Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 03:13 AM

2 posts, read 73,889 times

Advertisements

Hello all, and thank goodness I stumbled across this site, for I was hoping to get some free advice from those of you living in Nevada and familiar with Nevada State Law.

My name is Julie, a British National, and back in UK. So if it is not too much trouble, could I tell you what has happened to me and ask for any advice please????

Ok, last year I married my fiance of 4 years in Las Vegas. I have now found out that he was never divorced from his other wife and indeed still has a marital home with her. I never knew - he is a shift worker who works away a lot and had no reason not to trust him. Though yes, how stupid am I !!!!!!!!!! Still beating myself up about it....... and still very upset over this deceit and betrayal.

Anyway, having trawled through the net I realise I can get an annulment under grounds of bigamy from Clark County. I have also found out that bigamy is classed as a Felony Class D. My question to you guys out there is, if I proceed with annulment, will an arrest warrant be put out for my so-called 'husband'?????

This man is also a UK national and though we no longer live together, know where his other house is.

Having gone through UK sites concerning bigamy, unfortunately the consensus of opinion is that the British police have a very slack attitude to this crime - and it is a crime with devasting effects - so have no idea what to do.

I note from my research that I will have to provide an address for him for the annulment papers to be served - but how can I do that? It is his marital home!!!!! ( she has no idea, is very ill and couldn't possibly tell her, since none of this is her fault)

I am, however, exceedingly upset over what this man has done ( taking money before going and generally deceiving me for the whole 4 years - Christmases alone, I now know why! Never letting me meet his family, insisting we married in Vegas.....

Great place by the way: nice people! Wonderfully clean toilets/restrooms - though could have almost got arrested myself according to a taxi driver for having fed some beggers I came across - sorry about that, didn't know it was a felony to fed these poor people!!! Just when you see a fellow human starving and with scabs all over him, well, I just felt I had to give him my food and some money, espcially in a city of such excess. I am a softy - obviously! Too soft, in fact!

Back to my point though, if I get marriage annulled on grounds of his bigamy, will an arrest warrant be automatically served on him? And would such a thing only be valid in Nevada State? And for how long???

I know he visits Florida every two years: it would make my day if one day he turned up at airport only to be arrested!!!! It would be a long wait- another 2 years - but if you only knew the pain, hurt and financial disaster this man has caused me, you would understand why I need him to face up to what he has done, both to me and to his other wife. He needs this punishment as a deterent to doing it to any other woman - once a bigamist, you see, always a bigamist, according to the bigamy sites!!!!

He even has Power of Attorney over her, since she is ill with a progressive illness, and could even be abusing this trust put in him reagrding her financial affairs, for all I know. I feel very sorry for her - I feel sorry for myself too, having met, fallen in love with, and married this chap - I was a first time bride at the old age of 45, so you can imagine how much I loved him. But feel even more sorry for that poor woman. So I have to protect her and keep her out of it.

To protect both the other wife's interests, and my own - he still has keys to my house he won't return and has threatened me with violence if I ever tell his other wife (which I wouldn't anyway, out of respect for her) I have to do something drastic.....

Have tried to sell my house and just move since I found out, to put myself out of harms way, but UK housing market, is, as in the US, in the doldrums and nothing is selling.

Anyway, look, I am chattering on about nothing now!!!!! Sorry! Just if anyone out there can tell me the name of a cheap lawyer who can get me an annulment - since I changed all my formal ID over to his name and can't change it back without it - I would be very appreciative.

Warrants for arrest for what would be a Felony Class D? Does anyone know if one issued in Nevada gets to go on the NCIC ( see, done lots of research today!!!!! LOL!) or even better, can anyone tell me if records are held at airports for those warrants out on Foreign Nationals? I would like to think that if he goes back to Florida in two years for his visit, he would be chucked in prison and charged!

Out of harms way, and it would protect other women out there he might target - and this is what men like this do, 'target' women who are stupid, got a bit of money, on their own....

Would be very grateful indeed for any sort of feedback.

Thanks for reading, guys.

Last edited by splh27; 07-28-2008 at 03:27 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-28-2008, 05:58 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
That 'shift' worker sounds like a 'shifty' worker! Good luck with this mess.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:33 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
I didn't know that you had to tell the courts anything specific about the reason unless you wanted to. I mean can't you just say irreconcilable differences?

Old 07-28-2008, 01:41 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
my understanding is that YOU have no recourse as far as criminal charges...those have to be filed by wife #1 since that is who the bigamy was committed against....you have [in effect] a non-existant marriage

Old 07-28-2008, 04:35 PM

163 posts, read 374,861 times
Consider yourself lucky, and move on. Forget the jerk. Life's too short to hold on to bad expiriences. GL

Old 07-28-2008, 05:16 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Note as well that no US prosecutor is going to touch a case between to non-nationals who live abroad. NV is far more conservative on such an issue than most states.

The chance of it happening is between zilch and nada.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:20 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times
OH my goodness, what a mess! Good luck to you

Old 07-28-2008, 06:18 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
The simple answer is to get yourself a solicitor, which I believe is your term for lawyer, in England and let him take care of it. Unless there are lawyers on this forum you won't get any decent answers to a legal problem. I suppose you could write to the Clark County District Attorney and ask, but that's what lawyers are for. Nobody is going to just take your word for it. You need proof.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:55 PM

201 posts, read 656,101 times
you can go the nevada state bar website, (google it), and find a family law attorney. Give them a call and/or email them your situation...You need someone who can represent you where the crime occured! (no sense in paying for your lawyer to fly to the us unless you charge him for attorney's fees as well). Good luck to you!

Old 07-28-2008, 10:36 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Fog is really just a thicker, bigger mist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas