Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:22 PM

4 posts, read 8,947 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are transferring to Nellis AFB, I will be working in the hospital.

After doing much research on this forum we are considering the Centinial Hills or Green Valley/Henderson areas. Wondering if anyone could offer advice to us regarding our wish list for finding a home:

Our price range is $150,000 - $200,000. Looking for a 3 BR 2 Bath (would like a pool but not super important), 1500 SQ ft, 4,000 lot size, No children, we're a professional young couple. I will only be stationed at Nellis for 3-years so am looking for a home we won't have to put a lot of work in to (so newer home preferred). Want to be close to dining, shopping, hiking, running trails, etc.

Any recommendations? Neighborhoods? Advice. Anything will help.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 08:40 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,688,069 times
I think Centennial Hills, Aliante, pretty much anything north of Alexander and west of I-15 would work IMO...you don't want to commute from the south to Nellis AFB with all the I-15 construction going on as of now...It would be very easy to take 215 to Lamb or I-15 and then taking Craig to the base...

Old 05-14-2009, 08:42 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
i agree.. centennial hills is nice, all of northwest is nice, and also aliante

Old 05-14-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
I think Centennial Hills, Aliante, pretty much anything north of Alexander and west of I-15 .
Do u know the zip code of this area?

Regarding the FWY construction, how long should this last? Just wondering if it would be do-able for some months or a year.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:53 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
Zip for Aliante is 89084.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:59 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,688,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBNTA View Post
Do u know the zip code of this area?

Regarding the FWY construction, how long should this last? Just wondering if it would be do-able for some months or a year.
i dont even know how long it would last on I-15, its been a year so far and they are still reconstructing bridges and ramps north of the Spaghetti Bowl and still constructing Express lanes south of Sahara, which is making it a mess for N/S Commuters...I go through it almost daily and I am starting to get very tired of it during rush hour, especially Friday nights because of the Strip...

I'd imagine at least 2 more years, didn't it take at least 3 years for them to finish the mess on 95?

If you are working on Nellis, I'd say just to stick to the North or NW, its much easier just to take 215 or even Craig road to get to the Base...

Old 05-14-2009, 09:19 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Just closing an air force MD on a 2000 SF house with very nice pool in El Dorado. That is about 8 or 10 year old and very convenient to the base. Low 200s.

That is about 15 to 20 minutes from the hospital.

Further west is Aliante...which adds 7 to 10 minutes. And past that is the vast and best buy NW...including Centennial which adds another 5 to 15 minutes.

Stay north...without children there is no rationale for a long commute.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Just closing an air force MD on a 2000 SF house with very nice pool in El Dorado. That is about 8 or 10 year old and very convenient to the base. Low 200s.

That is about 15 to 20 minutes from the hospital.

Further west is Aliante...which adds 7 to 10 minutes. And past that is the vast and best buy NW...including Centennial which adds another 5 to 15 minutes.

Stay north...without children there is no rationale for a long commute.
THANKS! Good info. Any areas around here we should avoid? Also, we heard that we are more likely to at least break even (or make $) if we decide to sell in 3 years if we choose Green Valley - any thoughts that this may be the same for Cent. Hills/Aliante/El Dorado?

Thanks!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:18 PM

430 posts, read 1,312,573 times
Avoid the Pig Farm Area. Yep, you read that right. In North Las Vegas there is a large pig farm and yes there are plenty of subdivisions in its backyard that stink. You can google "Las Vegas Pig Farm" for the address. Stay away from anything in the N. Commerce, Ann and Losee Rd area. Neighborhoods near those streets can be odorous. Looked at a place off Camino al Norte and as soon as we got out of the car we could smell it. It wasn't a windy day either, very calm and 90.

Since we are chatting about the North and Northwest. Anyone know when they project finishing the 215 so it isn't all stop lights?

Old 05-15-2009, 11:07 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBNTA View Post
THANKS! Good info. Any areas around here we should avoid? Also, we heard that we are more likely to at least break even (or make $) if we decide to sell in 3 years if we choose Green Valley - any thoughts that this may be the same for Cent. Hills/Aliante/El Dorado?

Thanks!
This is Vegas...bet your money and take your chances.

GV was hit much less hard. Went up and came down about the same amount.

The areas of the NW have just been whacked. Much sold initially at the peak and is down to half or so of that. Much of the NW is priced well below its replacement costs. The same is true of Aliante.

I would buy something nice in there...Club Aliante or Tule Springs Ranch as mildly upper examples...and then enjoy my three years.

I will give you 99% that you will enjoy your stay more than you would in GV...and you will likely do better than GV on value recovery.

Don't get me wrong. If this thing is nasty enough you could lose a little money on either. But you got a better shot and will live better in the North.

And actually GV or the north are a lot better bet than renting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas