and if we get one now it won't make it till Christmas. I INSIST if we wait much longer it's going to be impossible to find something nice. I want to go this weekend to pick one out, we're discussing it at the moment

What do you guys do about Christmas trees out here and how do you keep them alive the longest and where do you get the freshest trees?
Our real trees are shipped in, mostly from Oregon, but I've also seen them from Montana, Wyoming, Utah, or Idaho. You can get a permit from the Forest Service and go out and cut your own in the mountains way north of here, like around Caliente or Ely (but never cut one at Mt. Charleston). It's a great experience once or twice for a family, but it's way too much trouble and way more expensive. There was a thread about it here somewhere.

If you wait or don't wait it won't make much difference. The trees you get now or the trees you get later have already been cut and are filling up Christmas Tree lots all over town as we speak. Since they are usually all groomed to have perfect shapes you won't miss out on the perfect tree if you want to wait. The important thing is to make sure you get a stand that holds water and keep it filled. You might want to look for one that has a filler that is easy to get to. And be sure you cut a short piece off of the end of the trunk just before you put it in the stand, otherwise it will not draw up any water. A cut tree continues to drink enormous amounts of water. They will do it for you at the lot but you'll need to take it right home and put it in the stand with water.

I've never had a real tree not dry out and drop needles all over my house even when giving it water. So don't worry about it. Just pick one you like whenever you're ready to put it up, and have a Merry Christmas. Then after Christmas be sure to drop it off at one of the many locations around town that take them to be used as mulch at The Springs Preserve. Some may even end up as fish habitat at the bottom of Lake Mead.

You're buying a house to fit the tree??? Hmmmmm.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:12 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,665,720 times
We haven't had a tree since my grandmother passed away in 2000. Christmas hasn't been the same since then. I'm not going to have one this year either. No money, my mother passed away, and other things. Besides, my dogs would probably knock it over.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:24 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Default Cut your own Christmas Trees

A couple of RJ articles on cutting your own, and how to take care of it.

ReviewJournal.com - Living - TRIP OF THE WEEK: Enjoy an old holiday tradition by cutting your own Christmas tree

ReviewJournal.com - Home & Garden - Proper care keeps tree healthy, home safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas