Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 03:34 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,662,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwlv View Post
Our collections agent for our HOA said they only took back 3 units out of 10,000 that went to collection last year.
Who's your HOA? We have Red Rock Financial, and they're quite evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 04:58 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,317,694 times
No I do not have a communal wall. We do not live in Las Vegas yet but have been looking at homes seriously for the last 15 years. We have now finally decided on Summerlin once our house sells. Here in Ohio it is very common to control what can be grown in the backyard. There is no such thing as block walls here and in fact, fences are not even allowed in most nice neighborhoods and only split rail open fences if allowed. Everyone can see in everyone else's backyard. I'm sure no one wants to see an unruly vegetable garden. In our case, we all live around a lake so view is very important. I would just rent this house and come on out but that is not allowed either. I was one of the people who rewrote these Deed Restrictions after the builder passed them. In retrospect, my only regrets were not thinking ahead to include an esculation clause on the dues. Ours were just raised 34%. I have read the convenants for Sun city Summerlin and their's are limited to 1 - 2% a year. The majority of residents there seem pleased with the HOA but that is not what I am hearing from Anthem. In fact another thing I access on line is their local current forum and I cannot believe the back biting and fighting that seems to go on there. I think a 55+ community will be a good fit for me because my biggest concern is getting out there and not having lots of friends. My husband has liver cancer and it will be a job in itself for me to drive 3 days with 3 big dogs, hoping to arrive somewhat simultaneously with the moving van and settle in a new place if it's hard to meet people.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:41 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,470,355 times
Oh, OK jjameson, I was wondering about that backyard thing here in Las Vegas...thank you for clarifying your location.

I have a friend that lives in Sun City Summerlin and one that lives in Sun City Aliante. They both love their communities and are very happy! I don't have any info about Anthem though.

Also, you might like Siena, in Summerlin (adult community). My tax guy lives there (he is also the bookkeeper for that community) and he raves about it!

Start your search, prayers to you and the hubby, and good luck!

Old 04-08-2009, 12:00 AM

29 posts, read 163,361 times
can you give me the link to their forum? thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
No I do not have a communal wall. We do not live in Las Vegas yet but have been looking at homes seriously for the last 15 years. We have now finally decided on Summerlin once our house sells. Here in Ohio it is very common to control what can be grown in the backyard. There is no such thing as block walls here and in fact, fences are not even allowed in most nice neighborhoods and only split rail open fences if allowed. Everyone can see in everyone else's backyard. I'm sure no one wants to see an unruly vegetable garden. In our case, we all live around a lake so view is very important. I would just rent this house and come on out but that is not allowed either. I was one of the people who rewrote these Deed Restrictions after the builder passed them. In retrospect, my only regrets were not thinking ahead to include an esculation clause on the dues. Ours were just raised 34%. I have read the convenants for Sun city Summerlin and their's are limited to 1 - 2% a year. The majority of residents there seem pleased with the HOA but that is not what I am hearing from Anthem. In fact another thing I access on line is their local current forum and I cannot believe the back biting and fighting that seems to go on there. I think a 55+ community will be a good fit for me because my biggest concern is getting out there and not having lots of friends. My husband has liver cancer and it will be a job in itself for me to drive 3 days with 3 big dogs, hoping to arrive somewhat simultaneously with the moving van and settle in a new place if it's hard to meet people.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:28 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentel View Post
what if

1) your family is visiting from out of town. they can't park on the street overnight?
2) your household has two cars but you have one of those one car garages. you can't park the other car on the street?
3) you are traveling on business so you can't take your trash can in. you have to work late and you can't take your trash can in. what happens?

jjameson992, i searched for those terms. still can't find the actual bylaws and cc&r.
you still get fined or get a violation, the cars may get towed, we've had constant fights with HOAs over the stupid car on street rule and never win...

sometimes, you can get stupid guest passes for the cars

the HOA assumes that by reading the CC&Rs before buying the house, you should've understood what has to be done with ur cars and is seen as ur fault and not theirs

the trash can thing may also end up with a fine

Old 04-08-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
No, they're all evil. If they can force a foreclosure over $1,900 in back "dues", then should be lined up against the wall, and shot. No blindfold, no last cigarette.
this may be a little blunt and i understand that you may not have been thinking of this in the beginning, but by buying a house in an association, wouldn't you have known in the beginning that they can use due process and force a foreclosure, if you are uncomfortable with that, then why buy in an HOA in the first place

i understand however that circumstances do change, but this is something that one must consider when buying into an HOA

Old 04-08-2009, 01:44 AM

29 posts, read 163,361 times
can you tell me which HOA you're in? dm me if you wish. thanks.

btw, are there rules that say you can't even park your car on your driveway? it's bad enough that you have to park the second car on the driveway. it's gets real annoying real fast, especially in the morning when two people have to go to work. one car is always blocking the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
you still get fined or get a violation, the cars may get towed, we've had constant fights with HOAs over the stupid car on street rule and never win...

sometimes, you can get stupid guest passes for the cars

the HOA assumes that by reading the CC&Rs before buying the house, you should've understood what has to be done with ur cars and is seen as ur fault and not theirs

the trash can thing may also end up with a fine

Old 04-08-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentel View Post
can you tell me which HOA you're in? dm me if you wish. thanks.

btw, are there rules that say you can't even park your car on your driveway? it's bad enough that you have to park the second car on the driveway. it's gets real annoying real fast, especially in the morning when two people have to go to work. one car is always blocking the other.
We are currently renting, but i believe the name of the association that we are in is called West Agate HOA or Maintenance Association, we are also not allowed to park on the driveways in this HOA since it is considered against Fire Code, the driveways arent long enough to even allow a car, so you would be parked halfway into the street...in this neighborhood, we have 2 cars in the 2 car garage and the other 2 cars are in the parking lot next to the neighborhood pool which is allowed for residents, when that parking lot gets filled up, we have to park in the desert, since they demolished half of the parking lot due to pool maintenance and adding solar heating to the pool, they haven't sent parking patrol out to the guest spots either, since there are no spots to park at, we also have guest parking sprinkled throughout the neighborhood that requires guest passes, otherwise it gets fined or towed and they check license plates to see if the car is registered to an address in the community or not

we were not allowed to park overnight in the Green Valley Ranch HOA where we also rented, but you were allowed to park on the driveway, we had a very large driveway and could fit 4 cars on it and the garage full of stuff we now have in a storage unit that still hasn't been looked at since we moved from NJ 12 years ago...when people visited we got violations...oh well...

Old 04-08-2009, 06:49 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,662,283 times
I didn't buy the house, Kewl, my folks did. I had no say in the matter, not even in picking the house. Our neighborhood back in California didn't have an HOA.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:13 PM

482 posts, read 1,371,471 times
RPMG manages many complexes in vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas