Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 03:08 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,588,452 times

Advertisements

Wanted to know if there are any reputable agents and companies I should look at for Earthquake Insurance that covers swimming pools along with the homes.

Some of the rates I have been quoted are quite high for Henderson, Nv.

Additionally some rate quotes I have been given are higher for rental homes vs owner occupied.

Can't see a greater exposure with a renter vs homeowner regarding earthquakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 04:55 PM

444 posts, read 1,614,655 times
It may help to research the probability of an earthquake first. It may not be worthwhile.

I know they require earthquake straps on newly installed water heaters now. You can either pay $95 for the plumber to install them or go to Home Depot and buy them for $20 and install them yourself. Yet, I think this has more to do with some plumber assoc getting this requirement passed than a real threat.

We did have a tremor about a year ago, but most of us didn't even feel it. Another thought is that cheap insurance usually means that the coverage is very limited in the fine print. Good Luck.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:20 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,663,718 times
Ah, sorry, that's my fault. Someone persuaded me to dance.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 AM

101 posts, read 314,612 times
I would look into hurricane insurance as well.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:58 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,490,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
Ah, sorry, that's my fault. Someone persuaded me to dance.
fault....that's a good one!

Old 03-13-2009, 02:08 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
In my nearly 45 years in Las Vegas I have noticed one earthquake, and that was about ten years ago. It sounded like a truck hit a telephone pole. It really didn't shake for any length of time. It was more like an explosion. Not unlike the way it felt when they blew up Lefty Rosenthal's car in the Marie Callender parking lot. The epicenter was over in California a long way from here. Several hundred nuclear bombs, which are like earthquakes, were set off just over Sheep Mountain and I never felt one of those, even though I tried. They did sway the tall buildings downtown a little bit but not enough for the guests to notice. They might not even sell you earthquake insurance here.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:27 PM

219 posts, read 764,017 times
Is the odds against a large earthquake high? Yes. But if You do a search on major faults in the area most would be surprised. The Valley full of minor fissures, one that can be seen is the mesa along Sunset drive in Henderson.
The bad news: Pahrump Valley fault line, it is capable of a 7+.It could cause major damage in Las Vegas. It is also visible, take State Highway 372 from Pahrump to Shoshone Ca. At about the State line sign there is a shallow wash. Walk the wash bed, and if You look carefully it appears the dirt and sand meet at a line, and appear to "go against the grain" of the other.It is one side is moving south the other north. It is a similar feature that can be seen in the palm grove in Thousand Palms Ca.
The second major fault line is the Furnace Creek rift zone in Death Valley Ca. The distance is no protection. In the past it has produced very violent events. It will be a disaster for Southen Nevada. If You visit Dante's View in Death Valley and look back east, Mt Charleston is clearly in view. As the crow flys, it a close neighbor.
The last quake felt by most and Myself in the Valley was the Hector Mine event Oct 16 1999. The main shock and two aftershocks were discernible by most.
A fun Las Vegas fact is after Lake Mead started to fill the canyon the shear weight of the water begun to crush the crust of the earth,and thousands of small events were recorded.
We had the insurance when We lived in Henderson, it was about $1000 a year for a 1600 sq ft home. We also carried flood insurane, flood zone or not. I'm just funny about stuff of Mine that could break, long odds or not.

Last edited by Woody7; 03-13-2009 at 02:20 PM..

Old 03-13-2009, 02:26 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
I generally recommend flood insurance particularly in newer tracts where the drainage ain't clear. After a couple of gully washers you can forget about it. But I would wait until I know where a whole lot of water would go.

Earthquake insurance generally has such a high deductible that you almost need to be totalled to collect. If it were not real cheap I would not go there. Suffering heavy damage in a frame stucco house needs a really big quake. And it has to be big damage...off the foundation and such to really do any good. The deductible won't be covered by damage inside unless you got some real valuable stuff...which you would likely have had to separately declare.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:19 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
I guess about anyplace in the U.S. is susceptible to earthquakes. It obvious why they worry about them in California, but why do people worry so much about them here and not in other places where they also get minor shakes?

Old 03-14-2009, 09:45 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
I would say that a large bet on 8 the hard way has a FAR better chance of paying off then buying quake insurance....there ARE falut lines tho.....go west on Alta past Decatur...the hill is an old fault from what I"ve been told....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas