Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 7,281 times

Advertisements

Hello, my name is Chris and I'm looking for some answers about expected utility costs.

I'm looking to rent a house. I'm 22 and having my first child, and I don't want to do so in an apartment. Plus I've just been looking at finding a house to rent in general. My lease is up next month and I've got to give 30 days notice if I plan on not renewing it, so it's decision time.

I'm trying to find out some basic info to help me with my decision.

I've been told my power bill will skyrocket in a house as opposed to an apartment. My bill tops out at 100 currently, and usually hovers around 70-80, how high can I expect that to go in a house? Is 200-300 (what my sister told me) possible?

How much would bills I'm currently not paying run me? I only pay power and rent now, so I'm looking at taking on gas, water, and sewer, correct?

I make about 2400 a month gross, so I'm trying to budget for 2,000 a month. That doesn't include tips (about 50 a week) and what my girlfriend makes (200-400 a check) as I like to forecast for the minimum of what I expect to have. Is it feasible to find a home in a decent location (I'm trying to find something in the northwest/north las vegas area, close to family) for, let's say, 1300 a month total for rent + utilities?

Any answers/advice will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 12:13 PM

233 posts, read 497,946 times
Our electric bill actually went down after moving into a house. Granted the apartments we were in were older and the house has all energy star stuff.

I'm sure $200-$300 is possible, depending on what you keep your a/c temp at. We live in a two story, 1500sqft, 3b and our highest bill this past summer was right around $130. We keep our air on 82 during the day and drop it down to around 79 at night. I have four kids, but no cable so tv isn't always running, but something is lol.

Sewer I believe is around $19 a month
Water usually runs us around $25 ( have a small yard I need to water)
Trash is around $40 for 3mo
Our highest gas bill was around $48, but that is with the heat on 63.

I like you was terrified of the electric bill moving from an apartment to a house, especially after hearing all the high dollar electric bill horror stories.

We are in the 89143 area due to work and it's a nice quiet area. We pay $925 for rent. Good luck to you ! Hope my rambling has helped you some! ;oP

Old 01-27-2012, 12:16 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
There are MANY variables on what your electric bill will be. Size of house, thermostat settings, use of ceiling fans, amount of insulation, orientation of house, exposure of windows, airtightness of windows and doors (that can be a big one) You may find that getting on a managed payment plan where you pay the same each month will help you budget.

You may or may not have a gas bill, depending on whether you have any gas service to the home you find. Heating costs are more manageable for most people because it doesn't get that cold here, but if you like it really warm in your house, and it's not airtight or well insulated, those bills will be unnecessarily high, too.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:51 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,536,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk702 View Post
Hello, my name is Chris

My bill tops out at 100 currently, and usually hovers around 70-80, how high can I expect that to go in a house? Is 200-300 (what my sister told me) possible?
Yes... completely plausible unfortunately

Old 01-27-2012, 01:27 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
In order to get those bills down, you'd need to make a few thousand dollars worth of efficiency-boosting upgrades, and that only makes sense if you own the house.

I'd budget far less per month. That baby is going to wreck your budget. You're budgeting almost two thirds of income to housing. That isn't going to work.

If it were me, I'd do everything possible to find a nice $80,000 house somewhere and buy it. You will spend MUCH LESS than rent, you get the homeowner's tax break, and that leaves a lot more money at the end of the month for your child.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:56 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
In order to get those bills down, you'd need to make a few thousand dollars worth of efficiency-boosting upgrades, and that only makes sense if you own the house.

I'd budget far less per month. That baby is going to wreck your budget. You're budgeting almost two thirds of income to housing. That isn't going to work.

If it were me, I'd do everything possible to find a nice $80,000 house somewhere and buy it. You will spend MUCH LESS than rent, you get the homeowner's tax break, and that leaves a lot more money at the end of the month for your child.
I agree 100%

Old 01-27-2012, 03:03 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
What they said. Baby is going to be a budget buster. They are very expensive.

200-300 per month is VERY possible. And those other numbers for gas/water/sewer/trash are right on the money.

My top electric bill was over $500 when I had a roommate who was a real power hog. She's gone and I have spent a lot of money on upgrades. I replaced the windows and redid the attic insulation. I still have a lot more to do. Now my electric runs about 250 in the summer. Hopefully, I will get all the doors replaced before cooling season starts and that should help some. If I can, I will replace the appliances too and get the energy efficient ones. I also have a cathedral ceiling. It took me a while but I have finally figured out how to improve the insulation. I keep on plugging away at it as time and finances allow.

You can see, this isn't stuff you would be willing to do to a rental house. If you really want to escape the apartment, limit your search to newer, more energy efficient homes.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 7,281 times
Hmm, thanks guys, very helpful replies.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:45 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
What they said. Baby is going to be a budget buster. They are very expensive.

200-300 per month is VERY possible. And those other numbers for gas/water/sewer/trash are right on the money.

My top electric bill was over $500 when I had a roommate who was a real power hog. She's gone and I have spent a lot of money on upgrades. I replaced the windows and redid the attic insulation. I still have a lot more to do. Now my electric runs about 250 in the summer. Hopefully, I will get all the doors replaced before cooling season starts and that should help some. If I can, I will replace the appliances too and get the energy efficient ones. I also have a cathedral ceiling. It took me a while but I have finally figured out how to improve the insulation. I keep on plugging away at it as time and finances allow.

You can see, this isn't stuff you would be willing to do to a rental house. If you really want to escape the apartment, limit your search to newer, more energy efficient homes.
Do you have a pool?

Old 01-27-2012, 06:50 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,210 times
The reason most apartment bills are higher, is because quite a few of them are all electric.
You would be best to try and get a house that has gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas