Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 08:40 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
If you were really bored sometime, you could use the old string on a dollar bill trick. You get a thread type string and tie it to the money, and each time they try to pick it up, you pull it away. Someone actually did this in a parking lot with a $20 once. I tried to pick it up a few times, then stepped on it and snagged it. The tricksters were not happy once they yanked their string back with nothing on the end.
In Latin America they use this as a ploy to get you to bend down, while there's an unknown contingent of people nearby, smirking!

Just as you stoop down, they push you to the pavement, take your purse or wallet, and laugh all the way to the liquor store!

Old 06-06-2011, 01:09 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
lvd-what kind of car did you buy, then?

Old 06-06-2011, 02:05 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
lvd-what kind of car did you buy, then?
Subaru : Legacy | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150607685511&viewitem= &sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT - broken link)

Old 06-06-2011, 02:44 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
In Latin America they use this as a ploy to get you to bend down, while there's an unknown contingent of people nearby, smirking!

Just as you stoop down, they push you to the pavement, take your purse or wallet, and laugh all the way to the liquor store!
They'd be SOL if they got a hold of my purse with no money in it.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 AM

222 posts, read 385,336 times
Flew out of McCarran last weekend for the first time in a few months and was surprised to see that one of the glassed-in former smoking areas in the D gates was, once again, a smoking area (and a pretty popular one, at that).

Old 06-06-2011, 12:35 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKLAS View Post
Flew out of McCarran last weekend for the first time in a few months and was surprised to see that one of the glassed-in former smoking areas in the D gates was, once again, a smoking area (and a pretty popular one, at that).

With slots? I know the one they had before was just sick smelling, but always full of people playing.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:10 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
With slots? I know the one they had before was just sick smelling, but always full of people playing.
That's why I could never allow smoking in my house. Cig smoke just permeates everything.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:40 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,724,207 times
Before I become a permanent Monday fixture at Lola’s. Is there any other place in town that does beans and rice proper NOLA style in the valley?

Old 06-06-2011, 10:45 PM

369 posts, read 772,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I get frustrated with the beggars here in Las Vegas because they are like salesmen in the sense that they are relentless.

I was at a self serve car wash on Trop and Pecos yesterday and was asked 3 seperate times for money. I used my last $2 yesterday to wash my car and he has the nerve to ask 3 TIMES for money after I told him the first time I didnt have any

And another occasion about a month ago, I was on Fremont Street, I had just left the McDonald's inside the Fitz, and a homeless man asked me for $1 so he could eat. I gave him one of my double cheeseburgers I had bought, I took it out of the bag and gave it to him, and walked away. He then proceded to shout "I ASKED FOR A DOLLAR YOU EFFING DUMB ASS" and threw the double cheeseburger at me.

The last time I EVER help a homeless person

Another reason why I have less compassion for those who are poor....I was homeless multiple times growing up, and even twice after I graduated high school, and nobody gave a crap about me. Those people made me work my way out of it. If thats how its going to be....fine. The poor whether they are legit or not will get no help from me. Sorry if this sounds a little too harsh for some of you, I truly am a nice guy, but my kindness has been taken advantage of too many times lately
I used to be a lot more forgiving of the homeless till an incident in an ER here. I was working in said ER and we had a homeless patient get brought in drunk and claiming stomach pain.

The guy starts demanding food (remember he's signed in for stomach pain meaning nothing by mouth till he's proved non surgical). When denied he starts threatening how he's coming to my home to rape my wife, he's going to get a knife and cut me etc. He ran without being seen by the doc when security showed up.

The very next day in the parking lot of a K mart here's this same ummm individual begging in a parking lot. He was being awful meek and mild, head down and shuffling, talking about being disabled ad has trouble walking. So I look at this and ask " Hey! Don't you remember me from the ER yesterday? You were going to cut me and rape my wife! No rules today, bring it."

Dirtbag turned and ran away. So much for being disabled.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:21 AM

654 posts, read 1,323,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
Before I become a permanent Monday fixture at Lola’s. Is there any other place in town that does beans and rice proper NOLA style in the valley?
Yeah, our kitchen when my girlfriend feels like cooking in her native Cajun style.

Right now, we've got a killer batch of Gumbo in the fridge. Last week was Jambalaya & the week before that Red Beans and Rice. Maybe I'll talk her into another batch of Red Beans and Rice soon for the forum people.

Addressing your question, Lola's is the closest we've found. My girlfriend went last week for a meetup for Louisiana natives (I stopped by) & they seemed to have most stuff right. One guy had a Po-Boy & said it was only 'so-so', the other stuff certainly looked better. If the one he had was any indication, we probably make better ones at home. After I had one (Po-Boy) from Bon Creole in New Iberia, pretty much anything's gonna pale by comparison.

Lola's is more expensive than I expected, but overall seems like a good place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas