Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 07:26 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I just want to wish you all here in the Las Vegas forum a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! 2010 has been the most amazing year of my life so far and Im glad I got to share it with you all, and the best is yet to come, I turn 21 next Thursday . I look to 2011 with a renewed sense of optimism and I know things are going to continue to improve for the better, regardless of what state our economy may be in; I know my life is going to be great in the coming year and I hope it is for all of you as well

Merry Christmas Las Vegas
Same to you Davie!!! I love your energy and personality and optimistic outlook on life! I think 2011 is going to be a good one for you.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:22 PM

136 posts, read 276,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
I certainly don't mean to minimize the snow out there now, but that's nothin'. I remember my younger years (about 20 years ago) when we got 30 inches (!) of snow on Halloween in Minnesota. It was warm when it first started falling, so about 4-6 inches of it turned into ice at the bottom ... then the rest of the snow insulated it. Made it impossible to clear with snowplows, as basically it formed the equivalent of 'potholes' in the thick ice. So many cars got screwed up that winter, I'm sure car mechanics made a ton of money repairing suspensions & what-not. We got a lot more snow & it was screwed up all winter.

All that said, yeah that's still a good chunk of snow. My sister said they had two significant snowfalls before this past one, so there's quite a bit of buildup. My niece & (especially) nephew love playing in it; my nephew's trying to build snow tunnels & forts. My sister told him that's what we used to do when we were really young & the snow got really deep. I hope he has a blast.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy the veritable heat wave here.
It is definitely a smaller snowstorm that the Halloween storm of 1991! I, too, remember that storm quite well, as I was driving home (south of the Twin Cities about 30 miles) from my job in W. St. Paul during that storm. I was driving by "feel" as I couldn't see anything. My wipers were so caked up with snow that I drove with the window down much of the way and when I would "feel" myself going in the ditch, I'd just veer back the other way. That was something else! My normal 30 minute commute took 2.5 hours that day. Not something I ever want to repeat!

We did just get a foot of snow the week before this, so in essence we do have about 30" or so on the ground now, quite a lot for December! The snowmobilers are loving it!

Old 12-15-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Thank you for posting this picture. I am SO glad to be here and not there. I can remember how hard it was to shovel when the snowbanks get to over the shoulder height. Man, am I thrilled to have left MN!
You're welcome! I'm glad I could help solidify your reasons for moving!

I never really minded the snow much, but now that I have younger children, all the snowpants, boots and such are much more of a pain than I thought it would be!

Old 12-15-2010, 08:32 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,318,530 times
Merry Christmas to you Davie and a Happy Birthday wish in advance. Wow, you just barely made it before Christmas, didn't you? We both have a lot of common things; you came out in May, I came out in August. We both always knew we wanted to move to the West. We both have Altima's, you got hit right after arriving, so did I. And I could never go back to where I came from and I don't think you could either. Like MomMom said earlier in another post, one can get cold when it's 40 or 50 now and that's me. Can't believe a year ago I was shoveling crappy snow in sub-zero weather, holed up in a house waiting till winter passed seeing nothing but flat barren land and endless grey days and when I did get out, there was nothing to do. Here the possibilities are endless...........

Old 12-15-2010, 08:56 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,492,235 times
mntonv...I forget, sorry...what was the impetus for your move to LV again?

Old 12-15-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
mntonv...I forget, sorry...what was the impetus for your move to LV again?
Husband's job. The corp office is here in MN, but they needed a GM at the Vegas office. He's in the trade show industry. That is why we lived there once before, moved back. Then he was laid off last year for nine months and then they called asking him to go to Vegas again. In a nut shell... really, there's a lot more to the story than that, but I won't bore you!

He's been commuting since Sept. We just rented a 1 br condo for him for six months and the rest of us will move after the school year ends and after we figure out what we're doing with our home here.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:41 PM

787 posts, read 1,776,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
Merry Christmas to you Davie and a Happy Birthday wish in advance. Wow, you just barely made it before Christmas, didn't you? We both have a lot of common things; you came out in May, I came out in August. We both always knew we wanted to move to the West. We both have Altima's, you got hit right after arriving, so did I. And I could never go back to where I came from and I don't think you could either. Like MomMom said earlier in another post, one can get cold when it's 40 or 50 now and that's me. Can't believe a year ago I was shoveling crappy snow in sub-zero weather, holed up in a house waiting till winter passed seeing nothing but flat barren land and endless grey days and when I did get out, there was nothing to do. Here the possibilities are endless...........

I moved out in October, have an Altima, and am also loving Vegas so far. :-)

Old 12-15-2010, 11:10 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
That inviting summer photo of your house in Minneapolis.

I have xray eyes. I can see the mosquito's, gnats and woodticks!

I lived in Minneapolis during that Halloween snowstorm, lived near Elliot Park in a condo, and I remember the sounds of buzzing snowmobiles on the streets of downtown Minneapolis that night!

Yes, there was a layer of ice under that snow, that time, which made it so difficult to remove from the streets.

But I will always miss a good paralyzing snowstorm. Unfortunately, that winter, no other big snowstorms followed.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:51 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,492,443 times
Aren't these people known as...umm...groupies? Big-hair bands in the 80's and the girls that move them!

Old 12-15-2010, 11:59 PM

18 posts, read 39,145 times
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could answer my question...

I am a brand new teacher who has just completed student teaching.

I teach social studies and english/language arts and I have a phone interview with Clark County School District next week. I have a good application and solid references. Anyone know what the chances are of me landing a job teaching in Vegas right now, and if so, if it would be more likely to be for January or August?

Right now seems like an odd time to be interviewing people, but they are indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas