Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 06:21 PM

444 posts, read 1,614,655 times
Ok Kai, and then what is this used for exactly?

What good is a license plate just passing through their parking lot?

We have had NO credit cards for 10 years and we still get bombarded with all of the usual stuff via mail and telemarketers.

My personal favorite is the ""This is your last chance to secure an automobile warranty or you WILL be removed from our list and be forced to suffer the consequences."" LMAO They have called me every 3 days for the last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 06:28 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,955 times
The two new Targets will make it three along the 215, I think they are too close together.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:08 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,684,273 times
And that's just in the northern part of town...there's 2 others in other sections of 215 as well...

There's lots of stores it seems to be that are so close together, but the companies obviously feel like there's a need, otherwise they will just start closing locations, however I don't think Target is going anywhere soon...

Old 03-09-2009, 08:53 PM

515 posts, read 1,179,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
i believe CVS does the same thing with your pharmaceutical history as well...
Sooner or later, all the large corps will do that. Target, CVS, Wal-Mart, etc won't sell you drugs unless you give them your health insurance info and home address even if you are paying cash. Its one reason why I patronize mom-and-pop pharmacies.

Quote:
what is the license plate scanning for?
The Public Relations justification is that it is to "ensure the safety of customers" - however, as with all databases, sooner or later it will be used for anything they can think of, like correlating your DMV records with your shopping records and you can expect all government agencies will have warrantless access to it (companies like Target rarely refuse warrantless government requests for information that isn't potentially self-incriminating)

Quote:
i read somewhere that the FBI actually uses Target to find stuff out and that Target has a high-tech forensics lab here in Las Vegas and somewhere else, i can't remember where...
Yes, and they do forensics work for the police for free, all they want in return is "goodwill" from the police department. If you ever have problem with Target, you can count on the cops to be impartial.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:07 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,710,395 times
Quote:
its good to hear that some restaurants are making business because over here on Saturday night, plenty of restaurants had empty parking lots, maybe everyone is going to Summerlin to eat? lol, this was on South Eastern, but lunch time, places were packed, but for some reason businesses also aren't seeming to fare very well on South Eastern lately...
Is south eastern the area around silverado ranch? There are tons of restaurants there right? It seems to be busy when I drive by, but I do not live there so I can't vouch for the few times I've just passed through. I can agree that the restaurants in the summerlin area are busy. We tried to get into Gordon B's and it had 30 min wait, cheese cake was also busy.. ended up at the Suncoast Fridays.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:16 PM

654 posts, read 1,322,543 times
Quote:
i read somewhere that the FBI actually uses Target to find stuff out and that Target has a high-tech forensics lab here in Las Vegas and somewhere else, i can't remember where...
Yes, Target has a forensics lab here. I believe it's related to loss prevention.

My mother works for Target corporate & she knows I've been essentially a non-customer for some time. She agrees their customer service has dropped several notches since they were part of the same corporate umbrella as Dayton's, Marshall Fields and (eventually) Mervyn's. (Never saw the fit with Mervyn's myself.) Several years ago, a couple nasty customer service experiences made it easy to decide to shop elsewhere. (They once lost my receipt behind the counter, admitted it & then said they couldn't do anything for me without it.)

I feel I get much better service at CostCo, Kohls & (to a lesser extent) WalMart. I also get more value for my dollar at each of those stores. Really, I don't have much reason to go to Target. I bought some Xmas clearance stuff at Target in early January & might not go again for several months or longer.

To each his/her own, obviously, but I don't see anything particularly special about Target. Better values and/or service to be had elsewhere.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
Is south eastern the area around silverado ranch? There are tons of restaurants there right? It seems to be busy when I drive by, but I do not live there so I can't vouch for the few times I've just passed through. I can agree that the restaurants in the summerlin area are busy. We tried to get into Gordon B's and it had 30 min wait, cheese cake was also busy.. ended up at the Suncoast Fridays.
yes, that area, Eastern Avenue is very trafficky and busy, but all of a sudden things have been closing left and right...Makino's closed their location on Eastern and it was sold off to someone else, in that same shopping center at least 5 other places have closed...A few stores have recently closed in the Target Greatland shopping center and the Panera Bread/Zaba's/Montesano's/Buffet Asia Shopping Center was completely empty...

We ate at Makino's on South Decatur last night and that place was busy, but it had no wait...

Also further down by MacDonald Ranch, a bunch of independent restaurants closed and a few of them have been converted into Village Pubs and PTs...

Brooklyn Bagels closed down at Eastern and St. Rose as well...And I know of 2 or 3 places that have closed down in the Lowe's shopping center...

Instant Replay now known as the Double Play at LVBS/Richmar used to be very packed at all hours of the day, now even at lunch its empty and they've closed one of the dining rooms at dinner time...Of course the restaurants by the Outlet Mall seem to be doing very well, but they could be from the tourists and Town Square's restaurants are also always very filled up, but the stores aren't always...

Old 03-09-2009, 11:02 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,710,395 times
Quote:
yes, that area, Eastern Avenue is very trafficky and busy, but all of a sudden things have been closing left and right...Makino's closed their location on Eastern and it was sold off to someone else, in that same shopping center at least 5 other places have closed...A few stores have recently closed in the Target Greatland shopping center and the Panera Bread/Zaba's/Montesano's/Buffet Asia Shopping Center was completely empty...

We ate at Makino's on South Decatur last night and that place was busy, but it had no wait...

Also further down by MacDonald Ranch, a bunch of independent restaurants closed and a few of them have been converted into Village Pubs and PTs...

Brooklyn Bagels closed down at Eastern and St. Rose as well...And I know of 2 or 3 places that have closed down in the Lowe's shopping center...

Instant Replay now known as the Double Play at LVBS/Richmar used to be very packed at all hours of the day, now even at lunch its empty and they've closed one of the dining rooms at dinner time...Of course the restaurants by the Outlet Mall seem to be doing very well, but they could be from the tourists and Town Square's restaurants are also always very filled up, but the stores aren't always...
Do you think there was just too many overpriced places to eat? I think people are going for more value now. Since there are less places, maybe that is the ones that are doing well with less competition.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:08 PM

aren't those busy places in Summerlin the ones that are the most expensive?

Old 03-10-2009, 11:33 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,490,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
FWIW - Target is super invasive of your privacy. For example, they are currently deploying automated license-plate scanning systems to all of their parking lots. Its in the news if you google for it and I've spoken with one of the software developers who worked on the database system behind it.

They also track you by your credit card. Every purchase you make goes into their permanent database linked by credit card number. If you ever use that credit card in their pharmacy they will link your entire purchasing history to your home address and health insurance provider and potentially to your employer if the health insurance plan number you give to the pharmacy is unique to your employer (they typically are).
Hence, the name of the store...as one is targeted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas