Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:33 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,345,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
got news for you, its worse in cleveland
Is it really that bad in Cleveland? Worse than LV? I noticed OH actually saw a slight dip in unemployment last month, but I think it was just book-cooking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 08:42 PM

To your original post: I'd agree that option # 1 (RE) is not very good. The barriers to entry are very low in that field, so too many people enter and it gets competitive, especially in places like Vegas. The other options aren't that great either, but I'd lean towards them over RE.

Is it possible for you to try for some sort of trade or vocational trading (industrial, health, etc.)?

Old 09-22-2009, 08:45 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,039,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
To your original post: I'd agree that option # 1 (RE) is not very good. The barriers to entry are very low in that field, so too many people enter and it gets competitive, especially in places like Vegas. The other options aren't that great either, but I'd lean towards them over RE.

Is it possible for you to try for some sort of trade or vocational trading (industrial, health, etc.)?
believe it or not i have a bachelors in business admin.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Is it really that bad in Cleveland? Worse than LV? I noticed OH actually saw a slight dip in unemployment last month, but I think it was just book-cooking.
actually much worse.. they aren't even taking applications.... besides i just left so i wouldn't have to shovel snow anymore

Old 09-22-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
believe it or not i have a bachelors in business admin.
That's not exactly what I meant. What I meant is do you have the ability (including time, resources and whatever else is involved) to obtain some specialized training? For ex: Nurse, Radiographer, Allied Health, Electrician, Welding, etc.

Those trade type fields are usually in fairly stable demand, though some of those that cycle based on the Housing industry are weak now.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:00 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,081,381 times
I had three friends go to bar tending school in the last three years, and none of them currently work as a bar tender. Only one ever worked as a bar tender. They said everyone wants experience. You'll either need to be a good looking female (one of my friends was that and she did get a job, but it was really bad dive bar and she ended up quitting).

I agree you'll need to go the barback route to realistically become a bar tender.

How about nursing school? That seems to be where everyone I know has gravitated to

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
3. Just go join the Culinary /Bartender union and get a job as a barback. Take the test in two years and become a bartender.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:24 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,855,519 times
I hate to break it to you airics, but all 3 options are horrible. RE, way too many agents and market conditions have made closing deals much more difficult and about to get even harder with new restrictions being put forth by some of the major lenders regarding Reg Z and Reg C. Remember that guidelines and legislation are reactionary, not forward thinking so basically we are seeing solutions to problems that don't exist anymore.

I personally know bartenders that were making damn close to, if not at or above, 6 figures a few years ago. These guys are just barely scraping by now and most, if not all, of them have filed Ch 7 bk's.

Same story with dealers. Very difficult field to get into. I had some friends that went to dealer school and unless you are already established at a place (like their parents were) you are going to have a difficult time.

Also stay away from heavy equipment operations or CDL driving. There is zero work here although there are still plenty of schools out here for these types of things. I was a heavy equipment operator/CDL driver/foreman by trade before I got into mortgages and to be honest with you, as crazy as it sounds, I got into mortgages kind of by necessity. I am getting out though. More info upcoming in the chat thread.

ETA: Similar to what I am looking into, try state and federal government. They are hiring big time right now, and the job I have linked might be perfect for you (or might not, just going off of the Business Admin degree). https://nvapps.state.nv.us/NEATS/Rec...itmentId=10230

Old 09-23-2009, 12:15 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,286,426 times
Airics,

I know of a place that will hire you immediately, no questions asked. My roommate works for them, and they need lots of people immediately. You will be working as a security guard. All that is required is $90 for a 5 year guard card, and a clean criminal record.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:17 AM

can you dm me the details

Old 09-23-2009, 12:24 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,286,426 times
Quote:
can you dm me the details
Yes, I will go ahead and get the information from my roommate tomorrow (I am at work right now), and forward it to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas