Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:55 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,474,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMemphis View Post
My girlfriend and I were going to try to make a quick weekend stop in Vegas on our drive from Albuquerque to LA. Some of the threads around here are making me think otherwise, however. Is it even worth visiting anymore? Some people make it sound like a deserted hellhole, basking in a shadow of what it once was. For someone who's never been and isn't expecting anything mindblowing, could it still be a fun weekend?

Also, what is there to do other than gambling? I'll probably play a few slot machines or something, but I'm not huge into gambling. I like the 24 hour alcohol laws though; staying out until 6 AM sipping drinks sounds great.

From your post it seems like Las Vegas may not be a worthwhile place for you to visit, you sound like you wouldn't enjoy it....no matter what. So, just keep on your way to L.A, don't bother stopping and I think you'll be happier!

Last edited by MomMom; 05-18-2009 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 01:32 PM

218 posts, read 840,466 times
Some people on here have sure taken an odd stance on my post. I was just wondering if it's worth visiting as a non-gambler...if you look around, a lot of the posts on here aren't exactly "upbeat" on the city lately. Just trying to get another point of view...

Old 05-18-2009, 01:44 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Actually we love our city.. Your post says your feelings are negative, so i'm with the others..keep going to LA

Old 05-18-2009, 01:53 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
I'd suggest you DO stop in Las Vegas, Alltheway' ...nothing in your opening post leads me to believe you were trying to bash Las Vegas. Sure, you'll read a lot of negative things about any city.

Las Vegas is vibrant and still offers a lot of fun activities even in this recession. Hellhole? deserted? ...hardly.

My personal opinion is that you'll kick yourself for NOT stopping ...even if just to prove to yourself that the negative things you've heard are not true. Just being in Las Vegas is invigorating because of its ambiance ...just like a lot of folks say of L.A. or N.Y. Enjoy your visit.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:08 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Some people on here have sure taken an odd stance on my post. I was just wondering if it's worth visiting as a non-gambler...if you look around, a lot of the posts on here aren't exactly "upbeat" on the city lately. Just trying to get another point of view...
OK, let's just take the view that maybe we were wrong about your attitude. The straight answer is that if you can enjoy yourself anywhere, you'll be happy as a pig is s***...er, ah....a pig wallow...in Las Vegas, and you don't have to gamble a penny to have a fantastic time.

A long time ago, in a Vegas far, far, away, the late Red McIlvane and I produced a 30 minute sales video for Ch 3 execs to use in convincing time buyers in Nuevo York on the virtues of advertising in Las Vegas. The attitude of outsiders, particularly snobby New Yorkers, was pretty much the same as it is now. They have the LVC&VA marketing view of Las Vegas in their heads, but don't have a clue about the real place as a highly livable community located in the center of, and a reasonable drive to, the most beautiful areas of the United States, and where there is so much more going on than just slot machines and nude dancers. You all are familiar with this phrase used for most resorts: "It's a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there." The title of our video was, "It's a great place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there." Which was tongue in cheek of course, because back then, as it still is now, it was the best vacation in the country.

Because everything to do in and around Las Vegas isn't always obvious, anyone coming here should do some research, and with computers that's easy. Do a search on this site and you'll come up with more fun things to do that isn't gambling than you could do in ten years living here. And actually, that's the same anywhere you go on vacation.

Last edited by Buzz123; 05-18-2009 at 02:34 PM..

Old 05-18-2009, 02:21 PM

367 posts, read 817,931 times
Quote:
I just moved here from Memphis, actually.

Lots more non-gambling things to do here than in the Memphis area. And safer, too.

I particularly like the nature-oriented stuff, and there's some great museums.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:55 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
It is a wonder of the world. A place fully the equivalent of London or Paris or NYC or Rio or Beijing or Cartagena or Puerto Vallarta.

It is not perfect. But until you have tried it a few times you have no right to judge it.

For a visitor it is one of the eternal places. Thousands of very smart people trying to make it a wonderful experience for you. That is why it exists.

Sure London is wonderful. I love it there. But you are only an accident. In fact you have to learn how to enjoy London. It is not considered important that you should know.

But Vegas wants you to enjoy. It is important. It is a very large portion of why we exist.

So do you want those who suffer you...or those who want to please you.

Think about where you want to be...

Old 05-22-2009, 03:45 AM

6 posts, read 22,669 times
I don't drink or gamble, but before moving here I loved visiting just for the people watching, mingling, and the overall excitement.

Been here 3 years, and I still enjoy an occasional trip to The Strip.

We are still very busy, seems the crowds are here, but the gambling is down.

Granted, we don't have a Little Anita's like Albuquerque, or some of the glitter of LA, but it's worth a 24 hour layover.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:57 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,829 times
Vegas is ALWAYS a good place to visit... even if to just "people watch". It never gets old

Old 05-22-2009, 08:53 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,474,424 times
Last night on Channel 8 news they reported that for this weekend, room occupancy is already at 94% full!!!

There ain't no place on Earth like Las Vegas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas