Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 08:56 AM

527 posts, read 2,169,989 times

Advertisements

I and my wife are planning to visit Las Vegas this year end anytime between 24th and 31st December. I have a few queries

1. Is this a good time to visit vegas ?
2. Is this a peak time where i would have to pay more for everything like accommodation etc ?
3. I will be traveling from Dallas, TX so please suggest best method of Travel to Vegas.
4. Suggest some decent reasonably priced accommodations in Vegas.( Under 60-80$ a day, would love if breakfast is included, cheaper the better)

PS: My dates are not fixed but i plan to travel on 24/25th

More queries later. I need to first figure out the best way to reach there and back and also if the costs permit me
Will appreciate your inputs and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 09:12 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,817,252 times
Do you really wanna drive 1200 miles thru Christmas eve interstate traffic?
Fly.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:39 AM

^^Yes yes i don't intend to drive, so was checking other options like flight / bus / train / not sure.
I am new to the USA and have limited knowledge about modes of transport for interstate / city travels.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:41 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,004,431 times
You are looking at one of the slowest times of the year. Don't know if they still do it but the Orleans usually has some free days through lasvegas advisor. It gets real busy around the 28th for new years. Flights will be high for your return

Old 10-10-2011, 12:29 PM

Can you tell me what is the average fare of return flight from Dallas to Las Vegas ?
This can help me in getting a low down of what the prices i should be expecting.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:04 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
You are looking at one of the slowest times of the year. Don't know if they still do it but the Orleans usually has some free days through lasvegas advisor. It gets real busy around the 28th for new years. Flights will be high for your return
Like, "good luck even FINDING a room at a reasonable rate" busy. I'd adjust the travel dates forward -- Dec. 20-27 -- if looking for a rock-bottom vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak007 View Post
Can you tell me what is the average fare of return flight from Dallas to Las Vegas ?
This can help me in getting a low down of what the prices i should be expecting.
Try kayak.com. That site is great for such queries. Use the "my dates are flexible" option when searching DFW to LAS flights.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:24 PM

932 posts, read 2,348,786 times
Quote:
That's impossible to determine without knowing the specific dates you'll be traveling. Many airlines have different rates for different days of the week, and usually, the farther in advance you can book, the cheaper rate you'll find.

Southwest is usually among the cheapest. Go to southwest.com and plug in some possible dates to get a better idea.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:38 PM

Actually 27th December is my first wedding anniversary and hence i want to be in Vegas at that time
So i guess i will be forking out more for my preference of dates but i am sure i dont want to be there at new year's time.
Checked hotels like Circus Circus and average rates come to be like 54$ per night.

Btw would you suggest living in a off strip hotel like Best Western (36-40$ per night) and walking down to the strip whenever we want. We don't mind walking 1-2 miles one way

Old 10-10-2011, 04:57 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,365,413 times
Quote:
Actually 27th December is my first wedding anniversary and hence i want to be in Vegas at that time
So i guess i will be forking out more for my preference of dates but i am sure i don't want to be there at new year's time.
Checked hotels like Circus Circus and average rates come to be like 54$ per night.

BTW would you suggest living in a off strip hotel like Best Western (36-40$ per night) and walking down to the strip whenever we want. We don't mind walking 1-2 miles one way
Best Western is a good deal, especially depending on which Best Western you have in mind. I just took a ten day driving around Oregon vacation, and we stayed in Best Westerns every night for the points. Only one was a little iffie, and one or two were great. But personally I wouldn't want to have to walk that far knowing all the walking you'll do after you get to the Strip. I guess it also depends on what you plan to do in Las Vegas. I assume you want to spend most of your time on the Strip? The Strip is four miles long, and by the time you go in and out of a few hotels, it will be four miles wide too. Then from the north end of the Strip it is another four miles to downtown Fremont Street. There are city buses, but don't know if you'd get one from your hotel. I'd make the reservations direct with the hotel front desk rather than from an 800 number, and ask the desk clerk about transportation.

Like owelles said, Southworst Airlines is your best bet. I'm not sure what the Wanna Get Away fares are all about, but they have some that are less than $150 to get here, and only $88 to get get back, assuming you're going back to Dallas. I plugged in Dec 25 to Dec 31. I think leaving Las Vegas on New Years Eve is cheap because nobody flies out of here that day. I've never traveled on Christmas Day, but I've heard it is cheaper and easier to get flights because people don't travel much that day either. Christmas Eve could be a zoo at most airports though. Southwest Airlines - Select Flight(s)

Old 10-10-2011, 05:02 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,365,413 times
When making reservations, I suggest calling the airlines direct and ask for the promotion deals. Don't be shy about it. And I'd look up rates on the hotel websites, then find one that looks good and call the desk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas